Well, it's my turn for head gaskets - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
engineer837
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Well, it's my turn for head gaskets

Original owner, 250k on the clock and I guess it's my turn. Truck was run hot 1 time (250 deg very early on in it's life) other than that it has never been over 230. Only abuse it has received is the 80hp tune it has had since it was new. Looks like the head bolts on the pass side have stretched. It is now leaking coolant from between the head and block near the rear of the head.
On thanksgiving while towing it started leaking coolant from some fittings that were loose. over the course of the last few months I have been chasing small leaks related to loose connections and once I finally got them all tightened up it began blowing coolant out the overflow while running. Oddly enough my truck never experience the hard upper hose when cold, It just built pressure when warm.
The shop doing the work is in the process of tear down right now. If everything else checks out the list we are going with so far is this;

1. Heads sent out to be shaved
2. Upgraded studs and gaskets (I let the shop pick the studs and gaskets they came highly recommended and they have the warranty on the work)
3. Replacing heat shields in the turbo, clean it out and replace wheel with a wicked wheel (wicked wheel recommended by shop).
4. Cleaning out the intake
5. Replacing driver side manifold with the LML one
6. Replacing water pump (the one in it has 150k on it)
?. Considering replacing the original FPR (looking for opinions on that, not sure how long they usually last but the truck will be apart making the job much easier)

Keep in mind I have no intention of ever building more power. The way it sits it will tow my 12k 30' trailer faster than I need to go and I don't race it. All upgrades are simply for longevity. If anyone can think of anything else they would check or replace while the engine is apart feel free to chime in.

Anyhow, she has been a good truck. I had the transmission built by Inglewood at the 200k mark (again the result of a +80hp tune for the entirety of its life). According to him with the relatively mild tune I have, this new trans build will outlast the stocker. Hopefully this is the last major repair for at lease another 10 years.

Mods: Secondary Cooling System with fan and shroud, Larger custom main radiator equipped with heat exchangers for oil and tranny fluids, Larger transmission cooler, O.E.M. air dam on lower valance, custom larger lower panel, KD custom ECM, EGR blocker, Sun Coast ram air hood, Air Raid intake, AFE turbo MP and downpipe back exhaust, 75Gallon aux tank, Air bags, 6" pro comp lift relaxed to 4", 33x12.5x18" toyo tires, Fully built Transmission by Inglewood Transmissions, Merchant Automotive pump rub plate.

My blinker is not a request, it's a warning.

Last edited by engineer837; 03-03-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
hihosilver
Diesel Boss

who did you get the radiator from and did it improve over the stock, I'm like you small tune also had mike biuld trans after limping it a few times, 169,000 no heating issues but it is original rad.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
engineer837
Diesel Boss

Ron Davis built it, I designed it. I can't really say the radiator did much for coolant temps because my truck has not gotten hot since I designed and installed the auxiliary radiator in it. I will say it keeps my oil temps locked within 30 deg of water temps.
Mods: Secondary Cooling System with fan and shroud, Larger custom main radiator equipped with heat exchangers for oil and tranny fluids, Larger transmission cooler, O.E.M. air dam on lower valance, custom larger lower panel, KD custom ECM, EGR blocker, Sun Coast ram air hood, Air Raid intake, AFE turbo MP and downpipe back exhaust, 75Gallon aux tank, Air bags, 6" pro comp lift relaxed to 4", 33x12.5x18" toyo tires, Fully built Transmission by Inglewood Transmissions, Merchant Automotive pump rub plate.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
hihosilver
Diesel Boss

don't need it right away but it's 12 years old and know it will fail, do they sell them if ordered
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
engineer837
Diesel Boss

Pm sent

Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

With 250k on the clock, I would probably spring for a new set of injectors since the labor part would be free. While the heads are at the machine shop, have them check the valve guides for wear.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
engineer837
Diesel Boss

The shop is doing a complete inspection including valves. He seems pretty confident that he will be able to tell if the injectors are good or not. I asked about replacing them all and he said that if it was a lb7 he would recommend it however the lly is not to hard to change them after the fact so if they are balancing out and not pitted he sees no reason to waste the money.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Champ

do glow plugs while the heads are out. at least have them removed and anti-seized so you can do them in the truck later on if need be. If they break now, no big deal. They are going to the machine shop.
And i wouldn't worry about injectors. You take care of your truck. If the balance rates are ok, let 'em ride.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2
**Totaled**
'liLLY' 05 duramax 2500 CCSB 4X4- 334,995
Limitless Diesel Built trans with Suncoast 1054 converter, Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Duramax Tuner race valve (plug), Magnaflow 3" downpipe, 5" flow pro, 265 transforce, Bilstein 4600, pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars), Pacbrake airbags, 110 gallon aux fuel tank, Merchant 'all on' module, transfer case rebuilt (merchant delux bearing kit, pump rub kit and case half), home made winter front, duraflap front and rear, new rockers with bed liner
Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
engineer837
Diesel Boss

Ok so I got tje truck back a couple weeks ago but I finally have a second to give an update so here is the damage;

Head bolts were stretched and coolant was visibly leaking on the pass side head near the rear. Due to this the heads had to be milled and grade c gaskets were used. We went with upgraded studs as well. The heads got completely reconditioned including valve seats etc.
The intake manifold got cleaned and serviced.
The fuel pump was on its way out so we replaced that too.
Injectors were balancing out ok but had pretty bad pitting on them, I opted to replace them and save myself the 1500.00 labor down the road in the near future.
Replaced the water pump, the one in there was not leaking but had over 150k on it so it was only a matter of time.
The turbo was surprisingly in excellent shape. We replaced the heat shields and put a wicked wheel in it. I was told it would not build more boost, it would simply build it faster and more efficiently. From what I have seen driving it, it build boost ao quickly it will spike to 30 psi compared to the 26ish I used to get before. The shop told me it was louder too but I cant tell tue difference sound wise.
I had them swap out the driver side exhaust manifold for the lml manifold.

All in total the job cost a little over 11k. A hard pill to swallow until I looked at the cost of replacing the truck. I was also told that with the work done, if I continue to take care of it the way I had I should have no problem getting another 500k out of it.

The cost breakdown was something like this;

Head gaskets 6500.00
Injectors 3500.00
Cp3 900
Misc parts and labor for smaller stuff 600.00

Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Champ

How did u know your pump was one its way out?

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2
**Totaled**
'liLLY' 05 duramax 2500 CCSB 4X4- 334,995
Limitless Diesel Built trans with Suncoast 1054 converter, Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Duramax Tuner race valve (plug), Magnaflow 3" downpipe, 5" flow pro, 265 transforce, Bilstein 4600, pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars), Pacbrake airbags, 110 gallon aux fuel tank, Merchant 'all on' module, transfer case rebuilt (merchant delux bearing kit, pump rub kit and case half), home made winter front, duraflap front and rear, new rockers with bed liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in