Water In Fuel Message - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redwngr

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
captjack
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Water In Fuel Message

So a few months ago I got WIF on DIC. I Ignored it because it was intermittent & truck was running fine ect. I did drain the filter out of the WIF sensor, & got very little water if any. I spoke w/the dealer & when they found out I had 35k on filter its time to change anyway, I knew that but was holding out for 70k going to get all fluids changed ect. Well i did so $800 & got home thurs I backing up WIF message came on again...WTF correct? Spoke for SM @ Dlr (who i trust) & he wanted to look @, said sometimes there's wire problem to the sensor...$30 sounds about right, so I dropped it off again today only to get a call say my systems contaminated & they want to drop tank, drain, flush out fuel system replace FF again all for $900....WTF The SM was off today so I couldn't talk. Leaving on vacation in 1 day towing my 5th wheel, what should i do ???
Keep in mind I've already done 3 short trips of 200-300 miles & use the truck everyday for work.

2015 GMC Sierra 6.6 Crew Cab Short bed, all stock. 70k, 60 Gallon RDS external gravity feed fuel cell tow a 2019 Grand Design 5th wheel.

15 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab (LML) all stock for now. 60 gal RDS Aluminum Gravity feed fuel system. Towing a 34' 2019 Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel. Traded in '11 @ 103k to get new 100k warranty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Did I read this right that You were holding out for 70k for fuel filter change?
At 35k what was your fuel filter percentage % at? It should be close to 0%
If your truck is running fine I doubt your systems is contaminated.

Have you ever considered a different Dealer?

It sounds there just guessing and not testing.
If your fuel system is contaminated you would be getting change fuel filter message.
Your fuel filter percentage in the LML is determined by your vacuum filter switch.
GM Part :12641590 SWITCH, Computer Control Sensors SWITCH,ENGINE FUEL VACUUM(INCLUDES 40)(INCLUDES SEAL)(FILTER MINDER)
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/a...1&d=1422419155

Just unplug your WIF Sensor. It’s that simple.
You can do this also but most people get the plug if your WIF is cracked

Read the FAQ’s
https://www.merchant-automotive.com/...lack-2001.aspx

I’m sure someone will help you more and steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 07-23-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
captjack
Diesel Rookie

No I had changed filter with no messages back @ 35k ish, DIC said 40% then, when WIF message appeared I had 67k & planned to do a full service @ 70k. Sorry for the confusion but realized that after I posted & couldn't get back to edit.
15 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab (LML) all stock for now. 60 gal RDS Aluminum Gravity feed fuel system. Towing a 34' 2019 Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel. Traded in '11 @ 103k to get new 100k warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

FWIW, the diesel supplement recommended fuel filter change is the shortest of DIC recommendation OR 22,500 miles OR 2 years.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 08-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
captjack
Diesel Rookie

Just got back from PA last week & WIF message has not appeared since the last time it was @ the dealer. Truck seems to be running fine too. Soooo I guess I should ride it out. Your thoughts - suggestions ??
Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
David Jay
Heat Sink

Sounds like you got some marginal fuel. A couple of tankfuls rotated the impurities out of the system.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Change fuel filter at 15k best idea in most cases just like it's always been. We build a restriction/pressure gauge that you can use to verify condition. Add a lift pump now before you have issues down the road.

Restriction gauge: Kennedy Diesel

P.S. I will run 40-50k on the OE filter (first in line) BUT 99% of my fuel comes from my own barrel and is double filtered before it hits the tank.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Last edited by Kennedy; 12-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in