LML: EGR delete killed the truck - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Warlock1
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

EGR delete killed the truck

Well maybe that is a bit to dramatic...lol but it did die.

I installed the Sinister EGR kit today and I ran into a couple of issues.
First one being adding water to the degas tank. Now everyone says to remove the bleeder bolt. Mine does not have a bolt it has a quick disconnect with a schrader valve in it. Which by the way is setting higher than the tank. So how is that supposed to bleed?

Secondly I started the truck for about 30 seconds to pull the water from the degas tank to the engine and I shut it off. I pressed in on the schrader valve to try and release some air. I got a small puff.

Restarted the truck and it ran for maybe a minute and died. Checked the prime and it is primed but still no start. I've called the tuner to ask if disconnecting the batteries would have killed the tune but I'm sure I'll have to wait until Monday morning.

Oh yeah, no CEL and no codes

So what is the dealio on the bleeder thing. Does all 2012 have the quick disconnect?

Blacked out headlights with LED conversions, Motorops DSP5 switch, 3" DP, 4" straight pipe, DPF and DEF removed, EGR removed and rerouted PCV, Silverline DP back with 5" turned out black stainless stacks. Future mods in order;Kennedy lift pump, Custom Stereo, BDS 6.5 lift, 20x10 MM 970GM with 35x12.50x20 Kumho's

Sold - Summit White HD 07 Classic CCSB Duramax with Allison, 10-12" Cognito lift, 20x10 KMC Diesels with 38x15.50 Kumho's, 4:56 Yukons, Edge Juice with Attitude, 6"turn out stacks, debadged, whited out, and Dominator II's. All mods done by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Warlock1
Diesel Apprentice

Tuner was no help as he said that it was running before the install of the EGR kit. I get that, but I did unhook the batteries for a couple of days.

I also cleaned the throttle valve due to the oil and gunk on it. So I did move the blade. I've searched but I can't find a definitive answer that says whether I need to do a relearn on it or not.

I so need a service manual...

Blacked out headlights with LED conversions, Motorops DSP5 switch, 3" DP, 4" straight pipe, DPF and DEF removed, EGR removed and rerouted PCV, Silverline DP back with 5" turned out black stainless stacks. Future mods in order;Kennedy lift pump, Custom Stereo, BDS 6.5 lift, 20x10 MM 970GM with 35x12.50x20 Kumho's

Sold - Summit White HD 07 Classic CCSB Duramax with Allison, 10-12" Cognito lift, 20x10 KMC Diesels with 38x15.50 Kumho's, 4:56 Yukons, Edge Juice with Attitude, 6"turn out stacks, debadged, whited out, and Dominator II's. All mods done by me.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Warlock1
Diesel Apprentice

So after calling the tuner, a diesel shop and finally Sinister I got an answer that seems to have worked. The guy from Sinister said that the throttle valve once tuned out can be removed with no effect. I found some threads that kept saying to disconnect 3 connectors when eliminating the EGR. for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the third one was until I found it buried in a thread. I disconnected the throttle valve and after a short crank it fired up and ran. I'll do some more checking tomorrow and finish burping the coolant and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Superstar

Thanks for following up. Hope that does it for you.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
rob1
Glow Plug

What you thought you were bleeding air from the cooling system was likely the suction side fuel system test port. If you played with it much there could jave been air in the system causing a hard start too. There’s no air bleed on the cooling system anymore, I always take trucks I’ve had the system open on for a good burn and let it sit till completely cool, then top up again, and never have had an issue.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Warlock1
Diesel Apprentice

rob1 that would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in