Question: Avoiding DEF Problems - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGNEKS View Post
I love my 2106 gmc, but itís gonna be hard to resist the 2020 with a 10 speed tranny.
Why would you want a 2020 when you already have a 2106???

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rusty Scupper
Diesel Starter

Pet Truck - that parts list is pretty impressive. I have not heard of anybody that has experienced that many problems. I wonder if they were "throwing parts" at it and because you don't drive that much it would just rear it's head again later on. When I originally read your thread I thought it was a "poor DEF" problem.

My 2016 has the 6.5' bed. I have been pulling goosenecks with the shorter bed for 15years and never have a problem. I usually have a 85 gallon water tank in the front of the bed, the 8' beds let me put more hay in the bed. If that is a problem I throw the hay up on the hay rack of the trailer.

Why did I change from the 2011 to the 2016. I wish I had a great answer. Main reason was that I put air bags in the 2011 2500 and had a failure going to WY. So the 2016 is 3500. The 2016 also has leather so easier to get the dog hair cleaned up. Another reason was heated seats. Wife runs the heated seats while I crank up the AC. Lastly figured I will be buying one more truck before retirement so that would probably be a 2026. So really not good reasons to change.

The only noticeable difference (besides suspension 2500vs3500) the 2011, when you got on the throttle at 60/65mph it still had something in it. The 2016, it seems like there is a governor and if you are going to pass someone you have to plan ahead. Very odd, as this should be.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Scupper View Post

The only noticeable difference (besides suspension 2500vs3500) the 2011, when you got on the throttle at 60/65mph it still had something in it. The 2016, it seems like there is a governor and if you are going to pass someone you have to plan ahead. Very odd, as this should be.
Yes, they all have dead pedal or turbo lag, what ever you want to call it. I remember when I got my truck the first time it happened to me. I switched lanes to go around a slow driver in front of me I hit the throttle and nothing. Looking in my rear view mirror I could see the car behind me coming down on me fast I had my foot to the floor. Then a few seconds later (which seemed like minute when someone is barreling down on you in your mirror) it got up and moved.
It only took me 6 years but last week I just installed the Edge Amp'd throttle booster with switch. It changes the output/sensitivity of your throttle position sensor. (I also installed the Edge evolution CTS 2 programmer but that's a different story)
With the Amp'd throttle booster & switch you can increase the sensitivity you want from off (stock), 50%, 75%. 100% and ludicrous 400%. It also has a valet mode which decreases it to -50% below stock if you valet it or the dealer or shop has it.
I am really satisfied with it. It works great and the throttle response is incredible. It's like driving a totally different truck. I've tried the 50%,75% and 100% settings...I haven't tried the 400% ludicrous setting yet. I drive around with it on the 50% setting and it drives and responds great. I was so use to having to push the pedal down all those years that It took me a few day to relearn to lighten up on the throttle. I would forget at a light some times and apply my regular throttle pressure and the truck would jump to life. It took me by surprise a few times.
IMHO it is well worth it.
FYI:

https://edgeproducts.com/ampd-thrott...-gas-vehicles/
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rusty Scupper
Diesel Starter

Dmax Dually - thanks I will look into it. The 2016 seems more than a dead pedal, more like no turbo. Chevy says it is fine.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Scupper View Post
Dmax Dually - thanks I will look into it. The 2016 seems more than a dead pedal, more like no turbo. Chevy says it is fine.
You're Welcome..
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mel44o
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Truck View Post
Hi,

I have questions about the system that uses DEF. Having read many threads on this I haven't found an answer to my situation.

Purchased new, 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 4WD SLT with extended cab. It now has 20,000 miles, a fraction of that pulling a horse trailer (living quarter gooseneck); a lot of short trips (under 1 hr). It's a great truck and hoped it would be the last one I'd ever buy. My husband calls it my "pet truck" because I wash it and check the tires and worry about it all the time.

The dealership who last repaired my truck warned me it is the last time they will flush out the DEF tank for $200. Next time it will be ~ $1200. The diagnosis I received is not enough miles driven and the DEF went "bad".

The dealership service department seems competent. They did all the necessary updates and replaced N0x sensors. It's running fine now but they can't guarantee my DEF system won't keep acting up unless I drive it more. My truck was the first year for the DEF system, so maybe I'm just out of luck?

Is it possible to avoid DEF problems with this truck by driving it more?

How much do I have to drive it? At what speed? For how long? How many miles per week or month?

Thanks very much for any comments!
I can tell u I have a 2011 Chevy 2500 hd only prob I ever had was with def last time almost 3 yrs ago I got it deleted it was the best decision I ever made
Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Olemax
Gear Grinder

DEF Storage Life

I have had similar problems with DEF on a newly acquired 2012 Silverado LML, and have learned that DEF quality degrades much more rapidly at higher temperatures. Letting a vehicle sit in cold weather is not nearly so detrimental as in hot weather. Here's a good article, with several interesting facts, all consistent with other articles I have read. I hope this helps.

Happy Dieseling,

https://www.atlasoil.com/blog/show/d...id-quick-facts

Olemax
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in