Eng going into Limp mode, HELP - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Eng going into Limp mode, HELP

So, folks I need some help, we have a 2005 Silverado 3500 DRW LB 4x4 with the LLY Eng. We are full time RVers and have had no problems the last 2 yrs. towing a 15,000# worth of 5th wheel. Well I have had the truck go into what I think is the ďlimp modeĒ from what I can tell based on some quick internet searching 3 times the last month or so while towing. First time was after about an hour of towing over to the coast and on the last hill after starting up it happened until we got over (small hill, maybe 7 or 800 Ft elevation) and then it ran normal the last 2 miles to the rv park. The 2nd time we were not towing but again going up a slight incline but this time it only lasted about 5 min than back to normal driving. The 3rd time was about 4 or 5 min into towing and just as we started a very slight incline but it stayed in that for the whole 10-mile trip to go pump out. After being shut off while pumping it ran normal for 3 or 4 min on the trip back then back into limp. Ok the truck has run normal for well over 300 Ė 400 miles in-between these events at all speeds, normal sounding and feeling shifts, up or down inclines. It will run ok up to about 28mph and maybe 2500 to 2600 RPMs at about half throttle. If I try to give it more it starts to surge / buck. I canít get any more speed or RPMs but if I back off the gas it returns to fairly normal but at these limits. There has been no overrev like the tranny is slipping or anything. I had tranny fully serviced about 15,000 miles ago and its full of good-looking fluid. I changed the fuel filter and it looked good as well. I have looked in the eng compartment and find no obvious shorted wiring. I am going to take it to a shop I know and see if it showing any error codes but Iím not real hopeful thatís going to show much if anything. So, any Ides as to other things I can look at / for. I really canít afford an expensive repair at the min. We can sit where we are for the time being here in Oregon as the truck seems to do fine if Iím not towing. But Yuma would be a much warmer location... LOL
Any thoughts or advice are very much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

You'll Need to check for any DTC codes first to know what direction to go..
Could be air in fuel system

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 11-27-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Firstly, engine limp (reduced engine power) is an absolute cap on engine rpms. When in limp, the maximum engine rpms are 2000. And, it won't go away without a restart. If it goes over 2000rpm, when this occurs, and it clears without cycling the ignition, it isn't in limp mode.

Out of curiosity, what condition is the engine air filter?

When you bucking, and surging, is it pronounced (a lot of engine shake/ vibration)?

And, again, as stated above, there will most definitely be one or more fault codes (DTCs) stored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

I am going to try to get it looked at and codes pulled this Fri, thanks. Its just hard for me to understand why it runs fine until a load is on it but thats was I spent a career as a firefighter and not a Auto Mechanic..... LOL Thanks again I am hoping its just a sensor somewhere
Old 11-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

I have several items of suspect on yours, but again, to save your brain power, we need the fault code(s).
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

Well I may be wrong about the trip over to the coast .as to it running ok until i turned it off This last time it ran bad till i got to the dump site, it was turned off and 15 or 20 min later it started and ran good for a few min then back into running bad. as to the rpm limit im not 1005 sure of the top end its been a little bit.... and I'm old LOL
Old 11-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

Air filter replace at time of trans service , about 15,000 miles ago bit i will look at it in the morning
Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

I will come back to post any codes found in a day or 2 ..... thanks guys
Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

and yes seems like it had a lot of engine shake/vibration ... hard to describe as its such a subjective feeling i want to say "jerking" if I tried to give it more throttle but shakeing could be used as well
Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Then, I'd suspect that one of the injector connectors has lost its terminal tension. Very common on my '05 trucks (LLY engine series).

Many on here have used an ice pick to distort the terminals, and subsequently, the connector itself. I prefer to cut off the bad one (this is where the fault code comes in handy), and splice in a replacement connector w/ pigtail. The GM connector update kit is over $200, but, also includes brackets for strain relief. And, it only has 2 connectors, #2 & #7, which have proven to be the most problematic, but, with 4 LLY trucks, I've also seen issues with the connectors in other positions.
Aftermarket connectors are a whole lot less money.

And, if you haven't redressed the the FICM harness at the alternator bracket, now would be a good time to inspect, redress, that area of the harness.

Here, for the harness rub at alternator https://www.justanswer.com/gmc/7hg9e...ramax-lly.html

And, below is a injector connector.

Harness rub at the alternator or injector connector terminal tension are the two that come to mind, based on your symptoms, without having the DTCs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181127-202039_Amazon Shopping.jpg (34.9 KB, 0 views)
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in