P205b plus some - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blackcloud13
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

P205b plus some

2011 LML LTZ 190K. Iím getting the P205b code plus some other weird problems. Iíve cleared the code a few times but when I turn on the turn indicators the dash immediately gives me the ďblinker onĒ warning with the audio beeping. Occasionally Iíll get a ďservice traction controlĒ as well. The DEF tank heater was already serviced by the dealership at 70Kish miles. I was having the same problems last year when PCM failed and the transmission would not shift so Iím on my second PCM. Anyone have any clue why I would get the p205b, blinker warning and service traction control warning? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
rob1
Diesel Apprentice

Service traction control could be unrelated, can you scan the brake control module and see if there’s any codes there? Likely cause for the P205B is a failed temperature sensor in the DEF reservoir. The reservoir isn’t the tank itself, think more like a fuel tank sending unit. Lots of sensors and electronics in the reservoir, including level sensor, temp sensor, and heater #1. We replace lots of them at my dealer, but not as much in the last 6 months though. Used to be I’d do 2-3 a week, now I can’t remember the last one I did.

Last edited by rob1; 03-20-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Blackcloud13
Gear Grinder

I scanned it today when the check engine light came on. Says the P205B powertrain is a "pending fault" and P140A powertrain is a "historic fault".
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
rob1
Diesel Apprentice

Wouldn’t worry about the 140A, that’s related to the EGR cooler bypass, that won’t cause a limp mode, and because it’s in history it’s not actually a hard failure. The 205B can probably cause a limp, I can’t access service information on my phone to check for sure though. All of the sensors in the DEF reservoir are prone to failure, you’ll just have to swallow it and have the reservoir replaced.

The code for the EGR cooler bypass valve will likely need a new valve, it’s located on the right side of the engine, at the far back. Brown connector with a yellow connector retainer. I have seen a couple times that the wires break inside the insulation near the connector because of the routing, something easy to check yourself. Give each wire a gentle tug individually and see if they fall apart.

Neither one of those codes will cause a traction warning or lamp, I suspect your code reader may not read codes set in the electronic brake control module.

Last edited by rob1; 03-25-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in