LLY: HELP P0670 will become a 911 issue by Tuesday evening - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
2500heavydutylb
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

HELP P0670 will become a 911 issue by Tuesday evening

Blew motor, had motor swapped. ****ty mechanic. Of course there's gonna be trouble. Out of the issues I'm having, right now a p0670 is the worst since I'm working in Wisconsin and it's often in the negatives. I can start the truck fine when on a block heater at the rv park, but what am I going to do when I'm at work for 12 hours a day?

Since this motor was just swapped I am expecting something simple yet major to cause this problem. It didn't exist before. Is there a ground wire I could check? I know about the fuse hidden deep inside the UHFB but that also drives the intake heater and would throw a code correct?

I will try to unplug and replug everything an see if that fixes it. I have a strong feeling nowhere within a reasonable driving distance will have another glow plug module in time for me to swap in Tuesday morning, not for a price I would be willing to pay. Also have a constant low coolant message even when tank is full, thinking and hoping this is in the same circuit as that sensor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Here is a thread on the issue
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ighlight=p0670

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
2500heavydutylb
Diesel Student

Thanks, but that didn't really answer my question. That's a throw money at it solution.

I want to verify 1000% the module is dead before I throw money at it. It wasn't dead before the engine was swapped.

Last edited by 2500heavydutylb; 12-31-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
MyShibby65TD
Diesel Head

Besides cutting open the top and looking at the main wires for breaks there is no way to "verify 1000%" the GPCM is the problem.

You can, if you have a one, use a multimeter that measures frequency, or just one with voltage might suffice. Check the voltage at each glow plug against ground. If the meter never moves, then the plugs are obviously not getting power. I did this when mine went bad and gave me enough of a "most likely" answer to buy a new glow plug. While you're at it, check the resistance on each glow plug to make sure they are good.

The plugs are pulse modulated, so the voltage reading may be weird, or bounce, or who knows. Hence why I said if you have a meter that measures frequency and peak voltage would be best (aka a scope).

SOLD 1993 6.5L TD K2500, EC/LB, 4x4, Auto, 252,000 miles
4" DE, trans cooler & 8AN lines, 10AN oil cooler lines, nylon fuel lines, AD244, LB7 fan, Medallion marine injectors, OPS relay, glow plug override, OPS override

Last edited by MyShibby65TD; 12-31-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
2500heavydutylb
Diesel Student

I will poke around and see what I find. I am still mostly wanting to know what else I should check. There was a ****ty mechanic under the hood of my truck and Im very sure things were skipped seeing the kind of work that was done.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Document ID# 1459662
2005 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

DTC P0670
Circuit Description
The glow plug controller has the ability to perform internal diagnostics for voltage and output state of the glow plugs. If the glow plug controller senses an open in the main battery supply to the glow plug controller, or a condition with any of the glow plug driver circuits, the glow plug controller will send an error message to the engine control module (ECM).

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0670 Glow Plug Module Control Circuit

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTC U0073 or U0106 is not set.
The ignition is ON.
DTC P0670 runs continuously.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The glow plug controller detects an open to the main battery supply for the glow plugs, or an open in all 8 glow plug circuits for less than 1 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Step

Action
Values
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?

Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information

Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records for this DTC.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

Go to Step 3
Go to Intermittent Conditions

Is DTC P0671-P0678 set?

Go to Step 4
Go to Step 5

Important
The DMM and test leads must be calibrated to 0 ohms in order to prevent misdiagnosis. Perform this test with the DMM. Refer to the DMM User Manual for calibration procedure.

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the glow plug controller harness connector.
Measure the resistance from the ground circuit at the glow plug controller harness connector and a good ground on the engine with a DMM.
Does the DMM display a resistance below the specified value?
1 ohms
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 7

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the main battery circuit from the glow plug controller.
Probe the main battery circuit with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground. Refer to Probing Electrical Connectors in Wiring Systems.
Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 6
Go to Step 8

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the harness connector of the glow plug controller. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 10

Repair the ground circuit of the glow plug harness between the glow plug controller and the engine ground for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 9

Repair the open or the short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit between the glow plug controller and the battery.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 11

Replace the glow plugs. Refer to Glow Plug Replacement - Bank 1 and Glow Plug Replacement - Bank 2 .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 11

Replace the glow plug controller. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup, and programming.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 11

Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

Go to Step 2
Go to Step 12

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information
System OK

Document ID# 1459662
2005 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

GM Part :97379635, CONTROLLER, Voltage and Glow Plug, CONTROLLER,GLOW PLUG $104.04

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-02-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in