LLY: LLY losing prime overnight, NOT filter housing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bkreider252
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LLY losing prime overnight, NOT filter housing

hey guys im aware there are a few other threads about this but i have a unique situation that none of them seemed to solve, so here it goes.

2005 LLY, heavily modified (see my profile), just had it down to bare block to replace head gaskets and the ARP studs that were already in it. (i know, wtf)

so after getting everything back together and fixing a few minor coolant leaks on the thermostat housing bypass, i spend 15 minutes priming the thing and get it running. The air bubbles clean out fairly quickly and the truck runs flawlessly. I get it hot, then change all my fluids out. Then comes my problem.

I go to start the truck the next morning and its completely lost its prime, not a one time deal, ive tried running it and letting it sit a few times now and after a couple hours the prime is gone. I replaced the filter housing today, as well as pulled the fuel fittings apart on the passenger side at the injectors and rail and inpected them and re-tightened them. primed the system, runs perfect again, but 3 hours later, no prime.

I dont think that this leak could be on the low pressure side because the lift pump would prime it (I always run it for 5 seconds before cranking), but I'd love some ideas from you guys before i tear a bunch of crap off to check my cp3 fittings and drivers side rail and injectors. The injectors were also just cleaned, flow-tested, and I installed new o-rings and copper washers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
CHEVYJEFF
Diesel Apprentice

Lone Star Diesels Member

did you pressure test the tank with the valve stem in the gas cap trick to check for leaks on rubber lines at the tank and going to the filter housing?

what fuel pump you using as lift pump?

if its a holley blue or red its probably leaking air from there.

6" RCD lift w/ bilstiens, cognito tie rods, pitman/idler braces, roller bearing idler arm mount, uca's and sway bar links. New oem pitman and moog idler arm, new design ISS, 2" muffler clamp and "NO ISS CLUNK".

All stock LLY except LBZ MP, egr blocker w/ fingerstick, PCV re-route and a 4" magnaflow exhaust combined w/ a MBRP cat delete down pipe.

Rolls on Raceline 17x9 wheels w/ 35X12.5X17 Toyo open count mt's, AMP electric steps, t-rex billet grill, frontier grill guard, Avalanche roof rack and escalade door handles

Last edited by CHEVYJEFF; 01-22-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bkreider252
Gear Grinder

Ok thanks Jeff, I'll give that a shot tonight. I'm leaning towards it being something I had apart when I took the heads off and I'm not seeing any fuel leaks from the lift pump to the filter housing, but it can't hurt to pressure test it. It's a raptor 150gph lift pump by the way. They aren't made anymore, it doesnt have a filter on the lift pump so less likely that my leak is coming from there but ill check all of that out. Thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Running a lift pump, aren't you supposed to remove the check ball in the filter head assembly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bkreider252
Gear Grinder

Hey guys, sorry it took so long to reply I've been running around like crazy for the last week.

Long story short, I misdiagnosed my hard starting as a fuel problem, when my glowplugs weren't working at all. I also had an injector miss caused by a bad pigtail. I replaced the injector pigtail and it's purring like a kitten again.

So onto my glowplug problem, I can manually turn the glowplug relay on using my snap-on scanner and the truck fires right up when cold, but when I cycle the key on, the glow plugs don't work at all and I dont get an icon on the dash. I'm assuming that my relay(control module) is bad? Or am I missing something stupid here...
Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkreider252 View Post
I'm assuming that my relay(control module) is bad? Or am I missing something stupid here...
I hate guessing games is it U0106 #PIP3010A or P0670

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-28-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bkreider252
Gear Grinder

hey guys, sorry again I've been horrible about replying to this.

I have no codes, I've scanned it multiple times. My glowplug relay will run for maybe half a second when I cycle the key and it's 15 degrees out right now. I just replaced the controller and the 175 amp fuse. I just checked all of my brand new glowplugs and they are all tightened down and making good contact. HELP! I'm at a loss right now, why is the relay not running for at least three seconds like it's supposed to?

Truck runs great if I plug it in or fight with it until I get it going.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Durabiopwr
Diesel Fanatic

Does your water temp sensor and outside air temp sensors work? Glow plug time is based on how hot the engine is.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Note that this information pertains specifically for my 2008 model. Maybe something here will ring a bell for you:

Glow Plug System Description

In the diesel engine, air alone is compressed in the cylinder. Then, after the air has been compressed, a charge of fuel is sprayed into the cylinder and ignition occurs, due to the heat of compression. Eight glow plugs are used as an aid to starting.

Control of the instant start system (ISS) glow plugs is accomplished by a glow control module unit and 4.7 volt glow plugs, requiring 2 seconds to heat up to 1,000C (1,832F). The temperature and the power consumption is controlled between the engine control module (ECM) and the controller within a wide range to suit the engine's pre-heating requirements. Each glow plug is energized individually. This capability yields more optimum heat times for the glow plugs, thus pre-glow times can be kept to a minimum for short wait to crank times and maximum glow plug durability. A DTC will set if there is a glow plug system fault.

A normal functioning system operates as follows:

• Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF, and at room temperature.
  • The glow plugs turn ON and heat up in 2 seconds and then are pulse-width modulated (PWM) for another 2 seconds.
  • The glow plug wait lamp is ON for 1 second during cold start.
  • The glow plug wait lamp may not illuminate during a warm engine start.
  • If the engine is cranked during or after the above sequence, the glow plugs may cycle ON and OFF after the ignition switch is returned from the start position, whether the engine starts or not. The engine does not have to be running to terminate the glow plug cycling.
The glow plug initial ON time will vary based on the system voltage and temperature. Lower temperatures cause longer ON times.

The ECM provides glow plug operation after starting a cold engine. This post-start operation is initiated when the ignition switch is returned to Run, from the Start position. This function helps clean up excessive white smoke and/or poor idle quality after starting.

Glow Plugs

The glow plugs are 4.7 volt heaters in each of the cylinders that turn ON, then pulse-width modulated when the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position prior to starting the engine. They remain pulsing a short time after starting, then they are turned OFF.

A Wait to Start lamp on the instrument panel provides information on engine starting conditions. The Wait to Start lamp will not illuminate during post-start glow plug operation.

Glow Plug/Controller

The glow plug controller is a solid state device which operates the glow plugs. The glow plug controller is connected to the following circuits:

• The fuel heater ignition 1 voltage circuit
  • The battery voltage circuit
  • The CAN communication circuit located between the engine control module (ECM) and the glow plug controller
  • The engine ground circuit
  • The glow plug supply voltage circuits located between the glow plug controller and the glow plugs.
The glow plug diagnostic circuits are directly monitored individually by using a separate transistor to control current to each glow plug. Individual diagnosis is thus possible for every glow plug.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 02-03-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in