California Cat on LLY - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
d_silva2000
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

California Cat on LLY

So I recently found out I got screwed by a dealership. I bought my truck in January of 2014 and I am now due for a smog check, the first one since I have owned the truck. I took my truck in to get the smog done and the smog tech called me back and asked me why I would even bring the truck in. There is no catalytic converter and an edge programmer on it. Both of which are illegal here in the great state of Cali I informed him that I bought the truck that way and the dealership had a passing smog cert when I bought it. Long story short, the dealership "bought" a passing inspection in order to sell it in my opinion. But I can't prove that. I called a GM dealer to see what a new cat cost and they quoted me over $1250.00 OUCH I found a used one on craigslist, but it is off of a 2006 duramax. So my question is will the 2006 stock cat (california approved) work for my 2005. At least long enough to get an inspection done.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
DRCook
Diesel Nut

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

probably should work as far as being a catalytic converter. could be different in the manner in which it connects to the remainder of the exhaust system. that you would need to look at.

not knowing the edge, but are they serial nbr'ed or otherwise identifiable as to the original purchaser ? if there was some way you could establish of chain of ownership that went through the dealership, you might have some recourse.

of course you could/should talk to a lawyer as there were laws that were bent a bit in selling it to you.

2004.5 Sport Red Metallic Crewcab Shortbox 4x4 LLY ARE Truckcap/Bedrug liner Bilsteins Hellwigs front and back, LBZ mouthpiece + entire 06 intake, nbr 2 and 7 wiring harness. Racor auxiliary fuel filter, Engineer837 auxilliary radiator, Earl's tranny cooler, fender vents, Banks intercooler & Speedbrake, Merchant Automotive transfer case pump rub fix

Last edited by DRCook; 10-02-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
d_silva2000
Gear Grinder

Thanks for the reply. That is a good idea about the serial number. I will try to track that down. I have contacted the BAR and they are investigating both the smog shop that passed it as well the dealership. I just don't know how far I will get being it is almost 2 years after buying the truck. But i am definitely going to try to get them for it.
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

Look into aftermarket Cats from Summit Racing or Jegs. Check to see if they're CARB approved for use in your wonderful state of Cali. They're going to be much cheaper then that ridiculous price the dealer quoted you.
'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Billet Edition Toyhauler (Sold 1/10/17)
2007 Attitude MKS33 5th Wheel Toyhauler
'19 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XRS Turbo R
'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Raptor 660 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

The LLY uses a bolted flange at the front pipe, the LBZ uses a band clamp. If it is a Federal Emissions truck (bought in another state and brought to California) you may be able to use an aftermarket Magnaflow the only problem is Magnaflow will not ship to a California address. If the truck was originally sold new in California you have to go back with an OEM..

FE9 is Federal Emissions
NE1 is Northeast Emissions this covers NY, VT, MA, or ME
YF5 is California Emissions
VCL is a CFF (Clean Fuel Fleet) designation required to qualify for certain tax incentives

SELECTING THE RIGHT CONVERTER
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
d_silva2000
Gear Grinder

Well I haven't had any luck finding an aftermarket cat that is carb compliant. However I did find a used complete exhaust that is straight pipe and also the cat from a 2006 duramax. I'm thinking of buying both of those and just getting a buddy to weld the cat into that used exhaust. That way I don't have to cut and weld on my current exhaust. The one question I have is, the used exhaust that i'm looking to get does not have a muffler. Does anyone know if a muffler is required to pass a California smog?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

A muffler doesn't do much for smog/emissions. They just reduce the overall sound level of the exhaust system. It sounds like you want to be compliant, without really upgrading the exhaust. Why don't you just have your buddy weld in the '06 cat into your current system?
'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Old 10-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
big-burb
Diesel Apprentice

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Armed Forces Club Member

CA law states It has to be OEM and cant be aftermarket. its a sight inspection. annually or if you live further out in the sticks every two years. if you get pulled over by joe shmoe copper he probably wont notice the difference between the two. a mechanic will though. I have even known people to gut the cat on the topside and just leave the shell. CA cant do an emissions test due to the particulates that come out. they clog the sensor. I have done some research with this as you can tell. ultimately I got mine registered out of state
Old 10-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

Here is what I have to go through every year..

Shut down the truck in the building tail end partially outside

Open the hood and do a visual on the engine along with a mirror check of the cat

Start the truck and the inspector looks on the dash for a CEL

Governor test, throttle to floor once hold then release, shut down truck

Opacity test, hook up sniffer tube to exhaust, watch the inspector for directions

Throttle up to governor 3 times as directed

Shut down truck, pay money, pass or fail papers......

Fail=no registration tags for the year

Here is a picture of the "sniffer"
=
=

=
=

My 1982 C20 gets the rollers and sniffer..

=
=

=
=
Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-burb View Post
CA law states It has to be OEM and cant be aftermarket. its a sight inspection. annually or if you live further out in the sticks every two years. if you get pulled over by joe shmoe copper he probably wont notice the difference between the two. a mechanic will though. I have even known people to gut the cat on the topside and just leave the shell. CA cant do an emissions test due to the particulates that come out. they clog the sensor. I have done some research with this as you can tell. ultimately I got mine registered out of state
I should have known that it had to be OEM in Cali. At one time, my exhaust was straight piped. I was due for inspection, so I had a Magnaflow diesel cat welded into the exhaust. Right after that, I drove around the corner to a diesel smog testing place, and would ya know the inspector guy didn't even check for a cat? I was pissed. I guess I'm just glad I don't live in California.

'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in