Question: 84 olds diesel antifreeze spews out overflo at 130 degrees - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > All Other GM Diesels
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

All Other GM Diesels Discuss any other GM Diesel engines... 5.7l Olds, Chevette Diesel, or anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
marcia
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Icon9 84 olds diesel antifreeze spews out overflo at 130 degrees

Hi hope some one can help. 84 caprice wagon with 5.7 olds diesel. Recently replaced injection pump that had seemingly stopped working, with one I got off ebay. This one wouldn't start either so put old one back on. Car started up just fine and ran great. No smoke. Decided to test drive.

Got several miles when I noticed temp gauge was rising...220 so pulled over and found coolant filled the overflo and was spewing out the top.

This car has never done that in the 3 years we have had it. I have checked everything I can think of...flushed, used prestone super flush and refilled with fresh coolant, new 195 thermostat, no thermostat, new 16lb radiator cap, tried water only. Nothing made any difference. Temp gauge reaches about 130 and you see fluid rising in the overflo tank til it reaches top and spews out the top.

This is in our driveway and doesn't seem to be overheating as it did on the test drive, but the results are the same. Once it hits about 130 on the temp gauge coolant backs into overflo and it fills up and runs over.

On the test drive, I left it where I pulled over for a couple hours and when I got back to pick it up, coolant in Overflo tank had gone down and I was able to drive it quickly back home and coolant again was filling overflo tank without engine being hot.

I read in my cars service manual that the injection pump being retarded can also cause overheating, is that correct.

Any help with this wierd problem will be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

If the coolant system is being pressurized it'll cause your symptoms. Common reason for the coolant system becoming pressurized is a head gasket failure or a cracked block.

Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
marcia
Low Boost

Thanks for the quick reply. How would i determine if head gasket or block problem? There is no water in the oil or oil in the cooling system. Where would I start my search for problem? thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
05duramax90
Gear Grinder

Your head could be leaking between the coolant journals its either cracked there or the gasket is bad

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05duramax90 View Post
Your head could be leaking between the coolant journals its either cracked there or the gasket is bad

x2 the 5.7 diesels had lots of head gasket problems.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

I'd be leaning more toward a damaged water pump impeller, or a bum new t-stat. If it were a head gasket and not localized boiling from no circulation, it could be driven moderately with no radiator cap on, without losing/ pushing antifreeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 04-18-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
marcia
Low Boost

Thanks, New Thermostat to replace this new one going in today. Water pump velocity seems ok. When running with no thermostat during flushing, water in radiator was flowing across like gangbusters.

Yesterday while running in driveway waiting for thermostat to open, temp went to 220 with no noticable open of thermostat but also no push of coolant into overflo as air was being vented from the flush tee just slightly cracked open to vent.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
flyinelvis11
Glow Plug

Broken head bolt is my guess....

2004 GMC SLT LB7 ccsb
s&b intake, banks exhaust, II s366 silver bullet, profab proflow headers, EFI live by bobo, adII 165, II 45 overs, ATS duel fueler, suncoast gmax5 trans kit and ML converter
2004 Chevy LB7 ecsb arrival blue
banks intake, silverline dual exhaust, EFI live DSP5 by Idaho Rob, bd trans pan, air bag system

"I myself dabbled in pacifism, not in 'nam of course." -Walter Sobcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullit View Post
Buying a rental car is like marrying a prostitute................everybody has ridden it and the all rode the heck out of it.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Retarded timing wont cause it to get hot that fast. Its the same as timing on a gas engine. On a hot summer day it could be a problem but in the spring timing on its own should not cause that.

Having an Ebay injection pump not work is not a big surprise. I can't think of anything in changing a IP that would suddenly cause a head gasket or block issue.

Broken head bolts is not a common issue with the engines. Early engines had inferior quality bolts but by 84 the factory engines had that problem solved. At least solved as well as it could be with the number of bolts and available deck area.

It really sounds like a head gasket problem. Not sure what caused it but its most likely the problem you have now.
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Corts78
High Compression

Best thing to do is get a coolant pressure test tool and test the system for leak down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in