Info: RIP Dear Friend the passing of the 2500/3500 Suburban - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Frankenstein
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Frankenstein Did you put a 6.5 in a Camaro? A Duramax in a boat? A Cummins in a Chevy? A Powerstroke in a van? Then you must have a touch of the good Dr. Frankenstein. Post your stories, questions, discussions in here... this is intended to be a place to discuss your questions on how to, what to do, etc...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Quiky One
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What will the United States Secret Service start using? I kind of thought general motors kept the 3500 HD sub alive for government use. It sounds like from your report they were purchasing most of them (if only 88 were made). I’m curious what you think.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
calsdad
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTDIguy View Post
Its funny because you are right Dmax3500
Dealerships that did little if any fleet were completely unaware of it.

Yea you would think that the 1500 SUV Diesel would be a no-brainier but we will have to wait and see. When the 2016 3500 Sub cam out there was a LML option for it on the order options but never came about, these days the 1500 with its 9.5" rear diff and 400+ ftlb motor options is so stout it can do most anything the general public needs.

The fact that the 3500 Suburban was targeted towards fleet sales probably goes a long way towards explaining why it never saw much sales.

I would still attribute the fact that out of the factory - it had an abysmally low tow rating was probably what nailed the coffin shut though. If it wasn't for that I bet more people would have actively sought the thing out so they could get their hands on one for tow duty (similar to the old 2500 Suburban/Yukon XLs)

Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
calsdad
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiky One View Post
What will the United States Secret Service start using? I kind of thought general motors kept the 3500 HD sub alive for government use. It sounds like from your report they were purchasing most of them (if only 88 were made). Iím curious what you think.

Ever watch the news reports from the White House? Look in the background - the government appears to still be using quite a few of the last generation 2500 SUVs.

Maybe one of the reasons for poor sales was that the Govt. just didn't have that many vehicles that needed replacing.

Seems like GM has demonstrated that the frame under the 2500/3500 SUVs is good for either hauling a very load in the truck - or pulling a very heavy load behind the truck (the old 8.1L SUVs had a 12,000 pound tow rating if I remember correctly).

If GM wanted to sell more HD SUV's maybe they should offer up some different options, so you can get one built for it's intended purpose.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
calsdad
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN View Post
Having said the foregoing, and not being able to add to it on edit, the 3500HD Suburban technically had far less towing capacity than the 1500 Suburban. But leaving the paper specs for a moment, and looking at the heavier rated axles, transmission, brakes, suspension, and frame, I know which vehicle I'd rather have, ratings be dam*ed.

I haven't been able to wear out my 2005 2500 Suburban yet, so that is one reason why Arlington didn't get an order from me for the 3500HD.

I would love to know how to adapt those larger brakes from the Suburban 3500 into my 2010 Yukon XL 2500. I like the look of some of the new wheels for the 8x180 bolt pattern too - so having a set on there would make for a nice look .

I suspect that putting the larger brakes and going to the 8x180 wheels is a pretty simple factory parts swap - since the 3500 uses the same CCSB frame as the older trucks - but as of yet I haven't been able to figure out what exactly it would entail.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Quiky One
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsdad View Post
Ever watch the news reports from the White House? Look in the background - the government appears to still be using quite a few of the last generation 2500 SUVs.

Maybe one of the reasons for poor sales was that the Govt. just didn't have that many vehicles that needed replacing.

Seems like GM has demonstrated that the frame under the 2500/3500 SUVs is good for either hauling a very load in the truck - or pulling a very heavy load behind the truck (the old 8.1L SUVs had a 12,000 pound tow rating if I remember correctly).

If GM wanted to sell more HD SUV's maybe they should offer up some different options, so you can get one built for it's intended purpose.
I have seen the background and that is why I asked! You know they have a replacement plan in place for the presidential motorcade so I wonder what their future plans are? Just a thought!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
theTDIguy
Diesel Boss

We are going to switch over to the 3500 CCSB and mode the frame for the Suburban

Yes you can switch over to the 8X180 the ABS systems are the same but to keep the wheel speed sensors happy you will need a 10.5 HD rear diff from a 2011 or newer gas PU. you will also need to change the front spindles to bring over the bigger hubs
Old 03-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Prophet
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTDIguy View Post
We are going to switch over to the 3500 CCSB and mode the frame for the Suburban

Yes you can switch over to the 8X180 the ABS systems are the same but to keep the wheel speed sensors happy you will need a 10.5 HD rear diff from a 2011 or newer gas PU. you will also need to change the front spindles to bring over the bigger hubs
Can you just order a new replacement 2500/3500 SUV frame and build that up using the CCSB parts?

-P.

'05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 LBZ QS...massaged by Duraburb
'10 VW Golf TDI

"~ Member #32...A(ACLU) Currently accepting memberships
Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mikey52
Diesel Student

They were only fleet orders. Any way, I couldnít order one unless I found someone to order for me.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You havenít lived Ďtil youíve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in