How can an Exergy system saver protect your fuel system??? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Dmax Dually

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How can an Exergy system saver protect your fuel system???

I am the original owner of a 2012 3500HD and to help prevent a CP4 failure I installed a Fass Titanium series lift pump about a year or so ago and have been using Opti-Lube in my fuel. My final step is to replace my FPR1 with the Exergy System Saver in case of a failure. So I ordered it and received it the other day. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.
I was just reading thru my ATG DuraMax LML manual about how the fuel system works, how fuel flows thru the system and the various components before I do the job.
Well I come to find out that the FPR1, which is the one you replace with the system saver, is upstream of the pump. The wording in the ATG manual says:

"With a failed high pressure pump FPR1 is the best place to check for debris. But isn't FPR1 upstream of the pump? Yes but some of the low press fuel from the integrated suction pump is allowed into the pump cylinders through FPR1 and larger volume cycles inside of the pump to cool and lubricate internal components. Therefore, when you have a mechanical failure in the pump, the fuel eventually loops back and carries it up to get stuck in FPR1."

Maybe I'm not understanding the fuel flow thru the pump/system. Can a diesel tech who has experience and who acutally works on the DuraMax LML fuel system and CP4 pumps please explain to me how the system saver will protect the fuel system from debris if it is located up stream of the pump and the fuel has to circulate thru the system to loop back to get stuck in the system saver?

To me it seems that the debris would have to first flow thru the pump pistons, thru the pressure & return rails, to the injectors first to get back to the system saver.

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 12-21-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
I am the original owner of a 2012 3500HD and to help prevent a CP4 failure I installed a Fass Titanium series lift pump about a year or so ago and have been using Opti-Lube in my fuel. My final step is to replace my FPR1 with the Exergy System Saver in case of a failure. So I ordered it and received it the other day. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.
I was just reading thru my ATG DuraMax LML manual about how the fuel system works, how fuel flows thru the system and the various components before I do the job.
Well I come to find out that the FPR1, which is the one you replace with the system saver, is upstream of the pump. The wording in the ATG manual says:

"With a failed high pressure pump FPR1 is the best place to check for debris. But isn't FPR1 upstream of the pump? Yes but some of the low press fuel from the integrated suction pump is allowed into the pump cylinders through FPR1 and larger volume cycles inside of the pump to cool and lubricate internal components. Therefore, when you have a mechanical failure in the pump, the fuel eventually loops back and carries it up to get stuck in FPR1."

Maybe I'm not understanding the fuel flow thru the pump/system. Can a diesel tech who has experience and who acutally works on the DuraMax LML fuel system and CP4 pumps please explain to me how the system saver will protect the fuel system from debris if it is located up stream of the pump and the fuel has to circulate thru the system to loop back to get stuck in the system saver?

To me it seems that the debris would have to first flow thru the pump pistons, thru the pressure & return rails, to the injectors first to get back to the system saver.
Here is an informational video on the system saver:

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2019, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
Here is an informational video on the system saver:
WCFab - CP4 Fuel System Saver for LML Duramax - YouTube
I've seen that video before. That's how I learned about the system saver. I know how it works and what it's supposed to do.
The system saver is installed on the inlet side of the pump (FPR1). So how can the system saver stops debris from getting into the fuel system if it is installed on the inlet side of the pump before the high pressure pistons? The high pressure outlet side / pistons is what fails, which is pasted the system saver, sending the debris into the fuel system.

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 12-22-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Since I couldn't find an answer I emailed Exergy and asked them to explain it to me. Well I got a quick response from Randy Hawkema at Exergy Engineering. He explained how the fuel flows thru the CP4 pump and why the system saver will protect your fuel system in the event of catastrophic CP4 failure. He even included a video from Bosch that show how the fuel moves thru the CP4 pump.
I installed my system saver yesterday and after reading his explanation and watching the boch video I got my answer. I am confident that it will save my fuel system.
I have a Fass lift pump, I'm using Opti-Lube in my fuel and I now have the system saver installed. I've done all I can do to prevent a CP4 Failure.

I included Randy's email repsonce and bosch video below.
View the video in full screen to make it easier to see.

Thanks for the question. In an attempt to provide an answer please watch the following YouTube clip. It is a bit hard to follow, but Bosch is trying to illustrate the different circuits inside the pump by having the “glowing orb” pass through them one at a time.
You’ll notice that the circuit shown in the first 1 minute shows the fuel passing through the “cam case” of the pump before it goes through the screen on the inlet metering valve. Nearly all catastrophic failures occur in the “cam case” (we have not seen one that hasn’t) creating debris that is then pumped up to high pressure and delivered to the rest of the fuel system. By filtering out the debris before they get to the high pressure side of the system the probability of them surviving a pump failure is greatly increased.

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 12-24-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mikey52
Clutch

You are not necessarily preventing a cp4 failure. You are preventing that failure from contaminating the rest of the fuel system.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Hopfully the Fass lift pump and using Opti-lube will prevent a catastrophe failure due to water in the fuel or poor lubrication. But if it does happen the System save will save the rest of my fuel system..

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 12-24-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
BigMike8504
Diesel Technician
Formerly Mwy123

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Just curious, how hard was it to install?
2004 1500 Silverado 4.8 NV-3500 5-speed
1984 K10 350 4-bbl Th350 up 4 on 35x12.50
1991 C30 454 SM465
1983 K20 Suburban 6.2 700R4
Old 01-06-2020, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
tmougeotte
Diesel Head

Northern Nevada Coal Rollers Member

Did this install on my last summer and wasnt too bad. Pleanty of videos and write ups out there. Took about 1.5hrs. Read through some how to's and get the right tools and things will go smoothly.

SOLD (Was a great truck for 12yrs)
2002 Silverado 2500HD CC/LB 4x4 LT Package, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country AT2s, Billy 5100s Leveled out, Autometer boost and pyro in Trippin overhead mount, high idle mod, custom EFI by Bentley w/DSP2, MBRP 4in turbo back (cat lost on I80 somewhere), PPE Boost valve, AirDog, AFE intercooler tubes, Dominator II's from GoRhino and Softopper Shell from Softopper.com, Husky 16k for the 5er, Firestone bags with On-board Viair for the large loads.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Just installed mine last month. Get your self a T- handle torx set from Harbor Freight if you don't already have one. I was only able to remove one of the 2 bolts with a Torx socket and ratchet It was tight. Luckily I have a Harbor Freight up the block and I was able to buy them.
I unbolted the a/c compressor and the fuel pressure test port to get them out of the way. The part that turned out to be a PITA for me was reinstalling the serpentine belt. Getting it off was easy because the belt was holding the tensioner mid way so I didn't have to move it much to get the belt off. After the belt is removed the tensioner moves full travel. I had a hard time getting the right position on the tensioner pulley so I could have enough travel on it to install the belt. The breaker bar would come in contact with either the fan shroud support or some other component before I had enough travel to get the belt on.
Plus I have a Westin Grill guard and winch tray on the front so leaning over that and using one hand to move the tensioner and trying to get the belt on with the other.
My back and legs were aching for 3 day from leaning over the engine. After doing that I bought a Traxion Topside Creeper from Amazon.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in