Duramax Suburban Brotherhood - Page 96 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Frankenstein
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Frankenstein Did you put a 6.5 in a Camaro? A Duramax in a boat? A Cummins in a Chevy? A Powerstroke in a van? Then you must have a touch of the good Dr. Frankenstein. Post your stories, questions, discussions in here... this is intended to be a place to discuss your questions on how to, what to do, etc...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #951 (permalink)
SButler83
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I am primarily doing my swap for longevity and fuel economy. I use my suburban to get my kids from Texas to CA and back twice a year (and hopefully with increased MPG
= affordability, more than that in the future). Currently the 8.1 gets 9-11 MPG.
I literally read this thread from start to finish, all 96 pages here today. I had some questions:

1) My suburban has the 10.5" RG rear axle. I have the donor truck which has a 11.5" RG axle and both trucks have the 3.73 Ratio. After reading this post, I am inclined to stay with the 10.5" RG axle, but I was wondering what the Rear GAWR gain would be going with the 11.5" axle.

2) I have seen several different proposed solutions for hooking up the front and rear A/C, but I didn't recall anyone specifically doing this to the LB7 compressor and the 01/02 Suburban/Yukon.

Thanks in advance!

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #952 (permalink)
duramaxforlife
Diesel Newbie

Most people here would agree that you should use the 11.5 rear axle as for the difference in weight I cant say but for me I looked at the two side by side and that made the decision easy for me. If you do decide to use the 11.5 axle you're gonna have to cut the shock mounts off and use the 10.5 mounts cause they're angled differently on the trucks and you'll have to use the leaf springs off the suburban.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #953 (permalink)
elcaminonut69
Diesel Apprentice

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SButler83 View Post
I am primarily doing my swap for longevity and fuel economy. I use my suburban to get my kids from Texas to CA and back twice a year (and hopefully with increased MPG
= affordability, more than that in the future). Currently the 8.1 gets 9-11 MPG.
I literally read this thread from start to finish, all 96 pages here today. I had some questions:

1) My suburban has the 10.5" RG rear axle. I have the donor truck which has a 11.5" RG axle and both trucks have the 3.73 Ratio. After reading this post, I am inclined to stay with the 10.5" RG axle, but I was wondering what the Rear GAWR gain would be going with the 11.5" axle.

2) I have seen several different proposed solutions for hooking up the front and rear A/C, but I didn't recall anyone specifically doing this to the LB7 compressor and the 01/02 Suburban/Yukon.

Thanks in advance!
I stayed with the 10.5 in mine and it has performed flawlessly for over 300,000 miles. The last 150,000 has been with a DMax with a built trans and max EFI live tune. The rear end still feels like new. The 10.5 behind the 8.1 takes the same u joint as the DMax so you won't have to find a special joint to use.

2003 Suburban LT with an LBZ with 4" exhaust, Kennedy lift pump, Nicktane filter head, auxiliary water separator and efi live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 01:04 AM   #954 (permalink)
XR-Freak
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdb11 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am working on a few things on my 2004 suburban and need some help.

1. Is there a way I can put a manual switch on the transfer pump from the secondary tank to the primary? I pulled the pigtail off the pump on the rear tank and I have a light green, dark blue, and two black wires. Eventually I will get the tune for it to work correctly.

2. I have tried to wire the wait to start light based on wiring diagrams I have found online. I ran a wire from the C1 connector on the ECM (dark blue wire) to the A2 pin on the cluster pigtail with no luck. I didn't wire all the way to the C1 connector, I started at the plug under the fuse box. I am still getting a P0381 code and no light on the cluster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I learned a great deal from reading through this thread, and I am looking forward to joining the brotherhood shortly!

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention, engine is a 2005 LLY.
When I flip the switch to manually transfer the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank I always set the timer on my iPhone. Has anyone found a 12v digital timer we can implement so that we don't burn up the aux fuel pump on accident? One of these days I'm going to forget it's on......

****** I run my pump for 15 minutes. Does that seem right?

2006 Sierra 2500 LT LBZ 4X4 - Titan Tank, Billet Fuel Pick-Up, Kennedy Mega Fuel Filter, Dual Lift Pumps, EFI-Live by Kennedy Diesel, Turbo, Air and Pyro Gauges, HID, Viper Remote Start, Alpine TV, Alpine Amp, 12" Sub, 3 boxes of Dynamat.

Last edited by XR-Freak; 01-08-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:22 AM   #955 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

google for 12V DC electric timer. there are a variety of them available...

As long as the tank you are pumping from still has fuel in it, it's fine to keep pumping.

If you wanted to get complicated, and the auxiliary tank has a fuel level sensor, you could use an arduino to display the fuel level in the tank, automatically stop pumping if the fuel level gets too low, and perhaps even work like the oem setup, where it automatically pumps to the main tank as the main tank is emptied.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 01-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #956 (permalink)
XR-Freak
Glow Plug

I think I'm going to go with a time delay relay. 15 minutes = 900 seconds
The 12V timers I'm finding are cumbersome and ugly.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-D...hoC4WoQAvD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
google for 12V DC electric timer. there are a variety of them available...

As long as the tank you are pumping from still has fuel in it, it's fine to keep pumping.

If you wanted to get complicated, and the auxiliary tank has a fuel level sensor, you could use an arduino to display the fuel level in the tank, automatically stop pumping if the fuel level gets too low, and perhaps even work like the oem setup, where it automatically pumps to the main tank as the main tank is emptied.

2006 Sierra 2500 LT LBZ 4X4 - Titan Tank, Billet Fuel Pick-Up, Kennedy Mega Fuel Filter, Dual Lift Pumps, EFI-Live by Kennedy Diesel, Turbo, Air and Pyro Gauges, HID, Viper Remote Start, Alpine TV, Alpine Amp, 12" Sub, 3 boxes of Dynamat.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:13 AM   #957 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Check out Fuel Balance Transfer pump that was used on GMT-400 C3500HD. I describe it here: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...tank-tune.html
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #958 (permalink)
XR-Freak
Glow Plug

I'm having a tough time finding an insurance company that will cover my Yukon XL w/LMM Allison swap. I'm looking for a policy that in the event of a total loss will give me $60,000.00. Anyone find a reputable company? I tried Haggerty's and they won't insure it bc it's not a "show car" and that 6000 miles a year is too much driving in a year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in