Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   Question: Coolant Issues - Under Warranty? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/973028-coolant-issues-under-warranty.html)

jerkyboy 01-19-2019 12:20 AM

Coolant Issues - Under Warranty?

Low coolant message came on recently and there is a faint coolant smell. My '15 has just shy of 60K miles, anyone know whether potential coolant component repairs would fall under the 5yr 100K mile powertrain warranty?

Rvn4me 01-20-2019 07:00 AM

Depending where the leak is witch your not giving.

jerkyboy 01-20-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rvn4me (Post 9789172)
Depending where the leak is witch your not giving.

Not 100%, looked for leak but so far not obvious. Smell is definitely coming from coolant tank area, maybe the tank has a hairline crack.

Rvn4me 01-21-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkyboy (Post 9789456)
Not 100%, looked for leak but so far not obvious. Smell is definitely coming from coolant tank area, maybe the tank has a hairline crack.

GM Part : 23106015 TANK, Engine Coolant Recovery
TANK,RADIATOR SURGE(INCLUDES LEVEL SENSOR; USE TOGETHER WITH MATING CONNECT 13586114) $133.76

jerkyboy 01-21-2019 10:12 AM

Any idea whether the surge tank would be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Rvn4me 01-22-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkyboy (Post 9789526)
Any idea whether the surge tank would be covered under the powertrain warranty?

I wouldn’t replace surge tank until varifed.
Evidently you don’t have the warranty books that came with the vehicle.
People must think there weight is gold.

The Powertrain Warranty covers repairs due to defects in materials and/or workmanship for components listed below:
ENGINE
All internally lubricated parts, engine oil, cooling hoses and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

SRex 01-24-2019 09:10 AM

I had a pinhole leak (soldering issue) on my 16 that was on the bottom of the radiator under the mounting bracket. It took them a full week to find, but they fixed it 100% under warranty.

jerkyboy 01-26-2019 12:52 AM

Dug out my warranty info, Rvn you are spot on. I couldn't find the leak coming from the radiator or hoses so I took it to the dealer hoping it was a warranty issue. Took them two days and they finally found it...a seal in front of the flywheel, said they have yet to see it. They'll have to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it. I'm definitely not happy but glad it's still under warranty. My '02 never had any issues other than the the injectors. So far (on my '15), I've had my oil pan leak, def heater fail, and now this.

Anyone else have a similar seal failure?

G2GBY 01-26-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkyboy (Post 9791530)
Took them two days and they finally found it...a seal in front of the flywheel, said they have yet to see it. They'll have to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it.Anyone else have a similar seal failure?

Been on here since 2003 and never seen a coolant leak where you had to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it.
Post the part # of the seal when fixed.

redwngr 01-26-2019 11:08 AM

For those that don't have a paper one or would prefer the electronic one, the Warranty guides can be downloaded from GM's site.

Same booklet for gas, dmax and hybrid vehicles, but coverages are different.
If looking at the booklet, be sure to be in the correct sections. Since some stuff is same, but others depend on powertrain type, they are kinda blended together rather completely separate sections.

jerkyboy 01-26-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G2GBY (Post 9791566)
Been on here since 2003 and never seen a coolant leak where you had to pull the tranny and flywheel to get at it.
Post the part # of the seal when fixed.

will do

jerkyboy 02-18-2019 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Changed my oil last week, here's the leak, definitely coming from the back of the engine. Dropped it off at the dealer today and met with the mechanic who's going to do the repair. He's a 30 year vet and told me he has seen it before but it's not common, said there's a plate on the back of the engine and that sometimes the gasket between the plate and the engine goes bad. I'll post again when I get it back.

Rvn4me 02-19-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkyboy (Post 9799534)
Changed my oil last week, here's the leak, definitely coming from the back of the engine. Dropped it off at the dealer today and met with the mechanic who's going to do the repair. He's a 30 year vet and told me he has seen it before but it's not common, said there's a plate on the back of the engine and that sometimes the gasket between the plate and the engine goes bad. I'll post again when I get it back.

So it’s your engine oil cooler has a leak
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ed-please.html
GM Part : 12649227 COOLER, Engine Oil Cooler, COOLER,ENGINE OIL(INCLUDES 411-414,416-423,428,430,463) $274.69

It’s probably this
GM Part :97192667
GASKET, ENGINE OIL COOLER ADAPTER(ADAPTER TO BLOCK)(FLYWHEEL HOUSING SIDE)(1.550)
$3.38

SAYWHAT 02-20-2019 08:19 AM

I believe there is a plate below the heads, upper block area with a coolant passage in it. Maybe it allows cross flow of coolant from left bank of cylinders to right bank.

jerkyboy 03-10-2019 01:35 PM

Three weeks at the dealer...still waiting for parts, does this make sense? I'll call again tomorrow, hopefully will get some good news, extremely frustrating!!

Rvn4me 03-10-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkyboy (Post 9804924)
Three weeks at the dealer...still waiting for parts, does this make sense?

Some dealers just have a hard time acquiring parts.
I pick up my own parts at cost from three different distribution centers in MI. so It’s only 4 hr round trip from home. If I don’t want to drive it’s usually same day if ordered by noon or it’s next day. Never had to wait more than one day for a part.
Just curious what the Part numbers there having trouble getting.

jerkyboy 03-10-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rvn4me (Post 9804952)
Just curious what the Part numbers there having trouble getting.

No idea, will post the invoice when I get it back.

willydmax 03-11-2019 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of a LLY that I replaced in a 4500. Had to swap the rear engine adapter from the pickup version to the 4500. You can see the crossover ports that run through the rear adapter cover. They have the orange o-rings in them. Maybe that is where it's leaking?

jerkyboy 03-24-2019 12:54 AM

Over a month, still at the dealer; got the leak fixed and discovered another up top (didn't elaborate). Then they called me and asked if my service four wheel drive light had ever been on, which it hadn't...fixed that too. Called again and asked if my batteries were dying, which they did back in November. I replaced them and haven't had an issue since. They're no claiming there's a parasitic draw that's causing the batteries to die and blamed it on a short in my plow controls. How would a short cause a parasitic draw, wouldn't a short blow the fuse? I'm thinking about reaching out to GM and requesting an extended warranty, seems like way too many problems for a '15 that I purchased new with 50k miles. My '02 was bullet proof with the exception of the injectors.

jerkyboy 03-29-2019 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my truck back a couple days ago, so far so good. Attached the list of parts replaced.