LB7 Frontpipe on LLY, installed- Pictures - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LB7 Frontpipe on LLY, installed- Pictures

For those of you newbies/veterans wondering if it will fit or what it looks like or whatever, here you go. I ordered this frontpipe from Mark Craig at DPPI (http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com) and the part number is GMS9401 and is an MBRP product. It arrived 2 days after I ordered it. As you can see from the pics the flanges do in fact line up just fine and just retain the gasket that came on the stock pipe as well as retain the band clamp at the turbo down pipe side.

The ONLY thing you will need to do to remove the stock pipe is remove the 2 bolts holding the hanger and bracket onto the side of the tranny. There is one clamp on the turbo side with one nut, you will reuse this. There are 4 bolts on the rear. Once that is removed you can slide the entire stock cat pipe out the front with no problem at all. This works for 2wd adn 4wd. You don't need to remove crossmembers on either.

In gear at idle with the stock pipe my EGT's were 400+..since the EGR is active only at idle and highway speeds I sat in the truck with it in gear for 15 minutes. The temp never got above 342, so that is an immediate 50+ degree drop just at idle.

[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/frontpipe.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/frontpipe1.jpg[/img]

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
_nar_
Diesel Veteran

Send a message via AIM to _nar_

Nice. Good to know it did lower EGTs.

Member #1 of A(ACLU)

Quote:
In my eyes, you're blinded, you'll never be anything at all
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
cdlinstr
Diesel Fanatic

Will This Change Work On A Ca/ Ne Emissions 2005 Lly Without Throwing Codes Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
D/A Power
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I'll be there soon!

Thanks briano! I am going to be out of town this week, so I will probably be doing this next week. Thanks for all the info and your help last week! I too am seeing EGT's at about 400 at idle in gear, I can get down to 325 or so in park/neutral, but my worry was this summer when I start pulling my 5er. Do you know how much they have reduced temps during 'normal' driving? Have you seen -200 deg like I've read in other posts?

SOLD April 2019
2005 GMC 2500HD SLT C/C S/B 4X4 D/A Carbon Met.
Trippin' O/H Gage Mount, MBRP all the way w/o Cat, High Idle, LBZ MP w/S&B Intake - 182k miles
Old 02-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
skoryaro2
Diesel Pro

Good job Brian. Do you have the drone noise that we have been talking about on this thread HERE ? If so, did changing the pipe change the noise at all?

Also, how long did it take you to do the conversion? Did you have any trouble getting to the flange bolts / band clamp up by the turbo side?

Previous Truck: 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC SLE 4x4 D/A (LLY) Carbon Metallic EGR Blocker Plate / Finger Stick / Predator Tuned
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

Throwing codes...from what I have learned and been told, as long as there is some sort of back pressure the EGR should be ok. I will find out for sure though and let you know. I retained the stock muffler so that should be enough.

I will also find out today about normal temps driving around. I have been monitoring them for a while so with this pipe installed I'll be able to tell if there is in fact a drop.

Time it took... the entire process including washing hands twice, getting camera, removing cat pipe, installing LB7 pipe...less than an hour. No problems removing any flange bolts or band clamp at all. Its a very easy install. Reinstalling the band clamp on the turbo side can be difficult if the rear of the pipe is not supported. either on the hanger or losely put a couple bolts on the rear flange.

Drone... I am not sure if I ever heard this drone noise before. I hear the normal workings of the motor and exhaust, but never really considered it to be droning at all. maybe I am one of the lucky ones.

I have to travel to San Antonio today to get my car so I will be doing highway and then some towing so I'll let you all know what temps I see and I also am bringing my OBDII scanner along with me and check for stored codes whenever I park.

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.

Last edited by briano; 02-20-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
wgroat2

Very nice write-up on the front pipe installation, I just installed one yesterday and the installation went equally as well. I purchased my pipe from performancetruckproducts.com, who I believe is a site sponsor. I like to say that the quality of the pipe and fit were outstanding. If anybody is interested I own a 2004.5 and luckily havenít had any of the issues that I have read about on this form except the raw fuel smell at idle. The dealer re-flashed the computer with the latest updates, it did quiet it down at idle and smooth out the power delivery during normal driving. This is just seat of the pants tuning, but I was disappointed in the re-flash because I felt a flat spot whenever I accelerated moderately, when tipping the peddle slightly, the truck just wasnít as responsive and I still had the smell of raw fuel at idle. Iím posting this message to say that after installing the new front pipe I donít have that raw fuel smell and the truck really came alive. No more flat spot and the truck runs and accelerates cleanly. I didnít detect any difference in the noise level. The finger stick and EGR plate are next. This form has been very informative, Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vertical-escape
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Can you install the downpipe with an aftermarket exhaust and not install the fingers or EGR plate? Will this throw codes?
2007 LBZ Ext cab sb BFG KO 2's, Buckstop Bumpers front and rear, Ladder bars, Airdog 165, BD, EFI Live, PPE Boost controller, PPE Race Valve, Danville stage 2, EGR blocker, 5" exhaust no kitty, Diamond eye down pipe, Moded CP.

Just ordered my new 2016 3500 DRW Denali......Hope it's good one
Old 02-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

I have already swapped out my entire exhaust a few months ago and yes it did throw codes, its basically a straight through system, no restriction. I did not have fingers or egr plate.

I talk to Mark at DPPI and he said as long as there is some restriction it should be fine. I just kept the stock muffler. So far the sound has not changed and the temps actually don't seem as low as I had originally thought, but still are about 20 degrees cooler.

I'll know more after my trip today.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
NCMIC
Diesel Boss

Send a message via AIM to NCMIC Send a message via MSN to NCMIC

NC Dmax's Member

i did mine and the hardest part was taking out the old pipe. i do have the fingers stick and egr blocker plate as well. it is just for the added bonus of cleaner oil longer and clearing any possible codes if I go all the way with the exhaust.

I know if anyone wants to try this, i used a 7/16 ratcheting boxend wrench for the clamp. Mine is short so it worked real well in the tight spot.

Diablosport, CB Antenna Mount Bracket (Stock Look),Tinted Windows, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs, Visualogic Backup Camera, Finger Stick and Blocker Plate, 4" MBRP exhaust, More Mods to come

04.5 2500HD LS 4X4 LLY Ext Cab LB Dark Gray Metallic 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVOS
Under seat storage / XM Satellite Radio / K&N Air Filter in Stock Box / ISSPRO Pillar Guages
ARE Impulse Topper with windoors w/ sliders and tilt down front window
Predator Diablosport/Fingers Stick and EGR Blocked, Plate/Straight-piped, Billsteins/Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs

Member # 17 of NC DMax's Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in