Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   Dead batteries just replaced in December. Been charging for a week (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/975922-dead-batteries-just-replaced-december-been-charging-week.html)

APEXrtx 05-13-2019 06:11 PM

Dead batteries just replaced in December. Been charging for a week

I replaced my batteries in December of 2018. Went out a week ago to drive my truck and it was completely dead - not even enough juice to turn on lights/radio/etc. It had only been about 2-3 weeks since I last drove the truck. I put both batteries on tenders and here we are a week later and still totally dead. Any suggestions?

OkDually 05-13-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APEXrtx (Post 9819780)
I replaced my batteries in December of 2018. Went out a week ago to drive my truck and it was completely dead - not even enough juice to turn on lights/radio/etc. It had only been about 2-3 weeks since I last drove the truck. I put both batteries on tenders and here we are a week later and still totally dead. Any suggestions?

Inspect every inch of your battery cables down to the starter.
Have your ALT tested.

D_R_C 05-14-2019 02:07 AM

If you had someone else replace your batteries, like OkDually suggested check everything starting at the battery terminal cables positive and negative.I’ve had one shop that neglected to clean the cables, 3 months after both was replaced.
I was having the same issues.
It’s easy to loose trust with service people that don’t care by not doing a good job your paying for.
I’m back doing my own battery changing, having handles on the batteries makes the job a little easier.

Rambos_Ride 05-14-2019 04:01 AM

Dead as in... did you test at the battery terminals with a voltmeter or dead as in no lights no crank?

Deep cycle? Lead acid or AGM?

Side post connections have to be the worse design ever for maintaining good connections...freaking 2019 you think they could do better.

Iíve had batteries drain completely and never take a charge again.

Bought in 12/18? Take them out and have the place you bought them from load test and/or just warranty them out for new ones.

APEXrtx 05-14-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_R_C (Post 9819854)
If you had someone else replace your batteries, like OkDually suggested check everything starting at the battery terminal cables positive and negative.Iíve had one shop that neglected to clean the cables, 3 months after both was replaced.
I was having the same issues.
Itís easy to loose trust with service people that donít care by not doing a good job your paying for.
Iím back doing my own battery changing, having handles on the batteries makes the job a little easier.

I did them myself and made sure all the connections were good and clean.

APEXrtx 05-14-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride (Post 9819856)
Dead as in... did you test at the battery terminals with a voltmeter or dead as in no lights no crank?

Deep cycle? Lead acid or AGM?

Side post connections have to be the worse design ever for maintaining good connections...freaking 2019 you think they could do better.

Iíve had batteries drain completely and never take a charge again.

Bought in 12/18? Take them out and have the place you bought them from load test and/or just warranty them out for new ones.

Yes, tested at the terminals both dead. The are lead acid interstate batteries from Costco. I guess I'll have them load tested. Just seems really strange for them to both go bad in such a short period of time.

CntrlCalDmax 05-14-2019 02:48 PM

I suspect something in the truck is taking them down. Check for draw with truck shut down.

APEXrtx 05-14-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntrlCalDmax (Post 9819954)
I suspect something in the truck is taking them down. Check for draw with truck shut down.

Thanks for the reply. So, I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff but electrical I'm not so much... How would I check that? Is there an easy way to do it?

dmax3500 05-14-2019 07:41 PM

take them back,warrenty ''NOW''

Rambos_Ride 05-14-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax3500 (Post 9820014)
take them back,warrenty ''NOW''

Then diagnose, most certainly a draw of some type.

Iím not a fan of interstate batteries, never have been...brothers interstate battery blew up in his 5er recently...but if theyíre under warranty Iíd use it

You didnít mention or I missed it...imo you want to run deep cycle batteries.