Question: Random loss of power no codes. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmax Dually
  • 1 Post By dmax3500

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
rocklefty19
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Random loss of power no codes.

2015 chevy 2500 100k miles DEF deleted and tuned to match, randomly will lose power and will smoke white and or black also picks up a noticeable difference in sound like a light fast ticking usually happens after a heavy load pull but has happened while cruising. Shutting the truck off most of the times fixes it instantly also can hold it on the floor and it will slowly accelerate until 2200 2400 rpm and will come on like a light switch and run like a scolded dog. No codes, no messages. Any advice would be much appreciated I've searched the forums with no luck.

Last edited by OkDually; 02-06-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Just a thought but sounds tuner related.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

I just purchased this LML training and trouble shooting manual. It's not cheap but to me well worth it for anyone wanting to work on and trouble shoot our LML's. It explains the Duramax evolution and generation. The manual is specifically for the LML and LGH engines. It explains how the systems work.It give in-depth test and symptom specific trouble shooting steps..
Here's the link to check it out:

https://www.aeswave.com/Duramax-Dura...sel-p9580.html
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklefty19 View Post
Shutting the truck off most of the times fixes it instantly also can hold it on the floor and it will slowly accelerate until 2200 2400 rpm and will come on like a light switch and run like a scolded dog.
Shutting your truck off then back on is a reset for limp mode.
Your truck isn’t feeling very well by your description.
There’s no correlation path that crosses between white & black smoke. These are two separate diagnoses for each.
There’s a lot that can be tested but I don’t know if you have the capability and or equipment.
Simplest is fuel/air filter. Do you have a lift pump? That’s a must for any tuning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydmax View Post
Just a thought but sounds tuner related.
^^^

Last edited by Rvn4me; 02-07-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
rocklefty19
Gear Grinder

I agree with the no correlation, but trust me I have watched it numerous times it may black smoke with no acceleration until the 2200-2400 rpm mark then take off while still black smoke coming out, other times it may white smoke and smell like a farm tractor then at said RPM mark turn to black and take off. I can hear when its going to act up as the im guessing injector noise changes to a slight ticking/humming sound then the symptoms start. Can be caused by a hard accel can appear randomly may not happen for weeks on end and may be cured with a cycle of the key but with no codes im in the dark and don't want to damage the truck.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

This is a paragraph out of the LML trouble shooting manual that I purchased and posted a link about. I know your truck is deleted but the info still might help. It points to bad aftermarket programming..

img_0003.jpg
Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
rocklefty19
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
Shutting your truck off then back on is a reset for limp mode.
Your truck isnít feeling very well by your description.
Thereís no correlation path that crosses between white & black smoke. These are two separate diagnoses for each.
Thereís a lot that can be tested but I donít know if you have the capability and or equipment.
Simplest is fuel/air filter. Do you have a lift pump? Thatís a must for any tuning.

^^^
But there is no pattern to it and if in limp mode why would it go back to normal even without cycling the key? Air filter new, Fuel filter new, lift pump has not been installed been shopping hoping that may be the cure but haven't purchased yet until I satisfied my doubts. Mechanically I'm capable as long as there isn't specific scan tools needed. Have recorded certain parameters already without seeing a smoking gun there is no recordable severe drop in fuel pressure, boost when acting up is non existent until the RPM range where it runs great.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
I just purchased this LML training and trouble shooting manual. It's not cheap but to me well worth it for anyone wanting to work on and trouble shoot our LML's. It explains the Duramax evolution and generation. The manual is specifically for the LML and LGH engines. It explains how the systems work.It give in-depth test and symptom specific trouble shooting steps..

good looking manual
Old 02-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post

I've got that manual and also taken a lot of ATG's training courses and they are PRO's. Awesome info in their manuals. Highly recommend. I think the issue is crappy programming. I had a LGH in a 2012 van that had been deleted with PPEI tuning and it had a similar issue. I told them to contact the tuner. Just my $.02

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Black & White smoke
https://www.injectorsdirect.com/does...ctor-problems/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in