Wont start after fueling up - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cheesehead
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Wont start after fueling up

Hey guys major issue here, left work last night seeing I had 1/4 tank of fuel left stopped and fueled up, now truck cranks but wont start, had to resort to local dealer, they just called stating I have lost fuel pressure, reading 6-700psi while cranking, their quoting 3-4k to replace lift pump and fuel rails, but warning me that if they find contamination in the plumbing it will be a total fuel system rebuild with injectors [email protected] 10K. current mileage 205k and no history of issues minus a occasional misfire on #4 injector, any thought on the direction I should take or any recommendations for a duramax tech on the southside of Atlanta

2004.5 GMC Ex Cab 2500 HD 4X4 Duramax 6.6 Blocked, Rerouted, Michelin LTX-AT2 285-75-R16, Line-X Bedliner, Bilstein Shocks,A.R.E. Topper Scangauge2, Merchant Transfer Case Upgraded,Compustar remote start
Current Miles 205000
2008 Audi A6 S6 Quattro (Da Wife's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Any codes. Was just running and now it won’t start after fill up . I doubt it’s your pump.

It takes about 2500 PSI rail pressure for the injectors to deliver fuel and the engine to start.
Confirm actual versus desired rail pressure, even under crank no start conditions
Fuel pressure regulator, check to make sure it is not stuck.
Check rail pressure when engine is off, it should be 1.0-1.8 MPa(145-261 PSI) LB7 and LLY,
Before condemning the high pressure pump you need to make sure there are no high pressure fuel leaks. Use the EN-47589 (same block-off caps as #9011 SPX Miller tools) cap set to cap off the injector rail to isolate the injectors from the injector return system.
Remove the ignition 1 relay and crank the engine for 2 – 15 second intervals, the high pressure pump should pull at least 12 inches of Hg vacuum. If air gets into the system it will cause a false/low reading.
Before condemning the pump for a starting issue you need to be certain that the high pressure fuel system is not leaking the pressure. Perform the injector return flow test.
If there has been a major contamination issue with dirt and or water then it is very likely that the high pressure pump will need to be replaced. However, the injectors are typically damaged first, but any contamination that got into the injectors went through the CP3 pump first.
The most common failure of the high pressure pump is the inability to keep up with high fuel demand such as towing a trailer up a hill. This problem will usually set a low rail pressure code.
Other Notes:
• If the vehicle has starting issues then the injectors are the most likely cause. Perform the injector return flow test.
• If the vehicle only acts up during a hard pull with a load and there are no restriction issues then it is more likely a HP CP3 pump causing the problem. A limit valve could also cause this problem.

The average cost for a diesel injection pump replacement is between $1715 and $2705. Labor costs are estimated between $517 and $653 while parts are priced between $1198 and $2052. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Why do they want to replace your fuel rails?
I think there just guessing.
Could be just fuel supply. There’s a hundred test they must perform to determine it’s the pump.

Your pump 97780091 is $920.91 + $600 Labor =$1520.91

Last edited by Rvn4me; 02-15-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
CHEVYJEFF
Diesel Apprentice

Lone Star Diesels Member

Id change the fuel filter and check the fuel filter housing and rubber lines at tank and filter housing for air leaks before I would trust that diagnosis.

6" RCD lift w/ bilstiens, cognito tie rods, pitman/idler braces, roller bearing idler arm mount, uca's and sway bar links. New oem pitman and moog idler arm, new design ISS, 2" muffler clamp and "NO ISS CLUNK".

All stock LLY except LBZ MP, egr blocker w/ fingerstick, PCV re-route and a 4" magnaflow exhaust combined w/ a MBRP cat delete down pipe.

Rolls on Raceline 17x9 wheels w/ 35X12.5X17 Toyo open count mt's, AMP electric steps, t-rex billet grill, frontier grill guard, Avalanche roof rack and escalade door handles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cheesehead
Glow Plug

Had a roll back get it out of the dealer and over to Garmon Diesel down in Griffin Ga, Jeff said he would look at it and talking with him last week with a #4 injector misfire code back then I trust him with my truck, will give feed back what he finds, and my scanner and the dealers found no codes, I have no history of hard starts, the reason I took it to Jeff a week ago or so was on occasion i would get blue smoke at extended time stop lights, and thats when he found #4 misfire code. So we were going to chase that down when he had a spot open up. Thank you guys I will post back what he finds.
2004.5 GMC Ex Cab 2500 HD 4X4 Duramax 6.6 Blocked, Rerouted, Michelin LTX-AT2 285-75-R16, Line-X Bedliner, Bilstein Shocks,A.R.E. Topper Scangauge2, Merchant Transfer Case Upgraded,Compustar remote start
Current Miles 205000
Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
CmnSnse
Self Ignition

Just make sure the filter head is not losing prime first. Just rebuilt mine because of no start, the CP3 has to suck fuel all the way from the tank. At 14+ years an air leak could be anywhere...
'05 LLY ExCab W/Shortbed, 4" turbo back exh. Rear Air Lift Air Springs W/PVC Accumulators = SOFT Ride, '06 Tow Mirrors W/Super Bright AMBER LED Signals, Russel SS Brake Lines, Bilstein 5100's, Tuff Country Traction Bars (Brackets Modified to fit with Air Springs) Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, DIY LED High Mount, Edge Insight CTS, EFI Live = 22 to 28 MPG!
91 gal X-fer tank ~ 2000mi. range unloaded
Pass Rear Axle Seal at 35k mi. (Park Brake Bind & Overheat)
Front Shafts Removed at 50k due to seal leak (Hubs Bolted) Front Hubs at 80 and 90k mi. (Started south at 45k) Both Hubs again at 308,580 mi.
Dash Gauges Fail at 185,000, Rebuilt at 295,000, All Rotors/Pads at 296,000 Transfer case rub at 243k mi. Merchant Auto Pump Upgrade + JB Weld Steering got loose at 35k, replaced w/cheap parts at ~400,000.
Water/Pump at 308,580 mi. Hydroboost at 312,000, Frnt Shocks/Ball Joints at 326,000
Pinion Seal at 352,200, front axles reinstalled at 432,000 Diff fixed
Turbo rebuild at 455,136 with slightly scored bushing
Currently at 606,005
Original FPR+CP3+Injectors are hangin in there
Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
RTSMAX
Glow Plug

Ck battery voltage!
PVC Reroute
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cheesehead
Glow Plug

Sorry for the delay....Well after a couple hundred in towing bills here's the scimmy..

The stealer it first went to said I have no fuel pressure (shocking) and quoted me anywhere from 4K to 10 K to replace cp3 pump (4K) and if it blew itself up they would need to replace all the fuel plumbing and injectors 10 K.

Had them push it out of the stall to be loaded up again on a roll back and taken to Garmin diesel in Griffin Ga. I had atken it to him a week or two prior for it blowing blue smoke at extended time stop lights, he scanned it and said #4 injector was misfiring. he would order a new one and get back to me.

4 days later I called Jeff, he made it clear when i had it taken to him that hos shop was slammed so i did not push, on that call he told me ( Bob it cranked it and it would not fire, i then hit the primer pump a couple times and it lit off and ran fine)

Now I bled this two times at the fuel pumps when it would not start after fueling up, so what in the sam hell is going on I ask you all.

So today March 6th, truck is starting and running fine, minus the blue smoke at the stop light this morning, I am at a total loss and after i heal a dislocated right ankle I got the primer pump head rebuild kit from Merchant and will open up the wire harness to #4 injector and inspect (I undid the tye wrap at the alternator when I bought the truck in 05), will post what I find, thanks for the replies guys
Current Miles 205000

Last edited by OkDually; 03-06-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: lv
Old 03-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

thanks for following up. hopefully the issue doesn't return.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cheesehead
Glow Plug

Well I have rebuilt the filter/primer pump head unit, replaced the connector to #4 injector that was supposedly misfiring. I now have no current issues, but no explanation of what the heck happened after fueling up. So onward we go. Contemplated getting a new truck and after some research I squashed that idea!!! Now if anyone knows of a good body shop to the southwest of Hotlanta please pass along its refurbish time for the old gal, get some rusted body work replaced and motor mods ie EGR delete, upgraded turbo ect and probably just bite the bullet and replace all the injectors. So if anyone has a shop near me they can recommend please do. Skip Garmon Diesel in Griffin he never called back to replace #4 injector when I took it to him last.
Current Miles 205000
Old 04-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Durabiopwr
Diesel Fanatic

If its running fine now why do you think you need injectors? They will last alot longer than 200K.
You had a leak on the suction side of the fuel system (it is suction all the way to the high pressure pump on stock duramax) and you were getting air in the system. Air in the system can cause smoking and no start condition when prime is lost. Very common on a older duramax.

Put a lift pump on it at the tank and call it good other than your body work you want to do.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in