Question: Coolant Issues - Under Warranty? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Coolant Issues - Under Warranty?

Low coolant message came on recently and there is a faint coolant smell. My '15 has just shy of 60K miles, anyone know whether potential coolant component repairs would fall under the 5yr 100K mile powertrain warranty?

Last edited by OkDually; 01-19-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Depending where the leak is witch your not giving.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
Depending where the leak is witch your not giving.
Not 100%, looked for leak but so far not obvious. Smell is definitely coming from coolant tank area, maybe the tank has a hairline crack.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkyboy View Post
Not 100%, looked for leak but so far not obvious. Smell is definitely coming from coolant tank area, maybe the tank has a hairline crack.
GM Part : 23106015 TANK, Engine Coolant Recovery
TANK,RADIATOR SURGE(INCLUDES LEVEL SENSOR; USE TOGETHER WITH MATING CONNECT 13586114) $133.76
Old 01-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

Any idea whether the surge tank would be covered under the powertrain warranty?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Any idea whether the surge tank would be covered under the powertrain warranty?
I wouldn’t replace surge tank until varifed.
Evidently you don’t have the warranty books that came with the vehicle.
People must think there weight is gold.

The Powertrain Warranty covers repairs due to defects in materials and/or workmanship for components listed below:
ENGINE
All internally lubricated parts, engine oil, cooling hoses and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 01-22-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRex
Block Heater

I had a pinhole leak (soldering issue) on my 16 that was on the bottom of the radiator under the mounting bracket. It took them a full week to find, but they fixed it 100% under warranty.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
jerkyboy
Diesel Apprentice

Dug out my warranty info, Rvn you are spot on. I couldn't find the leak coming from the radiator or hoses so I took it to the dealer hoping it was a warranty issue. Took them two days and they finally found it...a seal in front of the flywheel, said they have yet to see it. They'll have to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it. I'm definitely not happy but glad it's still under warranty. My '02 never had any issues other than the the injectors. So far (on my '15), I've had my oil pan leak, def heater fail, and now this.

Anyone else have a similar seal failure?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Took them two days and they finally found it...a seal in front of the flywheel, said they have yet to see it. They'll have to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it.Anyone else have a similar seal failure?
Been on here since 2003 and never seen a coolant leak where you had to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it.
Post the part # of the seal when fixed.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-26-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

For those that don't have a paper one or would prefer the electronic one, the Warranty guides can be downloaded from GM's site.

Same booklet for gas, dmax and hybrid vehicles, but coverages are different.
If looking at the booklet, be sure to be in the correct sections. Since some stuff is same, but others depend on powertrain type, they are kinda blended together rather completely separate sections.

Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in