1982 Chevy Caprice diesel for sale to me..and you? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > All Other GM Diesels
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

All Other GM Diesels Discuss any other GM Diesel engines... 5.7l Olds, Chevette Diesel, or anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
GM Guy
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

1982 Chevy Caprice diesel for sale to me..and you?

hey all,

I got a buddy that has for sale a 1982 (made 2 of 82 in Canada, surely not an 83? he couldnt remember if it was an 82 or 83) Chevy Caprice 2 door car with the 5.7L Olds diesel. homemade side exit exhaust (of which he comments it sounds "mean" ) aftermarket rims, some crappy tint, but otherwise stock.

he had the car for a while, didnt want it for winter, sold it, the guy who bought it, his kid apparently blew the headgaskets and possibly messed up the IP due to gelling it up. so my buddy bought it back with intentions of fixing it.

he has some of the intake off, valvecovers, etc. and came to the conclusion that one has to drop the oilpan to pull the oil pump driveshaft to pull the oil pump drive to pull the lower intake, and he didnt want that much work, so he is giving up.

first off, I doubt GM would make something that complex, that is ford chit right there! so I ask, was he mislead by his buddy/ didnt figure out a key part of the disassembly? If so, how does a guy get the vac pump/oil pump drive off to get the lower intake off?

second, I am stocked up on projects and vehicles, i would love this one, but still need to get my project burb on the road, so I ask, would anyone be interested in a chevy caprice diesel project? the car seems to be rust free, good fairly straight body (he didnt fasten a transmission down too well in the trunk, there is a few small outward dings from it plotting its escape) the vinyl top is in excellent shape, interior is fair. no mice from what I can tell, a few stains, but IMO if the stains are dealt with and the headliner is dealt with, it would be quite respectable.

he is asking 750 bucks.

should I go for it? should YOU folks go for it?

I am headed into western Iowa at some point chasing a corn header, or eastern KS after a wheat header, and can throw it on for fuel $ to get it that far. as long as I would be empty anyways, the trucking is cheap. if you pay enough, dad could put it on back of the semi and get it to Twin Falls, ID region, and anywhere along the way.

any input appreciated, thanks!

95 Chev C3500HD 6.5L NV4500 5.13 132K 159.5" WB
95 Chev C3500HD 6.5L NV4500 5.13 170K 135.5" WB
93 Chev K2500HD 6.5L NV4500 4.10 252K

Fixer uppers: 94 burb, 94 C1500 ECSB, 94 C2500HD ECLB 5spd, all 6.5Ls in need of engines.

Proud Member: #123 of the Brotherhood of Handshakers; #703 of the 3500 Dually Club
See other forum for complete signature
[/INDENT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
GM Guy
Diesel Boss

anyone have any input on the oil pump drive? that is the main concern.

you all seem scared that I am try to sell you an olds diesel! thats right, 100+ people that viewed this post, i am talking to you!

95 Chev C3500HD 6.5L NV4500 5.13 132K 159.5" WB
95 Chev C3500HD 6.5L NV4500 5.13 170K 135.5" WB
93 Chev K2500HD 6.5L NV4500 4.10 252K

Fixer uppers: 94 burb, 94 C1500 ECSB, 94 C2500HD ECLB 5spd, all 6.5Ls in need of engines.

Proud Member: #123 of the Brotherhood of Handshakers; #703 of the 3500 Dually Club
See other forum for complete signature
[/INDENT]
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
floyd400
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Hell, I'd love to have it as a project but alas, money will not permit

Pics will help others who are seriously interested I'm sure. One day I'll have a fleet of old GM diesel cars, but That's just me and I'm
It would get a 5 speed as well if it were mine
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Caprice
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If I were you, I would buy it for $ 750. I love those old caprices. THey ride a lot better than the new cars. You say it is a Caprice 2 door coupe. Those are the rarest of the caprice model lineup in 1982 with around 12,000 produced out of 124,000 caprices made in 1982. I would love to have this caprice but I had my John Deere 4230 break down and the repairs were expensive.

I have a 1981 Chevrolet Caprice Landau Coupe with the 5.7 Olds diesel. This was the rarest model in the 1981 model year. They only produced 6,600 Landau Coupes in 1981 out of 124,000 produced in that year also. So far, I have managed to track down 4 Landau coupe caprices with the Oldsmobile diesel engine option. My diesel caprice is highly optioned. It even has the GM Delco CB radio as a option.

With the proper upgrades to the engine, these Oldsmobile diesel will run for a very long time. Plus the fuel economy is not to bad either. I get 24 in city and 31 on the highway.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
GM Guy
Diesel Boss

here are some pics:

Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
GM Guy
Diesel Boss

I am so tempted, but I swear the other rigs will jump off the jackstands and kill me out of frustration. I am good about aquiring more stuff, but bad about fixing them or finishing projects.

I think I forgot to mention it comes with new gaskets, he just quit mid project when he became under the impression the oil pan needs dropped to pull the oil pump drive to pull the drive/ vac pump to pull the intake.

Is he correct in his assumption? can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Caprice
Low Boost

I am pretty sure the oil pan does need to be drop in order to get to the oil pump drive. In order to get the oil pan off, the crossover pipe for the exhaust needs to be taken off, so does the starter. This isn't the big problem. In order to get the oil pan off. The engine mounts need to be loosened and the engine needs to be jack up in order to to get the pan off. I have a slight leak on my oil pan gasket, but I don't want to jack up the front of the engine to get to it. I guess I'm just lazy. If the car comes with new head gaskets then thats a good deal for $750

Last edited by Diesel Caprice; 05-01-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
robotic_junky
Heat Sink

If you are just wanting to take the intake manifold off, then there should be one bolt that holds down the vacuum pump, just like a distributor. Then pull the vacuum pump out.

If he is want to put in a harden steel oil pump shaft and a new oil pump in, he'll have to take the vacuum pump out and then drop the pan to get to the oil pump and the shaft.
2005 Chevy Corvette LS2 104k
Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Not sure what all the talk is about the oil pump. The oil pump was same as Olds gas engines, driven off the distributor. In the diesel its the vacuum pump like the early 6.2's. The distributor / vac pump sits on the back of the block, not the intake so it does not have to be disturbed at all to remove the intake or heads.

I don't have access to a great photo but you can see the top of the pump drive which is a round thing just to the right of the fuel filter which is the shiny rectangle box right center of the photo. The intake ends under the fuel filter.

The 'upper intake' is just that cross over thing that holds the air cleaner and egr. Its just held on with 4 bolts and the EGR tube if its a 80 or older motor. The main intake is more like the typical gas one where it is also the valley cover. To remove it you have to remove the IP.

The IP is held on with 3 nuts similar to the 6.2/6.5 except the flange is smaller and round and there is no room to swing anything close to a normal wrench. Its 3 9/16" nuts. Having an assortment of wrenchs helps and a little work with the grinder on a few of them helps. Once you have the lines off and those 3 nuts off the pump just slides out. The 3 studs are part of the mounting hub that stays in the engine so far. The drive is a offset slotted sort of thing that just comes apart and only fits one way so you don't have to worry about it other than it does help to note the relative position to make re installation easier. You never have to disturb the actual IP drive gear or shaft to remove the intake and heads, its part of the block and held in with a retainer ring. Its driven from behind and below the cam sprocket which is a lot different than the 6.2/6.5's.

Next you need to remove the valley drain tube, its held in with a clip and one bolt down in the valley. These don't seem to come with the gasket kits any more so don't damage it. Next you remove the IP mounting hub thing which is just 3 allen head bolts. Intake will now come off and then you can do the heads.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.

Last edited by 57diesel; 05-04-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kevin54
Sparkplug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Caprice View Post
If I were you, I would buy it for $ 750. I love those old caprices. THey ride a lot better than the new cars. You say it is a Caprice 2 door coupe. Those are the rarest of the caprice model lineup in 1982 with around 12,000 produced out of 124,000 caprices made in 1982. I would love to have this caprice but I had my John Deere 4230 break down and the repairs were expensive.

I have a 1981 Chevrolet Caprice Landau Coupe with the 5.7 Olds diesel. This was the rarest model in the 1981 model year. They only produced 6,600 Landau Coupes in 1981 out of 124,000 produced in that year also. So far, I have managed to track down 4 Landau coupe caprices with the Oldsmobile diesel engine option. My diesel caprice is highly optioned. It even has the GM Delco CB radio as a option.

With the proper upgrades to the engine, these Oldsmobile diesel will run for a very long time. Plus the fuel economy is not to bad either. I get 24 in city and 31 on the highway.
I just signed up to this site to see if I can find out what is the problem with my '81 Caprice Diesel and ran across your reply. I just bought a super clean one owner from a lot for $3000. It is, or was a one owner. Older lady that could no longer drive, so her and her husband traded in two vehicles for one. The only thing it needed or did was the headlining which is the typical GM trash, so that is slated to be done in a few weeks. The car is a 5.7 diesel with 82,000 original miles, came with a car cover, and everything is absolutely spotless except for a leaking oily engine.

They yesterday I took it on a 300+ mile round trip and did NOT think the car would make it. No power at all and kept getting worse the more miles I drove. As soon as it would get a slight load on it, the car would downshift, then as soon as it did, would totally fall flat and strain. Let of the pedal, it would shift, then act like it was going to pick up speed. Downhill was a whopping 61mph, and uphill would slow to 35mph. It didn't seem to do this when I bought it, but it was on level ground also, so there was no strain on the engine.

It's interesting to hear that the Landau is fairly rare, but it's really aggravating that I know absolutely nothing about a diesel, nor have a clue as to what could be wrong.

I did just now find out from reading, where the fuel filter is. Thank you for that, 57Diesel.

If I go to check the filter to see if it is plugged, does fuel pour out? And do I need to do anything special in replacing the filter? The only other thing I can figure is the injector pump may be bad, or possibly have some bad injectors resulting in some dead cylinders

Any help would be greatly appreciated, before I get so frustrated, I rip the diesel out and drop in a 350 gas engine which I am way more familiar and comfortable with. TIA.

BTW, as I said, I'm a new member, 58 years old, first diesel in a vehicle other than my CUT for using around the yard, and from Ohio. Other than that, just plumb dumb on this car and everything about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in