Diesel Place banner

RIP Dear Friend the passing of the 2500/3500 Suburban

Info: 
4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Camaroz1985 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well folks I don't get a lot of surf time for the forums these days, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is something I need to let you all know.

Last Thursday we received notice that our 4 3500 2019 Suburbans had been canceled for the first quarter and the 2 for the second quarter are indefinitely suspended from production, so we gave a call over to the Arlington plant to find out what is going on and they informed us that they were sorry but our 2018's from July that didn't get built till Nov were of a batch of only 88 orders for the last 1/2 of the year and that this first quarter they only have 36 on order and 2nd quarter there are only 8 orders and they just simply can't retool for such small quantities.

I get it but it is a shame, I guess the HD Suburban has out lived its place in the auto sector, they said at this point there are no plans of producing the SUV anymore :(

We can modify the CCSB truck frame to accommodate the SUV body but it is doubtful that states like Ca will ever allow it due to the 1500 VIN on the body

We will have to see what becomes of the 3.0L in the 1500 Silerado and Sierra and make plans for swaping that platform into the 1500 SUV's to keep them compliant.

At any rate at almost 85 years old the Suburban name plate is the longest running vehicle in the world and the 2500 type has been around since 1973 for the past 45 years, not a bad run.

It's sad to see it leaving the GM truck line up but you never know it could pop back in the future, one can only hope.

Good-by dear friend.

See less See more
#3 ·
RIP

:saluteusa:

#4 ·
We will have to see what becomes of the 3.0L in the 1500 Silerado and Sierra and make plans for swaping that platform into the 1500 SUV's to keep them compliant.
Probably won't have to do the swap if my source is to be believed. DEF tank is referenced on 2021 SUV wiring schematic...

#5 ·
Its funny because you are right Dmax3500
Dealerships that did little if any fleet were completely unaware of it.

Yea you would think that the 1500 SUV Diesel would be a no-brainier but we will have to wait and see. When the 2016 3500 Sub cam out there was a LML option for it on the order options but never came about, these days the 1500 with its 9.5" rear diff and 400+ ftlb motor options is so stout it can do most anything the general public needs.

#12 ·
Its funny because you are right Dmax3500
Dealerships that did little if any fleet were completely unaware of it.

Yea you would think that the 1500 SUV Diesel would be a no-brainier but we will have to wait and see. When the 2016 3500 Sub cam out there was a LML option for it on the order options but never came about, these days the 1500 with its 9.5" rear diff and 400+ ftlb motor options is so stout it can do most anything the general public needs.

The fact that the 3500 Suburban was targeted towards fleet sales probably goes a long way towards explaining why it never saw much sales.

I would still attribute the fact that out of the factory - it had an abysmally low tow rating was probably what nailed the coffin shut though. If it wasn't for that I bet more people would have actively sought the thing out so they could get their hands on one for tow duty (similar to the old 2500 Suburban/Yukon XLs)

#6 ·
That means I am going to have to find a used 2500 Suburban and get it done.

#7 ·
All we have ever had is 2500 suburbans. Sad to see them go. Hopefully they will make a comeback somehow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
If GM hadn't restricted the 11K GVWR 3500 Suburban to FLEET ONLY, maybe there would have been more orders to justify building them. I know several RV'ers with young families who prefer towing tag trailers, and would prefer the safety margin of a 3/4 or 1 ton rated tow vehicle over a 1/2 ton towing vehicle, and would also prefer the interior continuous space of an SUV over a crew cab pickup.

GM's restricted availability naturally resulted in a restricted number of orders.

#10 ·
If GM hadn't restricted the 11K GVWR 3500 Suburban to FLEET ONLY, maybe there would have been more orders to justify building them. I know several RV'ers with young families who prefer towing tag trailers, and would prefer the safety margin of a 3/4 or 1 ton rated tow vehicle over a 1/2 ton towing vehicle, and would also prefer the interior continuous space of an SUV over a crew cab pickup.

GM's restricted availability naturally resulted in a restricted number of orders.

Having said the foregoing, and not being able to add to it on edit, the 3500HD Suburban technically had far less towing capacity than the 1500 Suburban. But leaving the paper specs for a moment, and looking at the heavier rated axles, transmission, brakes, suspension, and frame, I know which vehicle I'd rather have, ratings be dam*ed.

I haven't been able to wear out my 2005 2500 Suburban yet, so that is one reason why Arlington didn't get an order from me for the 3500HD.

#13 ·
Ever watch the news reports from the White House? Look in the background - the government appears to still be using quite a few of the last generation 2500 SUVs.

Maybe one of the reasons for poor sales was that the Govt. just didn't have that many vehicles that needed replacing.

Seems like GM has demonstrated that the frame under the 2500/3500 SUVs is good for either hauling a very load in the truck - or pulling a very heavy load behind the truck (the old 8.1L SUVs had a 12,000 pound tow rating if I remember correctly).

If GM wanted to sell more HD SUV's maybe they should offer up some different options, so you can get one built for it's intended purpose.

#16 ·
We are going to switch over to the 3500 CCSB and mode the frame for the Suburban

Yes you can switch over to the 8X180 the ABS systems are the same but to keep the wheel speed sensors happy you will need a 10.5 HD rear diff from a 2011 or newer gas PU. you will also need to change the front spindles to bring over the bigger hubs

#17 ·
Can you just order a new replacement 2500/3500 SUV frame and build that up using the CCSB parts?

-P.

#19 ·

#20 · (Edited)
Fleet only equals death. Anyway. I thought the frames were pretty much Identical to all the previous 3/4 tons, ie, 2012 frames could go under the 2018. Seems like you could just build up a 2012 chassis with all the modern diesel goodies, lift the body off the 1/2 ton frame, roll the 3/4 ton chassis under it and voila. probably over simplified, but seems logical. Eric, your earlier posts identified that GM did not create a new frame for these new HD Suburbans, but repurposed old stock, old engines, everything under the boddy was old stuff, what am I missing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.