Question: Low Exhaust Fluid Range Message - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
danag
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Low Exhaust Fluid Range Message

On a recent long trip from Michigan I got a message on my 2011 Chev HD2500 Duramax that said "exhaust fluid range: 101 mi" . No other warnings or lights. I immediately refilled at my next pitstop but the message never cleared.

I was concerned about getting back home so I took it to a GM dealer in TX and they replaced the reservoir in the tank and said they did a regen. This is the second time this reservoir has been changed, this time cost me $900 since the fix warranty had expired. This message immediately came back and continues on every engine start since. I called the dealer while driving home since was concerned about getting standed - they said just wait for a regen on the road. I know it's regen'd because I've topped off the fluid a couple times.

Well, over 3000 miles later and a lot of highway miles for regens, the message is still there on every engine start and still no other lights or warnings. Sometimes the miles number changes a little, but always there. I know the fluid tank is full because I still top it off frequently.

Any ideas out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I would suspect a faulty sensor.
I would take it back to the Dealer and let them sort it out

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
danag
Gear Grinder

Ok, thanks. That was in the works but wanted to educate myself a bit before going in. I surely don't want another $900 bill for nothing. All those DEF and EGR delete things are starting to look better.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danag View Post
All those DEF and EGR delete things are starting to look better.
If you eventually go that route I would call and speak with:
John Kennedy @ Kennedy Diesel
Brent over at Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Tony at Dirty Hooker Diesel.. for options.
They are closest to you and could give you some great advice
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 12-31-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

Quote:
I know it's regen'd because I've topped off the fluid a couple times.

Well, over 3000 miles later and a lot of highway miles for regens, the message is still there on every engine start and still no other lights or warnings. Sometimes the miles number changes a little, but always there. I know the fluid tank is full because I still top it off frequently.

Any ideas out there?

FWIW, it uses fluid (with the def injector) whenever it's running, in proportion to the amount of fuel being burned.

During regen it injects extra diesel into the exhaust with the so called '9th injector'.

Perhaps you are topping it off too frequently -- and the pin sensors aren't able to detect that fluid is being added? IIRC, the 2011 manual suggests adding a minimum of 1 gallon of a time. I'd go a step further and at one 2.5 gallon jug at a time.

When I had my LML, bulk wasn't convenient. My truck at the 300 mile warning would not hold 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs (but most everyone else said theirs would).
Eventually I changed my habit and just added one 2.5 gallon jug at a time - instead of remembering to at the last bit from the 2nd jug after enough miles had been driven.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE

Last edited by redwngr; 12-31-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
danag
Gear Grinder

Thanks for that info. The first time the message appeared, I did just fill it with a 2.5gal jug. Not sure how low it actually was, but the message said approx 200 miles left. Then after the message not going away after several hundred miles, I filled again with part of a jug, until it spewed out the filler. Then quite a while later after maybe 1300 miles, I filled again just to see if was using any at all and it took about 2 gal of fluid. So generally, I do just as you do and only put a 2.5 gal just in each time.

Last edited by OkDually; 12-31-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: sig
Old Yesterday, 02:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Thanks for that info. The first time the message appeared, I did just fill it with a 2.5gal jug. Not sure how low it actually was, but the message said approx 200 miles left. Then after the message not going away after several hundred miles, I filled again with part of a jug, until it spewed out the filler. Then quite a while later after maybe 1300 miles, I filled again just to see if was using any at all and it took about 2 gal of fluid. So generally, I do just as you do and only put a 2.5 gal just in each time.
Do you have/know all the history on your truck?

The '11's had a recall (in the fall of '11, after the '12's were shipping) that was a programming update. One of the things it dealt with was the DEF level not resetting after a fill.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Are you past the 10year 120,000 special coverage for your 2011?
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; Yesterday at 10:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Ok, thanks. That was in the works but wanted to educate myself a bit before going in. I surely don't want another $900 bill for nothing. All those DEF and EGR delete things are starting to look better.
There was an extended policy bulletin for the DEF tank/heater assy that I just received. I believe it was for my for my 2016 and not my 2012, but I did not read it in detail. Pretty sure it related to the heater failing and could be specifically tied to that.

At any rate, the issues that you describe above can all be handled electronically with no parts added or removed FYI. Best part is no change in smell so you can still garage it without stinking up the joint.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Last edited by Kennedy; Yesterday at 10:54 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
danag
Gear Grinder

Thanks all for your feedback. I have not owned it since new, but since about 50k miles. It has 140k on it now. It's been to the GM dealer probably 3-4 times for DEF issues so I would hope they would have updated it. The last time was 3 years ago when they replaced the reservoir under warranty. About 2 months ago had a NOx sensor changed. Last month the dealer in TX replaced that reservoir again, this time at my cost. I'm taking it back to my local dealer next week but expect it will probably cost me again. I'll surely reach out to GM customer service after that but that's probably just kicking this dead horse.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in