Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   How can an Exergy system saver protect your fuel system??? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/980830-how-can-exergy-system-saver-protect-your-fuel-system.html)

Dmax Dually 12-21-2019 12:40 PM

How can an Exergy system saver protect your fuel system???

I am the original owner of a 2012 3500HD and to help prevent a CP4 failure I installed a Fass Titanium series lift pump about a year or so ago and have been using Opti-Lube in my fuel. My final step is to replace my FPR1 with the Exergy System Saver in case of a failure. So I ordered it and received it the other day. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.
I was just reading thru my ATG DuraMax LML manual about how the fuel system works, how fuel flows thru the system and the various components before I do the job.
Well I come to find out that the FPR1, which is the one you replace with the system saver, is upstream of the pump. The wording in the ATG manual says:

"With a failed high pressure pump FPR1 is the best place to check for debris. But isn't FPR1 upstream of the pump? Yes but some of the low press fuel from the integrated suction pump is allowed into the pump cylinders through FPR1 and larger volume cycles inside of the pump to cool and lubricate internal components. Therefore, when you have a mechanical failure in the pump, the fuel eventually loops back and carries it up to get stuck in FPR1."

Maybe I'm not understanding the fuel flow thru the pump/system. Can a diesel tech who has experience and who acutally works on the DuraMax LML fuel system and CP4 pumps please explain to me how the system saver will protect the fuel system from debris if it is located up stream of the pump and the fuel has to circulate thru the system to loop back to get stuck in the system saver? :confuzeld

To me it seems that the debris would have to first flow thru the pump pistons, thru the pressure & return rails, to the injectors first to get back to the system saver.

OkDually 12-21-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmax Dually (Post 9867774)
I am the original owner of a 2012 3500HD and to help prevent a CP4 failure I installed a Fass Titanium series lift pump about a year or so ago and have been using Opti-Lube in my fuel. My final step is to replace my FPR1 with the Exergy System Saver in case of a failure. So I ordered it and received it the other day. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.
I was just reading thru my ATG DuraMax LML manual about how the fuel system works, how fuel flows thru the system and the various components before I do the job.
Well I come to find out that the FPR1, which is the one you replace with the system saver, is upstream of the pump. The wording in the ATG manual says:

"With a failed high pressure pump FPR1 is the best place to check for debris. But isn't FPR1 upstream of the pump? Yes but some of the low press fuel from the integrated suction pump is allowed into the pump cylinders through FPR1 and larger volume cycles inside of the pump to cool and lubricate internal components. Therefore, when you have a mechanical failure in the pump, the fuel eventually loops back and carries it up to get stuck in FPR1."

Maybe I'm not understanding the fuel flow thru the pump/system. Can a diesel tech who has experience and who acutally works on the DuraMax LML fuel system and CP4 pumps please explain to me how the system saver will protect the fuel system from debris if it is located up stream of the pump and the fuel has to circulate thru the system to loop back to get stuck in the system saver? :confuzeld

To me it seems that the debris would have to first flow thru the pump pistons, thru the pressure & return rails, to the injectors first to get back to the system saver.

Here is an informational video on the system saver:

Dmax Dually 12-22-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkDually (Post 9867780)
Here is an informational video on the system saver:
WCFab - CP4 Fuel System Saver for LML Duramax - YouTube

I've seen that video before. That's how I learned about the system saver. I know how it works and what it's supposed to do.
The system saver is installed on the inlet side of the pump (FPR1). So how can the system saver stops debris from getting into the fuel system if it is installed on the inlet side of the pump before the high pressure pistons? The high pressure outlet side / pistons is what fails, which is pasted the system saver, sending the debris into the fuel system.

Dmax Dually 12-24-2019 01:44 AM

Since I couldn't find an answer I emailed Exergy and asked them to explain it to me. Well I got a quick response from Randy Hawkema at Exergy Engineering. He explained how the fuel flows thru the CP4 pump and why the system saver will protect your fuel system in the event of catastrophic CP4 failure. He even included a video from Bosch that show how the fuel moves thru the CP4 pump.
I installed my system saver yesterday and after reading his explanation and watching the boch video I got my answer. I am confident that it will save my fuel system.
I have a Fass lift pump, I'm using Opti-Lube in my fuel and I now have the system saver installed. I've done all I can do to prevent a CP4 Failure.

I included Randy's email repsonce and bosch video below.
View the video in full screen to make it easier to see.

Thanks for the question. In an attempt to provide an answer please watch the following YouTube clip. It is a bit hard to follow, but Bosch is trying to illustrate the different circuits inside the pump by having the “glowing orb” pass through them one at a time.
You’ll notice that the circuit shown in the first 1 minute shows the fuel passing through the “cam case” of the pump before it goes through the screen on the inlet metering valve. Nearly all catastrophic failures occur in the “cam case” (we have not seen one that hasn’t) creating debris that is then pumped up to high pressure and delivered to the rest of the fuel system. By filtering out the debris before they get to the high pressure side of the system the probability of them surviving a pump failure is greatly increased.

Mikey52 12-24-2019 01:48 PM

You are not necessarily preventing a cp4 failure. You are preventing that failure from contaminating the rest of the fuel system.

Dmax Dually 12-24-2019 05:08 PM

Hopfully the Fass lift pump and using Opti-lube will prevent a catastrophe failure due to water in the fuel or poor lubrication. But if it does happen the System save will save the rest of my fuel system..

BigMike8504 01-01-2020 10:55 PM

Just curious, how hard was it to install?

tmougeotte 01-06-2020 12:05 AM

Did this install on my last summer and wasnt too bad. Pleanty of videos and write ups out there. Took about 1.5hrs. Read through some how to's and get the right tools and things will go smoothly.

Dmax Dually 01-06-2020 01:30 AM

Just installed mine last month. Get your self a T- handle torx set from Harbor Freight if you don't already have one. I was only able to remove one of the 2 bolts with a Torx socket and ratchet It was tight. Luckily I have a Harbor Freight up the block and I was able to buy them.
I unbolted the a/c compressor and the fuel pressure test port to get them out of the way. The part that turned out to be a PITA for me was reinstalling the serpentine belt. Getting it off was easy because the belt was holding the tensioner mid way so I didn't have to move it much to get the belt off. After the belt is removed the tensioner moves full travel. I had a hard time getting the right position on the tensioner pulley so I could have enough travel on it to install the belt. The breaker bar would come in contact with either the fan shroud support or some other component before I had enough travel to get the belt on.:mad:
Plus I have a Westin Grill guard and winch tray on the front so leaning over that and using one hand to move the tensioner and trying to get the belt on with the other.
My back and legs were aching for 3 day from leaning over the engine. After doing that I bought a Traxion Topside Creeper from Amazon.