cp4 problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kennedy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
VipeRTBlck
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

cp4 problem

red the stuff online and seen places trying to make a lawsuit over the cp4 failures on these lml's. my question is, how much should I worry over this? from briefly reading, the pumps are designed for European fuel which has more lubrication properties than US fuel. i'lll frequently add powerservice to my tank as it has a lubricator (use to add 2 stroke oil in my lb7 but can't do that on my lml as I still have the emissions intact in my exhaust). aside from that the truck is 100% bone stock for warranty reasons. I bought an aftermarket (non-gm) extended warranty from a company called AUL that was offered and supplied by the dealer at time of purchase on the truck. I've read horror stories of the prices it costs when the pump fails. truck's a '16 with 20k on it. runs and drives fine. first fuel filter change was at 7700 miles and the second ones due now at 20k. no, the DIC isn't saying it's due; I just do it every 2 years regardless.

with the stuff I've read i'm contemplating selling the truck and avoiding any trouble financially....is it really that big of an issues with these?

2016 2500HD CCSB LML LTZ Z-71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipeRTBlck View Post
red the stuff online and seen places trying to make a lawsuit over the cp4 failures on these lml's. my question is, how much should I worry over this? from briefly reading, the pumps are designed for European fuel which has more lubrication properties than US fuel. i'lll frequently add powerservice to my tank as it has a lubricator (use to add 2 stroke oil in my lb7 but can't do that on my lml as I still have the emissions intact in my exhaust). aside from that the truck is 100% bone stock for warranty reasons. I bought an aftermarket (non-gm) extended warranty from a company called AUL that was offered and supplied by the dealer at time of purchase on the truck. I've read horror stories of the prices it costs when the pump fails. truck's a '16 with 20k on it. runs and drives fine. first fuel filter change was at 7700 miles and the second ones due now at 20k. no, the DIC isn't saying it's due; I just do it every 2 years regardless.

with the stuff I've read i'm contemplating selling the truck and avoiding any trouble financially....is it really that big of an issues with these?
Using fuel additive can help.
Also, adding a lift pump to stabilize fuel pressure and eliminate the possibility of fuel cavitation to the cp4 will help as well.
The stock Duramax does not have a lift pump and relies on the cp4 to pull fuel.
The lift pump ensures a constant feed for the pump and helps lessen the chance of failure.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Summer+ Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:

I'm going to boil this down into one liners:

The lawsuit will go nowhere.

The stories you hear about CP4 failures and associated costs are mostly true.

Most failures are attributed to poor fuel quality be it air, dirt, water, lack of lubricity or a combination of these.

The frequency of failure is in reality quite low and you can reduce them even further by improving fuel quality and supply issues.

Improving the fuel system is every bit as necessary, stock, modified, CP4 or CP3 so do it now or do it later it needs to be done.

A pre-emptive CP3 conversion pushes close to 50% of the cost of fixing a down truck.

Low frequency of failure, high cost of pre-emptive makes it a poor investment in my opinion.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Duratys
Diesel Superstar

Send a message via MSN to Duratys

Quote:
(use to add 2 stroke oil in my lb7 but can't do that on my lml as I still have the emissions intact in my exhaust

I ran 2 stroke in my LML with emissions intact with no issues.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
VipeRTBlck
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duratys View Post
I ran 2 stroke in my LML with emissions intact with no issues.

really? that's good to hear. did you have more frequent regens? I could deffinetly tell a difference in idle with my lb7, helped a ton. always felt leary of doing it with the '16 though...with it's space shuttle exhaust underneath..

Old 01-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
VipeRTBlck
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
I'm going to boil this down into one liners:

The lawsuit will go nowhere.

The stories you hear about CP4 failures and associated costs are mostly true.

Most failures are attributed to poor fuel quality be it air, dirt, water, lack of lubricity or a combination of these.

The frequency of failure is in reality quite low and you can reduce them even further by improving fuel quality and supply issues.

Improving the fuel system is every bit as necessary, stock, modified, CP4 or CP3 so do it now or do it later it needs to be done.

A pre-emptive CP3 conversion pushes close to 50% of the cost of fixing a down truck.

Low frequency of failure, high cost of pre-emptive makes it a poor investment in my opinion.

thanks. the lift pump was a first thought, but then i'm at risk for them to deny any kind of warranty claim...I've been around modified trucks for every truck I've had; this LML is the first bone stock one, haven't touched a thing. new trucks are expensive and I bought the extended warranty for extra protection; the last thing i'd wanna do is make any kind of alterations that may void it.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Duratys
Diesel Superstar

Send a message via MSN to Duratys

Quote:
really? that's good to hear. did you have more frequent regens? I could deffinetly tell a difference in idle with my lb7, helped a ton. always felt leary of doing it with the '16 though...with it's space shuttle exhaust underneath..

Nope never noticed any frequent regen issues. Trucks main job though was for towing...hardly ever drove it unloaded. Id add a quart every time I filled up. Didn't matter if I filled up with a quarter tank or from empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in