LML: Disappointed in new 2011 duramax - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

have you changed the ''FUEL FILTER'' or air filter yet?

Last edited by dmax3500; 10-15-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
407driver
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1gt View Post
take a look at the fuel rail pressure under load. In my experience a restricted fuel filter will just give you low power on a diesel.
In addition to the fuel filter did it cold also be the braided lines in yoru fuel system. Over time those hoses can degrade and collapse causing the symptoms you describe.

There are braided lines at the top of the tank to the 1/2" SS line, one under the drivers side of the truck between the frame and the transmission and yet another at the drivers side rear of the engine.

All could be the source of the problem.

I had that issue with the one at the rear of the engine. Since the fuel is under suction from the tank to the Fuel Pump you will not notice any fuel dripping, because the FP is sucking the fuel.

I did all the lines on my truck just in case.

I followed the TSB except for one procedure. The TSB called for the factory swaged clamps to be cut twice, 180 degrees from one another. I didn't see a way to fit my Dremel in there so I made one cut, in the easiest way, being careful NOT to nick the fuel line. It is essential to cut it entirely on one side.

Then I took a large flat screwdriver and slipped it into the slot I had created and turned it with a pair of Channel Locks. When I spread the slot the hose and factory crimp came off easily.

The lower one came off quickly, about 20 minutes total to complete it, including installing the new hose and two clamps on each end.

The upper one was more challenging. I removed the fender liner so I could sit on a work stool and comfortably work. I didn't even turn the Dremel on until I had the tool positioned correctly. There are many small wires near it and if I cut one it would have made another problem for me to repair.

I worked slowly and carefully to make that one cut. The upper end of the hose is a quick connect fitting (1/2") and it came off easily. It is necessary to push the fitting further onto the Steel line as you pull the tool into the disconnect. Do that and it falls apart. If you fail to push it onto the steel line you will fight it for hours.

Get a good grade of hose, make sure it is Bio Diesel compatible! I got mine online a while ago and had this piece left over from another project.

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS monitor on Windshield mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, ATP Heavy Tow tune, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Futomo oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 5100NEC GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height shocks.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in