LBZ: Kriesel Diesel - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Frankenstein
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Frankenstein Did you put a 6.5 in a Camaro? A Duramax in a boat? A Cummins in a Chevy? A Powerstroke in a van? Then you must have a touch of the good Dr. Frankenstein. Post your stories, questions, discussions in here... this is intended to be a place to discuss your questions on how to, what to do, etc...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

awesome job

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

Wanted to copy/paste to my build thread about an issue I also posted here:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ng-issues.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
The last few days I've been having some issues with surging, stumbling, lots of engine vibrations, etc... Wanted to document what I've found, and maybe get some pointers along the way.

Vehicle is a 2003 suburban, with a 2006 lbz swap. I've driven the truck without fail for about 25k miles since the swap.

In the past couple weeks I've had the following engine codes at different times:
P0336 - crank sensor, have seen this code twice in two days, I lose RPM signal on the dash when hitting large bumps on the road.
P0005 - fuel shutoff valve circuit open, popped up once, can't replicate
P0001 - fuel volume regulator circuit open, popped up once, can't replicate
P0606 - ECM fault, popped up once, can't replicate
P0650 - The constant fault I have since the swap (which means I can't see the engine light on the dash, I've assumed this is a wire missing since the engine swap. I just check the light with the scangauge all the time at the moment)

I changed the fuel filter just the other day. It seemed like the engine shaking like crazy was in line with the overnight temps starting to get cold here, and so I thought that maybe the filter was struggling with cold temps. It didn't really seem to change the situation. In my head I think I wanted to think that this was helping, but honestly I don't think it made any difference. After changing the filter, it still seemed to shake and such.

With the fuel related engine codes, both only happening once, I was thinking maybe my fuel pressure regulator is bad.

In the last two days with the crank sensor code, now I'm concerned with the crank sensor or the reluctor wheel coming loose. Really hoping the reluctor wheel isn't the issue, but wouldn't be the end of the world to replace.

I've done the wire harness wiggle test with the engine running. I've shaken wires at the crank sensor, no change in idle. I've shaken the large connectors on top of the engine, no change. I've checked various locations for wire rub, haven't found anything jumping out at me. Finally, I moved the wires late last night at the ecm plug, and the engine changes rpm by moving the wires that go into the ecm. So, either the wires are rubbing, or the connector is loose (i'll double check this tonight).

Another thing I found was this:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/g...ml#post9769513

And I have the same clip missing on that plug. So I'll have to find that. But I didn't seem to have any issues when shaking the wiring harness at that connection.

The only place I've found that effects the engine when I shake the harness is right at the ECM.

For about a week I've had rough running engine with throttle, but not on deceleration. For the last couple days I've had issues with loss of tach signal for a blip of a second when hitting bumps.

I'll fiddle with it some more tonight and see what I can find. It seemed to drive a little better today after moving wires around for a while last night. But I still lost tach signal a couple times, and got P0336 to come back, and my cruise control didn't work half way to work today. Sorry if I was kinda all over the place here...
Quote:
Last Friday I dug into the issue. Spent my night unplugging the majority of the engine harness, looking for wire rub and such.

Knowing the MIL codes that I was getting, I was focusing on the following circuits (highlighted in green):
Capture by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Capture1 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Capture2 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Capture3 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

I took everything apart. I unwound some of the tape and such from suspect areas. I didn't find anything related to the ciruits I was having issues with. I ended up finding two wires that were seemingly unrelated, and fixed them and wrapped them back up. So, I didn't find any obvious signs of wire rub.

In the ECM plugs, they were pretty dirty, and so I cleaned those up:
Untitled by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

I was a little stumped, and was thinking that inside the plug for the ECM that I would find some bad wires on the circuits that I had previously highlighted. I put all the plugs back together, tied things back up, made sure some areas wouldn't rub in the future.

Fired it up, seemed ok Friday night at midnight. Saturday, no issues. Since then, still no issues. I've now driven 400 miles or so with no issues.

So, I'm guessing at this point that I had a loose connector, and I'm thinking the C1 plug on the ECM was a touch loose, causing the issues I had. No wire rub, but loose connectors is my conclusion. On to bigger and better things.
While messing around with this wiring issue, I also finally took some time to look at the MIL light issue I was having.

Last winter, when I first did the build, I did this:
Quote:
On the C100 plug in the suburban, I removed these two wires to make room for the twisted pair communication wires:
Come to find out, the brown/white wire I removed on the Suburban side of the C100 plug really still needed to be there, but moved to line up with the Duramax side of the C100 plug.
Capture5 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Upon re-install, and plugging the batteries in, I now have an MIL indicator.

The pink wire that I now still have disconnected at the C100 plug looks to be the Damping Lift/Drive signal wire. Not sure where to connect that to, so it will stay disconnected for the time being... I can't find the circuit 1101 for this on the duramax wiring diagrams. On the suburban it looks like it went to the C3 plug, but the duramax wiring doesn't show this circuit anywhere that I can see. I'll keep digging.

Last edited by Kriesel; 10-04-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

I finally finished the grille. Used a 2002 HD grille, had the center piece painted, and darker headlights to even it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Camaroz1985
Diesel Apprentice

That looks great!!
Member #984 of the 3500 Dually Club

Current
2006 Suburban 2500, 8.1L/4.10s. In very very early planning stages for a Duramax swap.

Past

2006 LLY CC Dually - Sold 8/15 with 454780 miles and going strong.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #35 (permalink)
DAVe3283
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
The pink wire that I now still have disconnected at the C100 plug looks to be the Damping Lift/Drive signal wire. Not sure where to connect that to, so it will stay disconnected for the time being... I can't find the circuit 1101 for this on the duramax wiring diagrams. On the suburban it looks like it went to the C3 plug, but the duramax wiring doesn't show this circuit anywhere that I can see. I'll keep digging.
I have a 2003 Quadrasteer with a LB7 swap. On the LB7, the Damping Lift/Dive Signal exists on the ECU, so I just connected them up. It looks like it only exists on the LB7 though, as even the LLY removed that signal. So I am pretty sure your LBZ doesn't have that.

From what I can infer, the signal is used by the ECU to tell the ride control module to expect a lift/dive event, such as a hard acceleration or grade braking. This would make the suspension react a bit quicker to a throttle stab or a downshift, but realistically the suspension module will figure it out from the wheel position sensors, just not preemptively. I wouldn't worry too much doing anything with that particular wire, especially if you have been happy with how it rides.

I like the 2001 HD front end on the Suburban. Thanks for sharing that photo. I have been contemplating doing that on mine, and I think I will after seeing yours. Right now I have the stock Suburban front end with a 2" bumper lift, so I don't have the tow hooks anymore. Looks really stealth/stock, but so does yours, and you have working tow hooks. A lot of people do the 2003+ HD truck front end, but IMO that doesn't look good on a Suburban.
135k miles. 6-speed Allison conversion. Quadrasteer 4-wheel steering.

1982 Chevy C10 Silverado 6.2L Diesel RWD Single Cab LB

115k miles. Built 700R4 automatic, 4.11 gears.

Cheap bastage -- guilty as charged.
~~ TheBac
If you try Pee in the urea tank, Ur ine for big problems. ~~ heymccall

Last edited by DAVe3283; 06-24-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #36 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
I have a 2003 Quadrasteer with a LB7 swap. On the LB7, the Damping Lift/Dive Signal exists on the ECU, so I just connected them up. It looks like it only exists on the LB7 though, as even the LLY removed that signal. So I am pretty sure your LBZ doesn't have that.

From what I can infer, the signal is used by the ECU to tell the ride control module to expect a lift/dive event, such as a hard acceleration or grade braking. This would make the suspension react a bit quicker to a throttle stab or a downshift, but realistically the suspension module will figure it out from the wheel position sensors, just not preemptively. I wouldn't worry too much doing anything with that particular wire, especially if you have been happy with how it rides.

I like the 2001 HD front end on the Suburban. Thanks for sharing that photo. I have been contemplating doing that on mine, and I think I will after seeing yours. Right now I have the stock Suburban front end with a 2" bumper lift, so I don't have the tow hooks anymore. Looks really stealth/stock, but so does yours, and you have working tow hooks. A lot of people do the 2003+ HD truck front end, but IMO that doesn't look good on a Suburban.
Oh nice! I should have looked at wiring for an LB7 I guess, never thought to look into that engine for the wiring.

After replacing the bump stops, the ride has been just fine. I think I will put new shocks on the front end, and put resistors in the wiring for the shock so I can run something other than the autoride style shocks. But, it rides good now as well.

I like the front end too. I contemplated the 2003+ as well, but I'm happy with how this turned out.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
nosprkplugs
Freeze Plug

So just to clarify, the diesel coolers bolted into the suburban support even though the support is shorter? If I have a good diesel support then I don't have to put the spacers on the bottom correct?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
DAVe3283
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosprkplugs View Post
So just to clarify, the diesel coolers bolted into the suburban support even though the support is shorter? If I have a good diesel support then I don't have to put the spacers on the bottom correct?
The Suburban core support can be used for a LB7. I believe you have to use the truck core support for a LBZ and newer. And in all cases, the top aluminum bar needs to be from the truck, or the intercooler won't fit right.

You need the 2" spacers regardless of which core support is used. On the trucks, they have RPO code "HVY" which is a 2" body lift. This is done by welding all the body mounts 2" higher on the frame. So you can either cut the mounts off the frame and re-weld them 2" higher, or just use a 2" spacer. Most people use a spacer.

If you don't perform the body lift one way or another, the engine will still fit (barely) and clear the hood (barely). I tried to do my Suburban that way, but the Allison transmission was just touching the transmission tunnel, and none of the hoses lined up. So you would have to get custom intercooler tubes and coolant lines. But the real killer is the fan shroud no longer fits, which I never was able to find a good solution to. Ended up just doing the tapered 2" lift (2" at the front, 0" at the back).
135k miles. 6-speed Allison conversion. Quadrasteer 4-wheel steering.

1982 Chevy C10 Silverado 6.2L Diesel RWD Single Cab LB

115k miles. Built 700R4 automatic, 4.11 gears.

Cheap bastage -- guilty as charged.
~~ TheBac
If you try Pee in the urea tank, Ur ine for big problems. ~~ heymccall
Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

I'm using the LBZ diesel core support, with LBZ diesel cooling package, but the suburban wire harness for the dual air bag sensors.

I've read that the allison fits pretty snug in the suburban transmission tunnel, so it helps to have some clearance there. I've looked at a couple trucks, and without putting a tape measure on anything, it looks like the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks with a duramax have the core support mounts welded in a location 2" different than the suburban, similar to what Dave said.

Currently I have a 2" lift across the entire length of the suburban, more for the ease of just getting the project done when I built it. I plan to change to the tapered lift sometime this summer.

Last edited by Kriesel; 06-26-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
Saltwater man
Low Boost

You have my admiration, I’ve been a heavy equipment mechanic for 35 yrs and I’m not sure I would have tackled this project, it looks like it turned out well.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in