Question: Need help with trouble codes - DPF issues - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
IBF
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Need help with trouble codes - DPF issues

I've always had issues with my DPF system on my 2011 GMC Sierra Denali HD3500 Duramax Dually. I purchased this truck new back in 2010. Let just say I was tired of motor issues with my Ford F250 6.0 so I bought this dually.

When I reached 103,000 miles on my dually, it began having issues with the DPF system. Warranty work was done on the DPF system by GM. I currently have 189,xxx miles on my truck and it has been performing regens at every 200 miles. Typically it would perform 1 regen every 400 miles or so. Now my mpg is horrible at 9-10mpg on city and 12-13mpg on highway unloaded.

I used my Edge CTS monitor to read the OBDII trouble codes and I received the following list of codes:

-P0571 Brake switch

-P12B7 Unknown- I couldn't locate any information

-P0463 Low fuel gauge

-P242D EGT sensor Bank 1 Sensor 3

-P20EE Unknown- I couldn't locate any information
-P242B EGT circuit Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3 (is this correct?)

-P246F EGT sensor Bank 1 Sensor 4

-P113A EGT sensor 3-4 (is this correct?)

I haven't been able to locate any information on trouble codes 12B7, P20EE and is code P242B (is the above info correct). I tried using DTC tool on this website and no information available. I used google and no luck either.

Code P0463 Low fuel gauge, any idea what may cause this problem. The fuel gauge will be working well and then randomly the fuel gauge shows empty and the it goes back to working properly.

Do I need to replace EGT sensor for Bank 1 sensor 3 and Bank 1 sensor 4? If I need to replace, where exactly are they located at?

I'm under the impression that I will need to order the following parts

-Brake switch
-EGT sensor bank 1 sensor 3
-EGT sensor bank 1 sensor 4

Any help with this diagnosis will greatly help. I don't want to take my dually to the dealership because I need the extra $$$ to donate to the gas stations for diesel.

Last edited by OkDually; 03-07-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

P20EE is SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold bank1

P12B7 Cylinder 3 injection timing retarded

Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
IBF
Gear Grinder

Thanks redwngr for deciphering the trouble codes.

Is it possible that I may need to replace injector #3?

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
LBZjunkie
Diesel Apprentice

Been a while but I thought GM has an ECM update for the P20EE, then see if the temp sensors read normal cold engine key on, then see if they warm up with the truck running, then see how they react during a regen.
Primary/secondary fuel filter's, OE still in place
Firestone air bags
Pacbrake onboard air
EGR delete
Junk *** POS Duramileage tuner-WTF WAS I THINKING!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBF View Post
Is it possible that I may need to replace injector #3?
P12B7
https://obdii.pro/en/code/P12B7
You need to go to injector balance rates.
Fuel Injectors

Note: The injectors are a piezo type CR injector. Diagnosis is much different than the earlier generations.

The engine control module (ECM) supplies a high voltage supply circuit and a high voltage control circuit for each fuel injector. The injector high voltage supply circuit and the high voltage control circuit are both controlled by the ECM. The ECM energizes each fuel injector by grounding the control circuit and supplying each fuel injector with up to 250 V and 20 amps on the voltage supply circuit to activate the piezo type fuel injectors. This is controlled by boost capacitors in the ECM. During the 250 V boost phase the capacitor is used to charge the injector piezo stack allowing for injector opening. The injector is then held open with this high voltage. At the end of the injection event the ECM closes the injector by discharging the injector piezo stack.

The injectors are cooled by a calibrated amount of fuel flow through the injector body to the injector return lines. If the injectors are worn, damaged, or contaminated, the amount of fuel flowing through the injector body may increase, resulting in improper injector performance. The maximum allowable leakage for one injector is 3 ml in 15 seconds, cranking or at idle.
The injectors require a minimum of 3 BAR (45 psi) of pressure in the return system. Pressure is maintained via a “Constant Pressure Regulator” at 4-11 BAR (58-160 PSI).
Other Injector Notes
Balance Rates, when checked in Park or Neutral, should indicate bad injectors. Any injectors that are more than +4/-6.9 are a possible cause for rough run.
Miss, smoke or rough run usually indicate that the injectors are the cause. LML engines with a DPF may not show any smoke, but frequent DPF regen events would suggest poor combustion.
We have seen a couple of vehicles that do not have starting issues, but injector return is excessive at higher rail pressures which may cause the P0087 to set.
When replacing the injectors, the “Fuel Injector Correction Reset” must be done. If not, a P026D code may set.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 03-08-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
LMLJeepHauler
Gear Grinder

EGT sensor 3 & 4 are right before and after the DPF/SCR. I put emissions back on mine, someone elses exhaust, mine came deleted, smelly, and too loud. Ended up eventually replacing all the EGT and NOX sensors over two weeks.

I did have an issue this winter with water getting into the connector for EGT3 and freezing causing it not to work. I melted the ice and then sprayed some fluid film on the connection. I am assuming its you EGT though since you have codes for both of those. I only had a performance code for the 3-4.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in