International Navistar T-Stat in Olds 5.7 ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > All Other GM Diesels
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

All Other GM Diesels Discuss any other GM Diesel engines... 5.7l Olds, Chevette Diesel, or anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
upsmoker
"ol` smokie"

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

International Navistar T-Stat in Olds 5.7 ?

Is anyone running a Navistar thermostat in there 5.7 diesel? Are you trimming (removing) the rubber? I`d like to hear the pros/cons from you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I'm just running stock stats in mine. The one in my 80 didn't like to make any heat. After multiple stat changes I just ended up removing the fan in the winter. My 81 I have not had to mess with it seems fine summer and winter.

The bypass is pretty big on these so I would not think the rubber would make a difference either way.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
pikapp
Heat Sink

I have a list of upgrade parts from the old gm-diesel.com thread and a factory thermostat from a mid 80's Ford 6.9 diesel was one of them (recommended by dieselolds) due to the opening being so much larger. He stated they were around $35 from a Ford dealer. I have not run one myself yet but, my D3Bs will be out of the shop next week and I will be at a Ford dealership before they have hit the first cylinder. No info on the rubber was attached to the old post (2007), maybe he will wander by and inform us if he left it as-was or trimmed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in