Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   Lack of power (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/976822-lack-power.html)

Rusty Scupper 06-24-2019 04:44 PM

Lack of power

Just got back from a 1200 mile trip thru MN and ND pulling a smaller living quarters horse trailer. Running 65MPH in tow/haul and wanted to pass someone but the "go pedal" was already to the floor. No room for more movement.

I thought the #12 boots were in the way or even the rubber mat I have on top of the carpeted mat was stopping movement. But that wasnt the case.

I had posted earlier that my 2016 just doesnt have the get up and go like my 2011. The response from the group was that it is "Turbo lag".

Anybody seen or heard of something like this.

redwngr 06-24-2019 05:28 PM

Boost leak at one of the connections between turbo, intercooler and intake?

Rusty Scupper 06-26-2019 08:51 AM

Thanks REDWNGER. I will get it in and see if they can find anything. (fyi...you were the first to respond on DEF issue I had on my 2011, thanks for your diligence on this board)

G2GBY 06-26-2019 09:55 PM

Last fuel filter change?
Air filter good?
Have you cleaned your MAF sensor?
Is your rail pressure getting up to 29,000 psi?
If you have time Google "duramax LML lack of power" lots to read

Rusty Scupper 06-27-2019 08:49 AM

Thanks G2GBY. here are answers to your questions:

Last fuel filter change? - just before the trip
Air filter good? - Didnt check. Only 15,xxx miles. Will do, thought my mechanic would have check.
Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? No, I will look into this.
Is your rail pressure getting up to 29,000 psi? My mechanic will have to look into this.

I will google lack of power and see what I come up with.

What is odd, is that I seem to have enough power from 0 mph to 60. (getting on the freeway), just don't have any after that. Seems like I am driving something with a governor on.

redwngr 06-27-2019 10:25 AM

I know you said you looked, but it still sounds like floor mats or pedal position.
Pedal mount loose?
If you have the adjustable ones they could be adjusted to the top for diagnosis.

Did you check the fuel filter %.
The symptom you are describing is exactly how my old LLY behaved when it needed a fuel filter. (fortunately on that one, they were easy to change on the side of the road)

Rusty Scupper 06-27-2019 10:31 AM

My 2011 had the adjustable pedals, 2016 doesn't. I didn't notice anything loose, but will dig into it with a flashlight to see if there is anything hampering it. Mats were pulled out of the way so that is ruled out.

fuel filter is at 95% - so good there.

I did some googling per g2gby and what I have found there is dirty MAP or bad EGR.

Without codes, I am thinking my chevy dealer is going to blow me off again. I mentioned it to them on my first oil change.

Thanks for everyones responses.

Ron Nielson 06-27-2019 11:11 AM

While you're cleaning the MAF sensor, also clean the MAP sensor. Same procedure, different sensor.