R&R Manual - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
94bluehd
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

R&R Manual

I haven't been on here for a while because I got a new truck and it pretty much takes care of me! I used up my free oil changes at the dealer and used them for the 15,000 service which was $350. Oil changes are about $85-100. I'm at 35,000 now and inquired about the 30,000 mile service......They said about $1,000!!! (Tranny, FF, front and rear Difs, etc). Time to start doing my own maintenance! I did go to another shop which has a good reputation but got a scratch on the door out of that transaction. I think I'd rather just do it myself as I used to with the ole 6.5. Does anyone know of a manual out there? I see manuals for the Duramax or for the trucks without a Duramax. I'm confused which I should get. Anyone know which manual would be the best to go with for a 2016 HD3500 Dmax? Also, how to do an oil analysis (if I wanted) without pulling the plug?

Also-I'm afraid to do anything to it and mess up the warranty. I really liked the Amsoil Dual bypass I had previously with a petcock to sample. Is there a kit for my truck and if so, would it mess with the warranty to go to a bypass system and Amsoil?

I really, really love this motor/transmission combination and it's capabilities!!!

SOLD!!!! at 179k miles: 1994 6.5 HO vin "F" X-cab, long box 4x4, Phazer set installed, 97+ cooling mods with 9-blade fan.Turbomaster, gauges, OPS mods with selenoid and lift pump indicator light 4" turbo back open exhaust, remote dual oil by-pass, Amsoil 15w-40, remote PMD #9, battery mods, 98+ air box, 3.42s w/ NV 4500 converted to South Bend SM system with damper installed.

Last edited by 94bluehd; 10-17-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: additional qs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Superstar

If you are going to keep the truck for awhile, and do at least some of the work yourself, I would suggest either getting the full-service manual (helminc.com, or amazon/ebay), or subscribe to it online (alldatadiy.com, helminc.com, likely other places).

You could pump a bit of oil out via a tube in the dipstick tube...

I would suggest talking to GM about how that Amsoil dual bypass filter setup would affect your warranty.

The other thing I would suggest you get is a good code reader, one that can read and access codes from all the computers in your truck (there's maybe 10-20 or so in your truck, depending on options). Most of the cheap handheld units only access the ECM, and then maybe (for the more expensive ones) some combination of transmission, air bags, and anti-lock braking computers.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 10-17-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
94bluehd
Clutch

Thank you. Those manuals sure are pricey....What is a good example of a code reader?

SOLD!!!! at 179k miles: 1994 6.5 HO vin "F" X-cab, long box 4x4, Phazer set installed, 97+ cooling mods with 9-blade fan.Turbomaster, gauges, OPS mods with selenoid and lift pump indicator light 4" turbo back open exhaust, remote dual oil by-pass, Amsoil 15w-40, remote PMD #9, battery mods, 98+ air box, 3.42s w/ NV 4500 converted to South Bend SM system with damper installed.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Superstar

Well, they are a little bigger than the $20-$30 Haynes manual. The FSM for my '04 Sierra is 5 volumes, just over 2000 pages per volume.

The online version is supposed to be the exact same info, and is significantly cheaper, but I don't like using a computer while getting dirty working on the truck.

A benefit of the online version is it may be internally hyperlinked (a lot of repair procedures reference other repair procedures to reduce duplication, I don't know if they actually have these hyperlinks though), and even if it doesn't, you can open up new tabs to look at the referenced procedure. I'm always looking for bits of paper to jam in the book to go back and forth between them as I'm working.

As for code readers, for my generation truck (GMT800) and maybe even the early GMT900's, I would recommend a Tech II or something like Autogenuity w gm enhancement, no cheap, but they access all the computers in your truck, and also can perform various diagnostic and repair procedures (for example, to properly bleed the ABS system if your brake system ran dry, but there's a bunch of other things, varies between years and what engine/transmission you have). But I know GM changed things up in recent years, and I'm not sure what products out there work well for them. I would suggest contacting Autogenuity to determine how well their product would work for your truck. Again, these aren't cheap, but if you are going to do any significant work on your truck, and you are planning to keep your truck for a long time, it's worthwhile. I bought Autogenuity w gm enhancement to use with my truck, and find it works very well for me.

Last edited by davester; 10-18-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
407driver
Diesel Rookie

Maintenance you can Easily DO yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bluehd View Post
Thank you. Those manuals sure are pricey....What is a good example of a code reader?
The reason that service is so expensive is because of all that needs to be done.

Engine oil and filter (Baldwin B1441 or Mobil M1-303) Lots of opinions on what oil, read the threads and decide for yourself based upon how you drive ur truck. Just INSURE it is a Diesel rated oil. Regular engine oil does not have the proper additives for a diesel engine.

Engine Coolant (Dex Cool ONLY) Prestone brand seems to be cheapest.
Differential fluid (synthetic (Mobile 1 is good)
Transmission fluid and spin on filter (Either Dex VI or better yet, Transynd (Double Drain Method recommended)
Transfer Case fluid (again Dex VI or Transynd)

And the most often neglected but Very Important (Each should be done every 1/2 years)

Brake Fluid
Power Steering/Hydroboost fluid.

There are threads to teach you how to do each.
Search is your friend. You will learn Lots reading the threads about any issue you search for and "How To" for whatever maintenance you need.

Read, Learn and Enjoy this forum.........It is a magnificent resource for every thing Duramax/Silverado!!

As far as a code reader better yet buy an Edge Insight or something similar. It will not only read your codes and clear them but it will enable you to monitor several PIDs (user selectable) in real time as you drive.
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS monitor on Windshield mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, ATP Heavy Tow tune, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Futomo oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 5100NEC GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height shocks.

Last edited by OkDually; 12-01-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: removed broken links
Old 12-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Superstar

Note, the Edge Insight (I've got a Insight CTS 2) only reads basic ODBII codes, not codes from any other systems (such as ABS, air bags, transmission, and a bunch more on these trucks).
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bluehd View Post
They said about $1,000!!! (Tranny, FF, front and rear Difs, etc). Time to start doing my own. Anyone know which manual would be the best to go with for a 2016 HD3500 Dmax? Also-I'm afraid to do anything to it and mess up the warranty. I really liked the Amsoil Dual bypass I had previously with a petcock to sample. Is there a kit for my truck and if so, would it mess with the warranty to go to a bypass system and Amsoil?
No manual needed. If there’s no DIY on this site the other sites do.
You can change all your fluid in about an hour and save $$$$
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...nsor-pics.html
Lots of info in Sticky’s, Maintenance, DIY (Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews) etc...
People have there favorite oil. There’s lots of info on oils on here. Read, Read, Read
I use Amsoil in Front/Rear Differentials, i add 4 oz. of Amsoil Slip-Lok additive in Rear. Mobil 1 5w-30 transfercase. I didn’t fill through speed sensor on the transfercase. Just something else to go wrong. Tranynd in Transmission.
You can do this with fluids mentioned and save $800

I changed all my fluids at 500 miles. Sure glad I did because of my year the rear differential was under filled at factory. Thanks to this site and the others for info. Takes 4 quarts and only had 1 1/2 quarts in it.

FUMOTO ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE Is easy to use for oil analysis.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 12-03-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in