LML: Turbo noise when letting off throttle - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By theZman
  • 1 Post By holmestransfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
guyofthewest
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Turbo noise when letting off throttle

Post delete, I am really annoyed by the turbo noise when backing off the throttle.

It sounds like a raspy howl. I put on a 24" muffler and it brought it down by maybe 30%. Still sounds like a 747 when I'm pulling into a campground at 10 pm. No Bueno!

Anybody have an effective muffler or resonator solution?

Last edited by OkDually; Yesterday at 03:59 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
theZman
Low Boost

I love the sound personally, but it is loud after a delete. You might have to add a cat back on to quiet it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

Turbo noise when letting off throttle

They are loud with a full straight pipe on them. Play around with different muffler brands, as well as closer/further away from the turbo. Usually the closer to the turbo the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by holmestransfer; Yesterday at 04:05 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Today, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
dave-lly
Diesel Starter

My LLY was like that, sounded like a jet. After I installed the edge cs it went from that to a rumble. Then a year later I added the muffler and it was way better.
Unread Today, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

there is 3 basic sounds. Mine is fully deleted and 5 inch strait. LOVE the sound.

rumble/v8 idle, vanes on turbo are around 8%-20% shut so 80% open thus less turbo sound and more open V8

hiss idle is when the vanes on the turbo are closed down to around 80% and 20% open. this spools the turbo some and makes the exhaust hiss and the turbo wissle some

then there is the sound of the turbo being spooled slightly, and you let off the throttle, and it whooshes back as the vanes move across the ehxuast flow form you being somewhat on it and letting off.

the last is the sound I think your hating. but that's interesting because comeing from a gear head, I love hearing the trubo sounds.

2007 C6 Z06, 754RWHP (Heads & Cam 427, Procharger @ 7lbs+meth)

Last edited by mittens; Today at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in