Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   Recommendations (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/973012-recommendations.html)

Mark4310 01-18-2019 03:25 PM

Recommendations

I looking for recommendations for my LML. I know it’s kind of a loaded question. But I just want to know what I can do to keep it running?

It has 70,xxx miles and completely stock. I bought it with 66,xxx. Haven’t done the first oil change yet.

What
oil/filters do you suggest
Def fluid

I read there is a external filter on the trans that needs changed every other oil change. Is there any truth to that?

I’m considering deletes. Not sure when yet. I have a extended warranty I’m thinking about keeping intact.

Any regular maintenance I should go at this point.

Currently the truck’s only job is to pull my 5th wheel around for work. (Haven’t has to move it in a few years tho) And take me where I need to go.

Since I’ve owned it. I always let it warm up for 10/15 mins before taking off.

Truck is a 2014 3500HD CC SB SRW. Idk how to put the in my signature yet.

BanksLB7Duramax 01-18-2019 03:44 PM

Use any diesel oil you want, they all do the same thing, same with DEF fluid, it doesn't matter.

Changing external filter every other oil change is completely unnecessary, the same goes for letting it warm up for 10-15 minutes, you're just wasting fuel.

The best thing to do is work the truck hard and it will treat you right.

Mark4310 01-18-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanksLB7Duramax (Post 9788738)
Use any diesel oil you want, they all do the same thing, same with DEF fluid, it doesn't matter.

Changing external filter every other oil change is completely unnecessary, the same goes for letting it warm up for 10-15 minutes, you're just wasting fuel.

The best thing to do is work the truck hard and it will treat you right.

I don’t really work any truck hard until I hook it up to the 5th wheel. My last truck I averaged less than 10,000 miles a year. And that’s letting my wife drive it for 6 months or so after giving her car to the daughter and waiting to find want she wanted. My company provides a truck for work so I only drive my truck in the weekends.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll take all the info I can get!

SyntheticAlex 01-18-2019 04:14 PM

Mark, welcome! Very nice truck and rare these days!
We are a AMSOIL dealer and they carry a full line of fluids that benefit your truck!
The best thing you can do for your truck is to be aware of the potential problems with these years! one being the DEF system, as well as the cp4 catastrophic failure.
The cp4 will wipe out youre whole injection system costing you thousands, one way to prevent this is with a low pressure fuel pump, the exergy cp4 saver and the ultimate fix is the cp3 conversion! Transmission service is every 50k miles for us, filter change every 25k. service includes fluids flush and filter change. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask!

syntheticmotorsports.com

LBZjunkie 01-19-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark4310 (Post 9788744)
I donít really work any truck hard until I hook it up to the 5th wheel. My last truck I averaged less than 10,000 miles a year. And thatís letting my wife drive it for 6 months or so after giving her car to the daughter and waiting to find want she wanted. My company provides a truck for work so I only drive my truck in the weekends.

Thanks for your reply. Iíll take all the info I can get!

Should've bought a gasser. You'll most likely run into DEF issues at that rate, I wouldn't fill it, just a gallon or two every now and then, it's got a shelf life. As stated above diesels need to work, the harder the better, the more the often the better, just my $.02 worth.

oldschoolbowtie 01-19-2019 09:44 AM

Congrats on truck

I have learned the following on Diesel Trucks

1-Educate yourself from the site and the manufactures websites. I get my answers about Allison transmissions from there website. It is full of good info.

2-Its your investment (the truck) learn what a replacement trans and motor cost and use that to help understand the importance of routine maintenance and get some tools and do it yourself. (unless you have a large pile of cash and just want to spend it)

as far as questions go:

What
oil/filters do you suggest any of the oils are good I run Rotella non synthetic and a quality filter (moble-1, Napa Gold, K&N, Baldwin you pick)
Def fluid no input

I read there is a external filter on the trans that needs changed every other oil change. Is there any truth to that? go to Allison website, they say yes depending on how often and what you tow. They are cheap and easy to replace (don't loose the magnet that's in the top of filter as you must re-use it) I do every 25K

I’m considering deletes. Not sure when yet. I have a extended warranty I’m thinking about keeping intact. Put a lot of thought and research into that. Wait till warranty expires

Any regular maintenance I should go at this point. When I brought mine home I changed all the lubricants, brake fluid, trans fluid and PS fluid I would do the transfer case for sure That way you know whats in truck and last time it was done

Currently the truck’s only job is to pull my 5th wheel around for work. (Haven’t has to move it in a few years tho) And take me where I need to go.

Since I’ve owned it. I always let it warm up for 10/15 mins before taking off.
That is not required and not good for DPF, if its cold (ambient <32F) let it run a for a few minutes and go

Good Luck and remember educate yourself from facts

Not the opinions of armchair diesel experts like me:confuzeld:D:2cents::2cents:

congrats again on truck

Don't let people "scare you into spending a ton of money" to prevent something that may or may not happen
educate yourself and don't get strong armed into anything LML is a good platform

redwngr 01-19-2019 10:32 AM

10,000 miles is easily enough to keep the DEF fresh.

Since it tows, it will likely average less than 1000 miles per def gallon over the year. At predicted miles per year, it will need 10 gallons or two fills per year
Shelf life usually talked about is 2 years.

DEF use is a % of fuel used. When it tows it will use more fuel, therefore more def.
Since this truck will be towing, I probably should have used a higher consumption rate in the example.

ktmrfs 01-19-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwngr (Post 9788948)
10,000 miles is easily enough to keep the DEF fresh.

Since it tows, it will likely average less than 1000 miles per def gallon over the year. At predicted miles per year, it will need 10 gallons or two fills per year
Shelf life usually talked about is 2 years.

DEF use is a % of fuel used. When it tows it will use more fuel, therefore more def.
Since this truck will be towing, I probably should have used a higher consumption rate in the example.

as mentioned DEF use is a % of fuel used. Figure on about a 1% ratio. That is for every 100 gallons of fuel roughly 1 gallon of DEF. It could vary from about 1 gallon/80 gallons to 1 gallon/120 gallons but somewhere in that range.

So if your towing in 10K miles you'll use around 1000 gallons of fuel and 10 gallons of DEF.

What I do is when the DIC says DEF level 30%, I dump in a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. Yes, it will take more but I don't need to worry about overfilling and making a mess and 2.5 gallons is 1 jug of DEF. none left over.

As far as other maintenance base on mileage

1) do a transmission drain/fill. I'd recomend using transynd, Here NAPA carries BP Transynd at a reasonable price
2) change the external transmission filter at the same time and change every 25K miles or so, not necessary every other oil change
3) drain/flush the coolant
4) change the fuel filter
5) drain the rear axles and fill with the factory "grape juice"
6) flush the brake system with DOT4 fluid. factory is DOT3
7) drain/fill the transfer case and front axle
8) oil change with GM filter. Use whatever oil you want that meets the spec's. Rotella T5/T6/ Delo and others are commonly used
9) change oil based on the DIC display as it gets near zero. My experience based on oil analysis is that the DIC is very conservative. you could easily go much much longer.

Now you have a record of a full service and can monitor on your own

and finally DON'T LET IT IDLE FOR 15 MINUTES!. fire it up and maybe give it 30 seconds before driving off. the only time to let it idle is when it is below freezing and you want a warm cab, or in the heat of summer and you want a cool cab. And even then 5 minutes is about all that you need.

Go into the information display settings and set the seat heater/cooler to come on with remote start, set remote start to enable high idle for warm up when cold.

Mark4310 01-19-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBZjunkie (Post 9788914)
Should've bought a gasser. You'll most likely run into DEF issues at that rate, I wouldn't fill it, just a gallon or two every now and then, it's got a shelf life. As stated above diesels need to work, the harder the better, the more the often the better, just my $.02 worth.

I had a gasser. Trailer was to much for it. I actually back into a spot with the 5th and the gasser wouldn’t push it back all the way.
I have the extended warranty. Once it runs out or the def system gives me issues I’ll delete it.
Full delete is what I suspect I’ll end up doing. If/when issues come up I’ll probably keep all the parts when I do delete Incase I have to put them back on in the future.

ctdmax 01-19-2019 09:47 PM

I have 29000 on my 2016 and had zero issues with def...I have towed nothing with it for almost 2 years..I also let it warm up for at least 10 minutes.It also is used as a grocery getter more often than not and still goes well over 500 miles between regen’s..Enjoy your truck!