Turbo rebuild or replace sensor - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 PM  
Dfenze
Diesel Newbie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Turbo rebuild or replace sensor

I frequently loose all boost when driving, especially up hills, but also when normal cruising around. My EGTs are where I would expect them, but there is no boost. when the turbo finally kicks in, I throw a massive black cloud out the pipe, then it takes off. When it starts, I can push the pedal all i want and nothing changes. Often I have to nurse it up until it goes.

I do get the turbo underboost, egr insufficient flow, egr closed and barometric sensor codes often. I also have a ton of soot all over the engine bay and boots.

I am looking into replacing the MAP sensor and boost sensor(same thing?) along with the TVPS solenoid and all the turbo boots. I do not want to rebuild the turbo if I do not have too, plus it will save me $100 for the kit. I also have an EGR block kit with finger stick that I want to re-install.

Am I on the right path or should I consider something else?

2004.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY VIN #2
BFG KO2 315x16 A/T
ARB front bumper with WARN 12k winch
Rancho 4" lift
K&N intake with S&B turbo mouth
Bullydog Outlook and triple dog programmer
MBRP 4" Cat back exh
PCV re-route installed
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 PM  
frysl
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Dfenze,
Have you tried removing the Bully dog just to make sure its not the culprit?
Also how long have you had the K&N filter on? Ive done a ton of reading on the P2563 code and a LOT of people with those filters also have issues.
Steve

Old 02-16-2016, 10:44 AM  
Dfenze
Diesel Newbie

Steve...I have removed the bullydog a few times with the same results. I bought the programmer and the intake at the same time, so about 10yrs now. I perform the regular maintenance on the filter along with cleaning the MAF. I have noticed that after I clean the MAF that it will be a hit and miss on how long the codes will stay clear and when the issues come back. I don't think that the intake is causing all of it, but any recommendations on how to eliminate that, without buying a new intake?
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 08:05 AM  
dave-lly
Diesel Starter

Check the sensor wire. Mine was shorting out.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:18 AM  
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfenze View Post
I do get the turbo underboost, egr insufficient flow, egr closed and barometric sensor codes often. I also have a ton of soot all over the engine bay and boots.

I am looking into replacing the MAP sensor and boost sensor(same thing?
You gave a discription of your codes, it is best to post your codes so we know what we are dealing with for everyone's discription is different.
MAP sensor is where you get your boost reading from.
If you have soot all over you have leaks, just button up all your connections. I would replace boots not in less you have a crack in one.
GM Part 19207559 SENSOR,BARO PRESS
GM Part 12623671 SENSOR,TURBO PRESS(MAP)
GM Part 97209545 SENSOR,MASS AIRFLOW

If it comes down to your turbo read post 9
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-p...-what-buy.html
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 02-17-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 PM  
dieselpusher
Diesel Starter

My 2005 does the exact same thing. Predator "tow" program on for the last 10 years. AFE turbo pipe. 4.5" exhaust system (cat back). Otherwise stock. No weird noises from turbo. I'm not really familiar with the systems on these trucks, (I'm not a mechanic...) but can probably replace or clean parts as necessary.
Guessing something like a turbo vane position sensor, etc?

AFE Turbo Elbow
MBRP 4" exhaust
Predator tow tune
ARP head bolts...
Old 02-20-2016, 08:29 PM  
Dfenze
Diesel Newbie

Current codes: P0046, P0101, P0299, P0401, P0404, P1404, P1621, P2227.

These are what shows up when I start having the loss of power problems. I have check the wires, so far so good. I currently have a new boost and MAP sensor, along with new turbo boots ready to install. P0101 will normally go away after I clean the MAF.

As for the EGR codes....I was going to remove and clean the EGR, then reinstall the block and finger stick. Good idea? Truck is a FE09 model, but resides in CA but has VA tags, so no CA emissions required yet. Would like to do something similar to the PCV reroute due to evidence of oil residue all around the area.

For P0046, I have read that it is either my VPS or sticking vanes. I do not have a scanner that can read live vane position. Is there a way to narrow down which one it is, with limited equipment? I do know that for the past week everything has worked great, even got almost 29psi boost at one point, and I could feel it. I plan on removing and cleaning the solenoid shortly, to see if that helps. Suggestions?

P1621...I do not know how to correct. I have removed the tuner completely and still get the code off and on. Basically there is no difference weather the tuner is installed or not. Would a software update from the dealer be helpful?
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY VIN #2
BFG KO2 315x16 A/T
ARB front bumper with WARN 12k winch
Rancho 4" lift
K&N intake with S&B turbo mouth
Bullydog Outlook and triple dog programmer
MBRP 4" Cat back exh
PCV re-route installed
Old 02-21-2016, 09:17 AM  
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfenze View Post
P1621...I do not know how to correct. I have removed the tuner completely and still get the code off and on. Basically there is no difference weather the tuner is installed or not. Would a software update from the dealer be helpful?
Bullydog and PPE tuners throw this code.. its essentially you had the key on too long with out starting the motor.. nothing to worry about.
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 02-21-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in