DEF or DELETE - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
RonSh
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

No "tune" was done - I had expected a tune and a tuner as I researched it with diesel shops before as required. They did the delete and reprogrammed the ECU/ECM with a new program that eliminates all error codes for the removed components but allows it to operate and send codes out normally for everything else. The diagnostic plug in works as before. Not sure if that is considered updating a tune file - the mechanics definitely said it wasn't a tune just a ECU program update specifically for my vehicle addressing everything that was deleted.

The only added performance would be from not having all the pollution equipment onboard. I wasn't looking for extra performance although I think I probably got some, just reliability and no more headaches. I have calculated mileage manually and the numbers are accurate. Total cost wasn't bad - in the range of $2500 for DEF/DPF and an additional $1500 for delete and removal of the EGR vs just blocking it off for around $500.
I also understand that starting in 2018 or 2019, the ECU is of a new design that makes it impossible to do any deletes, at least this way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSh View Post
Not kidding my friend, you can do the math. In kilometres, max I was able to get prior was 700kms (or 435m) per tank till empty(that is indicated on the range printout). Today, right now I am showing 960km (or 596m) range - that is 37%. I have had it done for about a year and it has been consistent. That mileage is showing on the readout as 14.7km/100 liters or 16.0 mpg. That is unloaded. I carry a camper and the mileage obviously goes down but the % improvement remained consistent. No need to bs with the numbers, just providing input to the query.
Call it what you want but it has to be "tuned" in order to do a delete.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mikey52
Diesel Student

Ok just call it a recalibration. Most of the celís can be disabled by changing the value in the expected table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey52 View Post
Ok just call it a recalibration. Most of the celís can be disabled by changing the value in the expected table.
Which is, by definition, reprogramming or 'tuning', the data that was supplied by the manufacturer.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
chevykid
Diesel Newbie

Just a heads up, I know this is a bit old, but I just wanted to say, you could easily do this job yourself. I know that you stated your not a mechanic, but if you can turn a wrench, and unplug a electrical connector, it's well worth doing it, at least for me it was. I was able to get the heater for relatively cheap I believe? Maybe 2or300 I think, and was able to drop the def tank and replace the heater no problem. Now, my truck had actually gone into mileage countdown mode, so I had to spend another 160 for the dealer to basically reset the computer. But as long as you didnt have that on you dic, it should go away on its own.
Just a thought, an afternoon could save at least 500 bux.
- 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS454 (468ci : 450hp/500lb/ft)
- 1967 Chevrolet El Camino Custom 396 clone with 402 from a 72 heavy chevy (412ci: 400hp/450lb.ft)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

2011 was the first year for the DEF sys and Chevy had a lot of problems with it. Chevy did some changes to it in the 2012 model. I am the original owner of my 2012 and it now has 117,000 miles on it and, knock on wood, I haven't had one DEF issue with it. I live in FL and my DEF heater probally never has been turned on, except for maybe if the ECU tests it. I don't know if it makes a difference but since day one I've only used Peak Blue DEF fluid in the 2.5 gal containers. I have never once used truck stop DEF or any other DEF fluid.
I really love my dually and like everyone else I paid a pritty penny when I bought her and over the past 7 years have invested a lot of money in after market accessories and don't plan on getting rid of her.
I was going to delete after the warranty ran out but since I never had any issues I left it alone. Then the Government started going after and fining the companies that were making the delete kits and shops that were doing the deletes:

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/sp...t-dpf-deletes/

Plus I started think of the problems I would have if my State or county decided to start emissions testing. So I decided not to delete.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in