New to this forum but an ld hand at gm 5.7 l diesels - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > All Other GM Diesels
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

All Other GM Diesels Discuss any other GM Diesel engines... 5.7l Olds, Chevette Diesel, or anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harold1
Gear Grinder

Location: Central Florida except in summer where I'm in central Maine
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New to this forum but an ld hand at gm 5.7 l diesels

Hi all.

For starters I have a 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. It came from the factory with a HT4100 in it but I got hold of a 1983 Olds Delta 88 diesel and installed it. Car runs fine and believe it or not, I think the diesel has more power than the HT4100.

Question: Does anyone know why the previous owner/garage advanced the timing around 3-5 degrees? The car runs fine, starts beautifully but only gets me 27 mpg on the highway. ( I was getting32.5 mpg with a 1985 Olds Delta 88 diesel).

Thanks for your help.

Harold

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

to the DP!!

You did the right thing by posting here in the Intro section, but to help get you an answer to your question, I moved your thread to the All Other GM Diesels forum.

2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger

Last edited by callie454; 07-27-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Hard to say why they advanced it. Maybe a different pump than original. Compensate for timing chain wear. You could try regarding it a bit and see what happens. Props for installing that 5.7 in the caddy. Probably a tad heavier than the delta could be the mileage difference. Are you still running the sideways stanadyne box filter? If so I would reccomend an upgrade to a spin on filter water separator. That factory filter outlet line sits lower than the inlet letting water pass not to mention its undersized for a V8 engine imo. Keeping water from passing through the ip will prevent premature wear and using an additive when fueling is always a good idea. Good luck.
91 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.2 Bad Transmission
85 Cadillac Deville factory 4.3 Oldsmobile Diesel
91 GMC Sierra K1500 6.2 NA Plow truck with 7.5ft Leo Plow
94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD DE exhaust Custom Parker Racor Fuel Filter assembly
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacalips View Post
Even the guys who own them aren't 5.7 guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Did you keep the 4100 trans or swap in the one that came with the diesel? I'm guessing they were both 200 4r's?

27 is pretty darn good for a land yacht. I don't come close to that with my E bodies but I likely don't drive in the same places or way that you do.

How do you know its advanced 3-5?
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.

Last edited by 57diesel; 08-03-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harold1
Gear Grinder

Location: Central Florida except in summer where I'm in central Maine

Thanks for your responses. Before I changed the engine out, I pulled the timing cover off and replaced the timing chain with a brand new one I had purchased for my rebuild project. The original timing chain had less play than the brand new one so I'm guessing that my "junkyard" engine has very few miles on it.

I still have the original "gas" transmission in the car but when I get back home (I drive 1500 miles for the summer and again in the fall) I'm planning to find another transmission and diesel torque converter as this transmission is starting to do "strange things" (tcc locking up when it shouldn't and not when it should). I did replace the torque converter clutch solenoid when I replaced the filter and fluid about 1700-2000 miles ago.

The Olds Delta 88 factory diesel that I had was getting me 32.5 mpg on the highway and I'm not going to be happy until this one does (or better). I have talked to drivers who said their diesel got up to 40 mpg so thats my goal.

The reason I say that the timing was changed is that the factory timing mark on the injector pump and the one on the engine do not line up any more. I would suspect that if a dealership had changed the timing, there would be new timing marks on the pump and engine.

After running into problems with a new fuel filter on my '85 olds diesel that I bought from a gm dealer (it was too short for the water probe) I went to my favorite big truck parts store (I use to own and operate a '87 Peterbilt) and got a filter head and ff-105 fuel filter used on Cummins engines. When I put this diesel in I got the same configuration for the Caddy. The fuel filter does have a water drain on the bottom.

As soon as I get some free time (I'm on vacation) I'm going to change the timing back to the factory marks. I do have a Snap-On timing meter for it, but I didn't bring it with me.

Again, thanks for your questions. I'll explain all that I can. And I'll let the forum know what happens when I change the timing.

By the way, I recently discovered a 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood factory diesel on a Dealer's Only website. Car is located in New Jersey. 104K miles. Website: //www.roverclassic.com I have absolutely nothing to do with this car or website, but present its existance for those looking for this kind of car. It's too expensive for my wallet.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I have not spent much time with one with a lockup but can imagine its a pretty finicky system. Thats an area where a computer is really needed and since the gas cars had computers by the time lockups were popular I bet not a lot of development went into the few apps that didn't have computers like the diesels.

Another thought is I believe the 4100 200 4r cars had a 3.42 final drive, the diesels got 2.93. Back when they had engines that made some torque and no OD they used a lot of 2.41 and 2.28's. You got to be careful not to get too low. I have read a few times that some guys have actually got better MPG out of the non OD transmissions than the OD's. One guy I think said he was tired of fighting the 200 4r so swapped in a 3 speed (don't remember if it was a 200 or 350) and actually got an improvement so in his case there were no other changes like final drive. If you got the 3.42 maybe you could find a slightly bigger tire for a test to see if that helps.

I could see the low 30's under ideal conditions but 40 I just don't see being possible especially for a full size car. Even the smaller cars that got these motors didn't seem to do that much better. These are big non aerodynamic cars that for the most part are using ancient technology. The official EPA highway ratings were around 26 for the full size, 28 for the mid size, and 31 for the transverse FWD stuff. I think the Chevette was the only thing that had a significantly higher rating at 41.
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in