Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   cp4 problem (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/981078-cp4-problem.html)

VipeRTBlck 01-03-2020 07:32 AM

cp4 problem

red the stuff online and seen places trying to make a lawsuit over the cp4 failures on these lml's. my question is, how much should I worry over this? from briefly reading, the pumps are designed for European fuel which has more lubrication properties than US fuel. i'lll frequently add powerservice to my tank as it has a lubricator (use to add 2 stroke oil in my lb7 but can't do that on my lml as I still have the emissions intact in my exhaust). aside from that the truck is 100% bone stock for warranty reasons. I bought an aftermarket (non-gm) extended warranty from a company called AUL that was offered and supplied by the dealer at time of purchase on the truck. I've read horror stories of the prices it costs when the pump fails. truck's a '16 with 20k on it. runs and drives fine. first fuel filter change was at 7700 miles and the second ones due now at 20k. no, the DIC isn't saying it's due; I just do it every 2 years regardless.

with the stuff I've read i'm contemplating selling the truck and avoiding any trouble financially....is it really that big of an issues with these?

OkDually 01-03-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VipeRTBlck (Post 9869920)
red the stuff online and seen places trying to make a lawsuit over the cp4 failures on these lml's. my question is, how much should I worry over this? from briefly reading, the pumps are designed for European fuel which has more lubrication properties than US fuel. i'lll frequently add powerservice to my tank as it has a lubricator (use to add 2 stroke oil in my lb7 but can't do that on my lml as I still have the emissions intact in my exhaust). aside from that the truck is 100% bone stock for warranty reasons. I bought an aftermarket (non-gm) extended warranty from a company called AUL that was offered and supplied by the dealer at time of purchase on the truck. I've read horror stories of the prices it costs when the pump fails. truck's a '16 with 20k on it. runs and drives fine. first fuel filter change was at 7700 miles and the second ones due now at 20k. no, the DIC isn't saying it's due; I just do it every 2 years regardless.

with the stuff I've read i'm contemplating selling the truck and avoiding any trouble financially....is it really that big of an issues with these?

Using fuel additive can help.
Also, adding a lift pump to stabilize fuel pressure and eliminate the possibility of fuel cavitation to the cp4 will help as well.
The stock Duramax does not have a lift pump and relies on the cp4 to pull fuel.
The lift pump ensures a constant feed for the pump and helps lessen the chance of failure.

Kennedy 01-03-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

I'm going to boil this down into one liners:

The lawsuit will go nowhere.

The stories you hear about CP4 failures and associated costs are mostly true.

Most failures are attributed to poor fuel quality be it air, dirt, water, lack of lubricity or a combination of these.

The frequency of failure is in reality quite low and you can reduce them even further by improving fuel quality and supply issues.

Improving the fuel system is every bit as necessary, stock, modified, CP4 or CP3 so do it now or do it later it needs to be done.

A pre-emptive CP3 conversion pushes close to 50% of the cost of fixing a down truck.

Low frequency of failure, high cost of pre-emptive makes it a poor investment in my opinion.

Duratys 01-03-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

(use to add 2 stroke oil in my lb7 but can't do that on my lml as I still have the emissions intact in my exhaust

I ran 2 stroke in my LML with emissions intact with no issues.

VipeRTBlck 01-03-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duratys (Post 9869986)
I ran 2 stroke in my LML with emissions intact with no issues.

really? that's good to hear. did you have more frequent regens? I could deffinetly tell a difference in idle with my lb7, helped a ton. always felt leary of doing it with the '16 though...with it's space shuttle exhaust underneath..

VipeRTBlck 01-03-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennedy (Post 9869972)
I'm going to boil this down into one liners:

The lawsuit will go nowhere.

The stories you hear about CP4 failures and associated costs are mostly true.

Most failures are attributed to poor fuel quality be it air, dirt, water, lack of lubricity or a combination of these.

The frequency of failure is in reality quite low and you can reduce them even further by improving fuel quality and supply issues.

Improving the fuel system is every bit as necessary, stock, modified, CP4 or CP3 so do it now or do it later it needs to be done.

A pre-emptive CP3 conversion pushes close to 50% of the cost of fixing a down truck.

Low frequency of failure, high cost of pre-emptive makes it a poor investment in my opinion.

thanks. the lift pump was a first thought, but then i'm at risk for them to deny any kind of warranty claim...I've been around modified trucks for every truck I've had; this LML is the first bone stock one, haven't touched a thing. new trucks are expensive and I bought the extended warranty for extra protection; the last thing i'd wanna do is make any kind of alterations that may void it.

Duratys 01-06-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VipeRTBlck (Post 9869988)
really? that's good to hear. did you have more frequent regens? I could deffinetly tell a difference in idle with my lb7, helped a ton. always felt leary of doing it with the '16 though...with it's space shuttle exhaust underneath..

Nope never noticed any frequent regen issues. Trucks main job though was for towing...hardly ever drove it unloaded. Id add a quart every time I filled up. Didn't matter if I filled up with a quarter tank or from empty.