Diesel Place banner

Turbo issue

Question: 
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  holmestransfer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In Sept I had a CEL at the end of a 5 day, 1800 mile trip towing 10k trailer. Dealer replaced the vane position sensor. No problems for the next month of towing. Then another CEL, error code P003A, something about failed to calibrate and dealer did a re-learn.

Next day another P003A, and I reset it with my Edge Insight. Also reconfigured the Insight so I could monitor the turbo vane position PID. The Insight was acting funny and I was able to switch to another PID. The Insight got so bad, it would power up, display the gauges for 3 seconds and shut down and I would have to start it again. 3 seconds wasn't enough time to make any changes, read error codes or anything.

I now have a new Insight and it is working fine and I'm back to trying to understand what is going on with the turbo. I drove the truck yesterday, started and stopped several times, no CEL. Truck drove totally normal. I can't imagine that a failing Insight could have created the CEL, but maybe??

But my real question is this. What does the turbo vane position PID really indicate? It reads as a percentage, should it be able to go to 100%? At normal cruising, it would show 70-90%. Come to a downgrade and it would drop to 20-30%. Could someone please educate me on this parameter. It will be another 10 days before I need to tow the trailer home and wondering if I'm going to go into limp mode.

TIA

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.