LBZ: Kriesel Diesel - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Frankenstein
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Frankenstein Did you put a 6.5 in a Camaro? A Duramax in a boat? A Cummins in a Chevy? A Powerstroke in a van? Then you must have a touch of the good Dr. Frankenstein. Post your stories, questions, discussions in here... this is intended to be a place to discuss your questions on how to, what to do, etc...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
coloradomtnman
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Great job on the conversion! I suggest you keep that rear end from the truck for when you tear up your Quadrasteer rear end like I did....

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Great READ...incredibly impressive build..!!

Cheers,

Theo

352,270 miles (566,925km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

I've now driven a little over 5k miles since the swap. It's been too cold out to clean up loose ends, but it's generally good to go. Once it gets warmer out I'll continue to work on the checklist items. But, daily driving it as well for now. Running/driving great.

New license plate bracket:
Untitled by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Had to install new idler pulleys and tensioner. They were making all kinds of racket...

Last edited by Kriesel; 02-09-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2018, 12:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
bigdogyj
Clutch

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bigdogyj Send a message via Yahoo to bigdogyj Send a message via Skype™ to bigdogyj

@Kriesel,
Did anything else have to be done to the body computer modules other than the theft lock relearn on the ECU?
I assume the ECU VIN and BCM VIN are each retaining their respective vehicles VIN's?

R.I.P.
06 GMC CC/SB LBZ D/A SLT 4x4 102k Miles
Sacrificed 06 Chevy LT3 LBZ CC/LB DRW @ 121k miles (Powertrain transplanted to 04 Yukon XL ☝︎)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

I didn't do anything to the BCM other than the field relearn. With you being in California, I'm not sure what you would legally need to accomplish. Maybe move out of the state?? haha! I don't have EFI live, and so I can't be sure if the vin numbers are the same or if the ECM and BCM currently have different vins now.

In other news, the truck is currently at about 9000 miles since the swap, going to change oil this week for the first time!

Last edited by Kriesel; 04-03-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
testdrive
Diesel Boss

The Suburban Club Member

Just to be clear... The ECM/PCM got the relearn process. Yes the ECM/PCM will have the correct VIN of the Suburban if the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) is operative. The BCM and the ECM/PCM have to verify that the VINs are the same before the engine can run.
The BCM normally remains original as it is the personality of the truck. And cannot be reprogrammed with EFI

DieselPlace.com February 2014 Truck Of The Month

Proud owner of a 2003 Chevrolet Duramax Suburban K2500
powered by a 2007 LBZ Duramax Diesel
6SP Allison with Transgo JR mod
Duramax Suburban Brotherhood member #7
EFI DSP5 tuned thanks to thefermanator

Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Figured it's warmed up enough to get my A/C working finally. I've had the system closed up and capped off until now, and left the pump unplugged.

Been ok without it, but this last weekend it was like 100, and in a few days we're taking a family trip, and so I didn't want to drive 6 hours with the wife and kids with all the windows open...

So, I had called around to a few places that do welding. A good friend could do it, but I haven't had time to drive the few hours to his house. A local shop (low and behold with a business name of the metal doctor) declined to weld it for me, and a couple other local shops also declined to attempt to weld it. So, for the meantime I decided to use compression fittings. I saw someone else did it with success. I was concerned over long term corrosion, and so looked into what metal I would need that wouldn't corrode. Aluminum fittings would be nice, but what I found is that they are hard to come by in this large of a compression fitting. I thought stainless steel would be the obvious solution, but found this document showing the corrosion characteristics of various metals:
https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...0Corrosion.pdf

I found these zinc-plated fitting at McMaster-Carr, ordered them up, and at my door in like a day. I love that place...

Material Zinc-Plated Steel
Maximum Pressure 2,000 psi @ 72 F
Temperature Range -65 to 400 F

52215k543l by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

52215k547l by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

I used one 1/2" fitting, and two 3/4" fittings. I cut the aluminum Y out of the suburban's 3/4" line, and spliced it into the duramax line above the engine. I cut the longer end of the 1/2" aluminum line at the condensor from the duramax and spliced that into the suburban's line that has a Y in it as well. That probably sounds confusing, so here's the pictures I took.

One of the fittings that came in the mail:

Here's me holding the duramax 1/2" line that I cut the end off on the radiator end:

The line in place with the duramax end coupled to the suburban line. You can see the compression coupler hiding a few inches behind the core support:

A view of the 1/2" compression fitting just behind the core support:

The Y spliced into the duramax line. I also used the duramax dryer, with the fitting angled away from the fuel filter:

I charged it up and filled with a little pag oil last night, and seems to be good to go. The compression fittings are more than capable of the pressure, so that wasn't a concern. I just don't want them to corrode long term. We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, I have operational air conditioning, just in time for a family trip.

Last edited by Kriesel; 07-03-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Finally put a duramax logo on the rear tailgate, had some on the side doors, but thought the one on the tailgate was missing:

Had a flat the other day, just a screw in the tire. Fixed that up, but had to mount a snow tire for a day:

Had a front bumper cover from a 2002 2500HD truck ordered a while back. Just had a local shop paint it white for about $40, and installed it the other day. Looks great! The grille is on order, and I'll install that when it arrives to fill the gap at the bottom.

Also got new license plates in the mail recently. I could only use 7 characters, so I went with LBZBURB instead of DRABURB or DURABRB:

Last edited by Kriesel; 08-23-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

With some help from 4WS+4WD over on denalitrucks.com (I use that forum for the quadrasteer knowledge available), I recently replaced the bump stops on the front of the suburban. I wasn't aware at how much of an effect they have with the suspension, but holy cow what a difference with them replaced. They were non-existent and with the added weight of the duramax it rode like an old Caddilac with bad shocks... Much better now!

Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Camaroz1985
Diesel Apprentice

Just did the same on mine. Even without the Duramax it is a huge difference.

Member #984 of the 3500 Dually Club

Current
2006 Suburban 2500, 8.1L/4.10s. In very very early planning stages for a Duramax swap.

Past

2006 LLY CC Dually - Sold 8/15 with 454780 miles and going strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in