Need help with codes p0420 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Need help with codes p0420

P0420 three times, p220d, u029d, u029e, and p2610.

No mods and the truck still runs fine. I'm I'm the middle of a trip so any help as to what to look for. There is a permanent code but I have not tried to clear the others yet. I have a mode 6 scan tool but I dont know what is a normal reading for the nox sensor.

Help please???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

When you reach your destination I would visit a GM dealer for testing.

Permanent or “latched” DTCs are defined as a confirmed fault code that is stored in non-volatile memory and currently commands the MIL to illuminate.
-This DTC prevents a vehicle from passing a Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance programs (I/M) test by disconnecting the battery or with the scan tool to clear the code prior to inspection.
-Permanent or “latched” DTCs can NOT be cleared by disconnecting the battery or with the scan tool prior to inspection.
-Only the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) II system can erase a permanent fault code.
-The system must determine if the malfunction that caused the permanent fault code
to be stored is no longer present.

What is odd is your the only one in the LML section with P2610. It is caused by having the ignition on too long without the engine running during tuning.
Previous years this was a common code especially with the PPE tuner.

Definition of check engine code P220D:
Generic (Common for all car manufacturers):
Nitrogen oxides NOx sensor 2. bank 2 - supply voltage circuit malfunction.

The ECM uses two nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensors to control exhaust NOx levels.
-The NOx sensor measures the amount of NOx and oxygen in the exhaust system.
- NOx Sensor 1 is located at the outlet of the turbocharger. NOx Sensor 1 monitors engine-out NOx.
- NOx Sensor 2 is located in the canister between the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) and the diesel particulate filter (DPF). NOx Sensor 2 monitors NOx levels exiting the SCR.
-The ECM responds to changes in engine exhaust-out NOx levels.
-The ECM regulates the amount of DEF or reductant added by varying the reductant injector duty cycle.
NOx Sensor with Smart Module

Don’t know if you searched your codes. Just a few.
P0420
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ine-light.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ble-solve.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...wing-code.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...concerned.html
https://www.searchautoparts.com/moto...ology?page=0,1

Your U**** codes are communication code.
U029D Lost Communication With NOX Sensor A
U029E Lost Communication With NOX Sensor B

The SCR system reduces nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions by injecting a metered amount of DEF or reductant into the exhaust gas stream that enters the SCR catalyst.
-Within the SCR catalyst, the DEF reacts with the NOx to form nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor.
-Upstream and downstream NOx sensors provide the engine control module (ECM) with engine-out and tailpipe-out NOx levels.
-The ECM regulates the amount of DEF added by varying the reductant injector duty cycle in response to changes in engine-out NOx levels.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 11-20-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

Thank you for that information. Before I left for this trip, I did have a trailer light issue. I had turned the key to on, while taking care of a few bulbs. No check engine light at that time. The truck went through a regen just before I shut it off.The fumes were pretty strong driving on the highway. It never smelled that bad before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

After turning off the check engine light the only code that remained was the p0420. I drove 180 miles and shortly after pulling off of the interstate, the check engine light came on and service exhaust system see owners manual. Then 99 miles to 65mph limit came on the msg center. Still no loss of power or driveability. Reading the codes again came back with nox voltage codes for a and b sensor, and communication loss codes for nox sensors and b. The p0420 was not there. It is at the dealer now in Oshkosh. Service writer stated that they follow gm protocol and replaced one sensor at a time. He also stated that the dpf had to be replaced on his last costumers truck , and that I should suspect that will be my case.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

Well they indeed replaced nbr 2 nox sensor and indeed failed after just under 100 miles. Good thing I was able to dump the trailer and gear off before taking it back to the same service center in Oshkosh.
Same codes: u029d u029e p0420 p220b these are pending and permanent codes.
Have to fly home for work so we will see how it goes in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

How about a clogged def nozzle? This would make the regens useless. My son ran into this at the bus shop.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1wing View Post
How about a clogged def nozzle? This would make the regens useless. My son ran into this at the bus shop.
DEF is used whenever it is running.

For regen, LML adds diesel injected direct to the exhaust with the '9th' injector.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 11-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Have you replaced these yet?
GM Part No.:12671387 SENSOR, Fuel Tank Meter/Pump, SENSOR,NITROGEN OXIDE (POSITION 1)
GM Part No.:12671388 SENSOR, Fuel Tank Meter/Pump, SENSOR,NITROGEN OXIDE (POSITION 2)

Last edited by Rvn4me; 11-27-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

Nox sensor 2 has been replaced but the fault came back after 126 miles or so. Waiting to here back from the dealer.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
lost1wing
High Compression

You are correct. I read my sons note wrong. He mentioned the part is about $1000. I told him that during a regen, my avg fuel economy dropped to 8 mpg and when the regen finished, the avg fuel economy came up to 16 mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in