4.3, 5.7 diesel? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > All Other GM Diesels
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

All Other GM Diesels Discuss any other GM Diesel engines... 5.7l Olds, Chevette Diesel, or anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
dixiepc
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

4.3, 5.7 diesel?

I'm interested in learning more about the 4.3 and the 5.7 diesels. I know some about the 5.7 but I've never heard of the 4.3. What years were they used and what did they come in? Are they good fuel mileage motors and would they be good for a 1/2 ton pickup? I'll take any information that anyone has.

2.5" true duals with Flowmaster SUV 50's with a 2.5" H-pipe just in front of the mufflers bent over the driveshaft.
Averages 18+ mpg around town.

1997 K2500 Silverado 6.5 TD, 2000 GM enhanced block, Extend Cab, Short Box, with a NV4500. 4" Diamond Eye straight exhaust. Holset H1C turbo with 60mm compressor wheel and 14 cm exhaust housing. Converted to a 5149 DB2 set to 4911 specs by Tim at Accurate Diesel.
Averages 18+ mpg around town and 14+ mpg towing my crawler on the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sinecure1
Diesel Apprentice

There is a lot of information on these gas-conversion diesels on Wikipedia. General concensus was that they were junk. Link

- 2008 OEM 17" Wheels (RPO: N89)

Last edited by Sinecure1; 01-23-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
2010flhp
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

There is good information on these engines on this and other sites besides Wikipedia. The biggest problem with GM diesels was the uninformed motoring public and stupid owners. Many went on to buy and blow up the cheap Ciera and other early front-wheel drive cars after they grenaded their diesel Oldsmobiles. The 4.3 is very hard to find but they are out there. If you want to convert a pickup and must have a 5.7 use the later "improved" block.

It takes a careful owner to get good results with these complicated vehicles. If you are a "gas and go", 7500-mile oil change person you will blow it up fo sho. Get a gasser.

Use the right oil and filter and NEVER ether it, and you should be good to go. Good luck!
1996 Suburban 2500 2wd 6.5 TD (imported from Texas), Bumper mounted PMD, LubeSpec braided steel oil line kit, Rotator lightbar and hidden strobes (fire dept), Fluid Film undercoating, 202,050 miles, blah blah blah looks like any other white Suburban, parked for winter!
1983 4wd longbox, 6.2 NA, Automatic, 40k miles, fire dept vehicle
Ford gasser van (for winter, front wheel drive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
dixiepc
Diesel Boss

I've read the Wikipedia stuff and there seems to be some misinformation, they are calling it a converted gas engine and I know that that's not true.I am more interested in the 5.7 but I can't find out when the DX blocks started. Did the ones used in the Chevy trucks still use a BOP bell housing? And did they ever come in front of a 700R4?
I have been driving a 1992 Suburban that I converted to a N/A 6.2 now for 14 months, so I've learned how to drive and take care of a diesel.
2.5" true duals with Flowmaster SUV 50's with a 2.5" H-pipe just in front of the mufflers bent over the driveshaft.

1997 K2500 Silverado 6.5 TD, 2000 GM enhanced block, Extend Cab, Short Box, with a NV4500. 4" Diamond Eye straight exhaust. Holset H1C turbo with 60mm compressor wheel and 14 cm exhaust housing. Converted to a 5149 DB2 set to 4911 specs by Tim at Accurate Diesel.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
MackManiac
Diesel Boss

Dd blocks were either 81 or 83 cant remember for sure. Id just build a another 6.2 with tiny precups and a 130 Hp light pump. My 6.2 got 25 mpg all the time with 700r4 in my 82 1/2 ton 2wd
82 scottsdale K20-6.2J TH400. "Redblock". head swap to late model 6.2 heads, "T"- double square pre cups. .010" victor head gaskets. Duraterm glow plugs, 4648 db2 pump turned up 1/4 turn, Frankenstein crossover pipe, custom 3.5" downpipe to custom 5" exhaust, mack fuel filters, 6.5 lift pump, super ugly boost/pyro gauges. 18cm H1C DONE! H1e 58mm upgrade! 4" lift with 36" bias ply hummer take off's.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deezel
Diesel Head

The 4.3 engine couldn't pull it's weight even if it was going down hill. The 5.7 was notorious for breaking cranks, breaking blocks, and spitting out head gaskets like they were made out of cardboard. Would not waste my time on one if they were free.

The 5.7 had two bolt mains just like the 5.7 olds gas burner.. Some company offered a gas conversion kit for the thing to convert it back to gas. Seems that worked fairly well since the flat top pistons brought the compression up to about 10 to 1. Most people opted to just replace the engine with a 350 Olds which would practically bolt right back in. Some dealers actually did that to keep their customers happy.

The neatest Olds had to be the 4.3L with the 5 speed manual option. Extremely rare. Only knew of one vehicle in my area that ever existed.

Dr.Diesel Mondello offered the conversion kit. Here's some info that might help. http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofedsl.htm

Last edited by Deezel; 01-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

There were 3 different Olds diesel 4.3's.

78-79 there was a 260/4.3 V8 that was available in some of the mid size cars. Just a smaller bore version of the 350. It was said that there was never a warranty replacement for those, if / when one failed it got replaced with a 350. I believe these were the only ones offered with a manual trans option. Very rare now days. BOP bell.

80-83 ish? There was a longitudinal / 'RWD' version of the 5.7. Pretty much the same deal as the Chev 4.3 is the 5.7 with 2 cylinders missing. This too was an option only on some of the mid size cars. Usually something like a Cutlass or Malibu. Not real common and many of the survivors got sucked up by diesel enthusiasts for jeep and other small rig swaps. BOP bell.

82?-85 there was then a transverse version of the engine. Like the other transverse engines it had different mounting points, different accessory layout, different intake, and used the FWD bell. Used a new head and head bolt design rather than the same as gas design the longitudinal designs used.

There was a v5 cylinder prototype built around 83-84 ish that was supposed to go into the smaller FWD cars.

The 78-81 Chev light trucks diesel option was the same 5.7 that went into the cars originally. Had the BOP bell. I think it was only available in the 1/2 ton 2x AT trucks. In 80 the cars switched to a return less 'micro pop it' injector. The earlier design and trucks used a more typical for a small diesel 'pencil' style injector. Cars got new head design in 81 with internal (like a gas engine) EGR. The electronics evolved and glow plug systems evolved over the years along with emissions stuff.

Anyone who says they were converted gas engines does not know anything about how a diesel works, its just not practical to 'convert'. Blocks were a lot heavier, had larger main bearings than gas engines of its size, and oh ya a place to put an injector pump? Since the engines were intended for cars that already had Oldsmobile engines it did make sense to have them share the same basic physical dimensions. I would also imagine it made sense to share as much as possible from a cost standpoint. Why make a new valve cover? Oil pan? Water pump? The biggest problem with their share concept was the head bolt layout which was the same as the gas engines, basically 2 bolts between each cylinder. It works but had no margin for abuse which there was a lot of in those fairly early for diesel years. The transverse V6 was the only one that had a more typical diesel bolt layout with more bolts.

They are interesting engines and with a slight amount of thought can care can easily survive now days. Biggest problem is parts are getting harder to find. Most have been out of production for many years now so its all NOS and there are enough of us nuts out there that are using up whats left and I doubt there is enough of a market for anyone to start making new parts. I have been running one as a semi daily driver for 3 years now and love it but its getting tired and Im not sure I want to put a lot of money into fixing it or finding another one. May look into something that is still more common like putting a 6.2/6.5 into one of those late 70's or early 80's land yachts. How about a 6.5 turbo in a custom cruiser wagon?
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

And on the transmission front the early ones in the cars were 200's. Some said the trucks got 400's but no one seems to have been able to confirm that, I would think being a limited HP and torque app in a 1/2 ton the 350 was more likely. Once OD came on the scene the 200 4r was the only option (unless it was an FWD E body then it was the 325L4). Only the HD towing package (usually on the wagons) got a 350.

700r4 was never made in a BOP so if you went that route you would have to do an adapter which should not be an issue power wise. There were 700's with diesels so you could get one with the proper 'tune' to work well with a diesel. If you got a transverse V6 you could get one of the s-10 700's that was made for the 60* v6 engines since those were the FWD bell.

350 and 400 was an extra pain to deal with since those used vac modulators, you need a hard to find now days dodad to fake a vac signal to them. The 200 series just had the cable for control.
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
dixiepc
Diesel Boss

Thanks for the reply 57. I'd like to have one of the transverse 4.3s with an S-10 700r4 in something. I bet you could get some good mileage with that combo.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Maybe but you would want to stuff it into a fairly light somewhat aero dynamic vehicle. They did not make a lot of power so they would be working pretty hard to drag something heavy or tall around.

One of my sort of maybe someday projects would be a 5.7 diesel in a Fiero. I have a Eldorado I am currently driving plus a complete running engine and trans in the shed. I know a guy in town that has put Cad 500's and 455's in them so a 350 should be easy. Its a smaller lighter car so it may perform alright and get some kind of mileage. Best part is they can be had cheap so you don't have to invest a lot in something you may never finish or may not like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in