2015 Coolant Levels - LML - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By redwngr
  • 1 Post By redwngr
  • 1 Post By Rvn4me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
navybuff
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to navybuff

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Armed Forces Club Member

2015 Coolant Levels - LML

I know there has been a lot of discussion about coolant levels dropping etc., however the Duramax supplement is seriously lacking in explanation of the coolant tank itself. Here is my issue, the [large] side of the tank [fender] is almost empty and the overflow side is at the MIN line. I do not see a fill level indicator on the large side of the tank. When I add coolant to just above the MIN line, nothing happens to the other side even after a run, what am I missing? Could someone post pics of the normal levels of this tank and explain how the large side of the tank is filled..., I know this is basic stuff here, but I seem to be brain dead at this point....

New Ride:
2015 Silverado 2500HD Z71

"Molon labe"
Proposed 28th Amendment ~ "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States..."

Last edited by navybuff; 06-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

"The coolant surge tank is divided into two sides. The pressurized side
(engine side) should be completely full, while the non-pressurized side
(fender side) will be significantly lower, depending on the operating
temperature. "

If you overfill, it will do no harm to the truck -- but it will push some out the overflow.

"The vehicle must be on a level surface. When the engine is cold, the coolant level should be at or above the MIN mark".

The MAX line is 'above' the min line.

If I was topping it up, I'd be adding to, or just above, the MAX line rather than just above the MIN line.

Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE

Last edited by redwngr; 06-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
navybuff
Diesel Head

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
"The coolant surge tank is divided into two sides. The pressurized side
(engine side) should be completely full, while the non-pressurized side
(fender side) will be significantly lower, depending on the operating
temperature. "~
Thanks for the info, this is pretty much what the book says and I get that. My question was about the large side [fender] and the normal level of that side of the tank and how to add to that side. After looking closer I seen that you have to fill the tank to the rim of the filler hole to allow the fluid to overflow into the large side of the tank, a very slow process. I was curious of what the normal level of that side of the tank is.... My next thing will be, you guessed it, where is the coolant going and why do I have to add coolant.., EGR or HG, [no visible leaks] what a great choice for a $70,000 truck with 60K on it. My LBZ went 200k with no issues, should have thought twice about trading it in... Thanks again for the info... Warranty time...
New Ride:

"Molon labe"
Proposed 28th Amendment ~ "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

How fast did it go down?

Have you checked that hose clamps are tight?
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 06-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
navybuff
Diesel Head

Armed Forces Club Member

Yes, there is no signs anywhere of a leak. Really looked hard, put it on a friends rack and we both looked.

This is the first time I have noticed that the Fender side of the tank was almost empty. Also, I have a new cap coming today to try that first.

My Blackstone Labs oil reports indicate a rising Potassium trace amounts since it had 35,000 on the motor [was normal at 35k]. The normal Unit averages for this LML is 5, at 48k it was 9, at 55k it was 12 and at 63K it was 32. However the corresponding Sodium [another marker for a coolant leak] was not high, actually normal. TBN was 7.1 [normal with some additive left] Also, my top hose was not hard this morning. Got my fingers crossed here...
New Ride:

"Molon labe"

Last edited by navybuff; 06-13-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

The manual says to remove the cap on the coolant reservoir when the engine is cold. Add coolant until the level is at the Min line on the pressurized side of the tank. With the cap still removed start the engine and wait until the temp reaches 196 deg F.
Then slowly keep adding coolant. Once the first tank (the pressurized side) reaches the full/min line it will spill over into the non-pressuried side (second tank). Keep adding coolant untill the second tank is 1/3 full. Replaced the cap. Then check the level in the tanks in a day or so when the engine is cold to see if it changed.
If the coolant level is still low after having followed these steps twice, have the coolant system checked by a certified technician at the dealer for a possible leak.

Page 10-22 https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...sel-Manual.pdf

Last edited by Rvn4me; 06-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

The original factory coolant reservoir in my 2012 had a Max line and a Min line. I had to have the reservoir replaced a few years ago (under warrenty) because of a seam crack. They did away with the Max fill line on the new reservoir and it only has a Min line on it now.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in