Question: 2015.5 LML Head Gasket common issue? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2015.5 LML Head Gasket common issue?

I've got a 2015.5 LML high country (in sig). 99500kms(ish) and the head gasket is f#&=&d. It's been sitting awhile because a garbage truck backed in to it when I was in the store and the grill was on back order for almost 2 months after everything else was fixed (bumper, hood, grill and tranny cooler were all buggered up). Anyway it sat in the driveway for the majority of 2 months then when I drove it the once or twice to pick my daughter up from daycare all the sudden I notice coolant dripping from the passengerside bumper. Turns out it was blowing out the overflow after I stopped it up a couple times I found think out. Wasted money on about 2 gallons of coolant first. Well now it's at the dealer for the rear siding window recall , the coolant leak which I told them in advance was the head gasket after a buddy pressure tested it, that was the only conclusion. And also a shuddering/studdering when stopped with foot on brake at stop lights/signs. They say this issue could be related to the head gasket issue. We will see. Its wednesday and they say I may have it back by monday. So glad ots underwarranty anyway though. BUT is this a common issue with this year LML? I'm seriously considering if it done and fixed and to keep it or too end up considering selling it in the next year or 2 now. This thing is stock. And not just stock for me. Its stock other than mud flaps , bug deflector and window vent visors and husky liner floor mats and under seat rear storage box. Well I did put transynd in the tranny and transfer case too and mobile1 in the diffs.

TRANSGO JR
EGR Blocked and Disabled
Cognito 4" NTBD Kit w/ Zinc plated Bilsteins all around
FOX 2.0'S ALL AROUND
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
285 70 10 PLY BFG AT TAKO's on 17" H2's(SUMMER)
255 85 10 PLY ON 16" PYO'S(WINTER)
AIR LIFT bags
and a few other minor additions here and there(SEE GARAGE)
Towing a 36' 5THWHEEL ENCLOSED CARGO TRAILER ALL DAY LONG!
SOLD 2015 SIERRA HD CCSB SLT

Last edited by 306LBZ; 02-19-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

Did you have any issues with coolant leaking/disappearing before the garbage truck backed into it? IMO, The radiator probably got damaged when he backed into it, especially since itís leaking in the passenger side bumper area. If coolant is coming out of the overflow, it usually drips down close to the frame area on the passenger side at the front of the cab.

Head gaskets usually arenít an issue unless the trucks are run hard. If you daily it and donít abuse it, it shouldnít be an issue.

I wouldnít mess with doing head gaskets unless youíre 100% sure thatís what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Boss

It is definately the head gasket. I dont bag it but I do use the truck. Ive towed with it at least 5 days a week since i got it. It was coming out the overflow dripping down the inner fender making it's way to the bumper area which is why I originally thought it was coming from a rad line. The body shop is a well trusted ome I deal with whenever needed and the guy who runs it treats me well. He double checked to make sure they didnt miss anything and was ready to order parts of needed that day. When they put it on the hoist and started looking he confirmed it was indeed coming out the overflow. He then put the pressure tester on it for me and it held pressure for at least 15 mins. Luckily it is still under warranty and is at the dealer getting the head gasket done now. Makes me wonder if I should get rid of this one or keep it now tho. I wanted to pay it off n keep it but.....I've never had a major problem like this in the past on a duramax. Any questions I should be asking when I pick it up next week? Is there a break in period after this job or just back to driving as usual?
TRANSGO JR
EGR Blocked and Disabled
FOX 2.0'S ALL AROUND
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
AIR LIFT bags

Last edited by 306LBZ; 02-22-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

Back to driving like usual, just need to keep an eye on things the first couple times you drive it and it comes up to temperature to make sure there are no leaks anywhere from having everything disassembled. Although, hopefully the shop drives it around a few times to confirm that themselves.

Did you have any issues with losing coolant before the front end was damaged? Itís just very suspect to me if you didnít have any issues, and it immediately came up after this happened. Probably not much you could have done since itís under warranty and the dealer is doing the repairs, but I would have at least tried to see if they would install ARP head studs for you if you supply them, instead of the stock GM head bolts.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Boss

I thought of asking them if they would do the arp headstuds but knowing this dealer I didnt bother even asking. I have maybe once or twice saw the low coolant msg pop up since buying the truck a couple years ago but the coolant ws never really low. I think I stopped it up once with like a splash of coolant, maybe 1/4 to half a cup. BUT, in the summer when it was hot I did notice something quite a few times, which after research I attributed to the pdf and shutting the truck down during regens possibly. I would drove somewhere(short trip usually) then shut truck off go in to the store come out get in start it leave parking lot get to a red light or stop sign then when taking off from a stop under moderate to heavier throttle there would be a HUGE cloud of white smoke blinding all other drivers behind me. Literally. Happened to look in my mirror one time and noticed this so not sure how long it had been happening. But noticed several times randomly after. It would happen a couple times then after what I figured was the exhaust clearing wouldnt happen again until the next time it did whenever that might be. I searched here and online and found other guys with the same issue and from what they gathered it was unburned fuel from the pdf or somthing so because I didnt notice anything out of the norm I figured drive it as normal because a dealer wont fix a problem that "they cant duplicate". Thinking back maybe this was an early sign? I dont know. But there was never any loss of heat, loss of power or noticeable coolant leaks prior to this major 'leak'. I agree it is odd that this happens after the front end got damaged and when the truck had basically been driving like maybe 2 or 3 times for 10 minutes each time and sat in my driveway for almost 2 months. That's why I tool it back to my body shop to have then double check their work. But I guess it really is just a coincidence, stranger things have happened I suppose. The fact that the dealer agreed with our diagnosis kinda confirmed the fact being that this dealer has tried to screw people while under warranty in the past. I have almost 100000kms but the warranty ends april 22 2020 so I was getting close to the time line too.
TRANSGO JR
EGR Blocked and Disabled
FOX 2.0'S ALL AROUND
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
AIR LIFT bags
Old 02-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

Report back after you do head gaskets to confirm thatís what it was.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Boss

Yuppers will do. I'll add too that when I booked my truck in I had them do the recall for the sliding rear window and also when foot on the brake in gear at a stop light/sign there was a shuddering or studdering you could feel. They said it could possibly be related to the head gasket issue. So I'll keep ya posted on what they say about that too. I dropped it off wednesday. They said I may have it back monday. I kinda hope it takes longer so I dont feel like they rushed it and did a satisfactory job. Either way I'll keep ya posted when I get it back.
TRANSGO JR
EGR Blocked and Disabled
FOX 2.0'S ALL AROUND
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
AIR LIFT bags
Old 02-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
rob1
Diesel Apprentice

GM tech here. Not sure of a failure rate on head gaskets, but Iíve done my share in the last few years, seem to be becoming more common, but now we have 3 large fleet customers with only LML trucks, and they bag them hard. Most model years seem to be 15-16ís but have seen lots of others too, possible that we only see more 15/16ís due to being warranty and retail stuff being priced right out the door.

I would guess 75% of the head gasket failures I have repaired I have found a coolant leak of some kind, be it a lower hose (T fitting or radiator O ring), or radiator itself. It seems as though once these engines cannot hold system pressure that the head gaskets can often not be far behind.

All but one set Iíve done I have found a crack in the gasket from the firing ring to a bolt hole, see attached picture. If dealer isnít going to do both, insist that they do, they wonít know the failed side until they disassemble, If thereís any sign at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8BD87042-59D8-48C8-874C-35A36DE3316F.jpg (28.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Boss

Your starting to scare me there rob. Was hoping I could just keep paying it off and keep it like my LBZ but your making me feel like I'll eventually be trading for another payment in a few more years again. Damn. Knowing this dealer and I'm sure most of them they will have no regard for me telling them they should replace both gaskets unless they chose to make the right decision and do it on their own. I've never had a major problem like this happen to me with a Chevy BUT I would be lying if I didnt say this was starting to make me think more open mindedly about all brands(well another brand a little anyway). I know I know it's just one issue out of how many BUT like I said cant help but admit it is making me keep more open minded, as all newer vehicles seem to have to much expensive technology that is pushed out more so for profit than any other reason speaking in general of course. But hey it could be a random issue and be a good truck for years and years too just have to think about if I'm willing to gamble or not I suppose...
TRANSGO JR
EGR Blocked and Disabled
FOX 2.0'S ALL AROUND
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
AIR LIFT bags

Last edited by 306LBZ; 02-23-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
rob1
Diesel Apprentice

Keep in mind I only see the broken ones! There’s lots out there that only get preventative maintenance to keep them on the road. You just have to be mindful of your truck, same as any other piece of equipment you’re running! Check your levels yourself, if something looks funny, there could be something wrong, and you should investigate farther.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in