LML: I Love My CP4! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I Love My CP4!

Let me tell you about that POF CP4. Screwed my life up for the moment but hey it could always be worse.

So Friday of Labor Day weekend I filled up my tank to the brim with fuel (about $90 worth here in MO) on my way to work. I traveled to my job which was about 15 miles away from the fuel station. On lunch I traveled about 34 miles one way all open interstate going between 55mph and 75mph. Not at any point I went WOT. On the way back from lunch cruising at approximately 65mph, the skinny pedal stop working and felt a loss for power. Pulled over on the shoulder and get a message saying "Change Fuel Filter".

I turn truck off in hopes that it will somehow reset itself (even though I knew that wasnt gonna work) and nope, still stuck in limp mode. So I proceed to drive on the shoulder for the next 3 miles because I was almost back to work. I had a friend come up after work and bring me another fuel filter (AC Delco to be exact). My truck is a deleted and tuned 2011 and I have EZ Lynk with PPEI tuning, so I read the code (P128e) and cleared the code once I changed the filter in the parking lot. I drove the truck around the lot a couple times and decided to try and drive 17 miles home and then boom, engine went into reduced power mode again and had to call for a tow truck. At that moment I knew the CP4 called craps at the beginning of Labor Day weekend.

Drop the truck off to the dealership because I wanted an accurate diagnosis and they called back to me and said "Bad new, catastrophic failure. CP4 exploded and took entire fuel system with it. Right now your looking at $16k in repairs. But, we can give you our employee discount @ $12,369.68 out the door". I was literally sick after hearing that. I do not have $12k just laying around to fix my daily driver. Truck has 132K miles on it. At this point I was considering trading it in but they only offered $10k for the truck as it sat.

So I got the wise idea to call the insurance (State Farm) and see if they would cover it. They were being complete pricks about everything and basically said they'd cover the repairs only if there was water contamination. So they sent an adjuster out yesterday to talk to the dealership and I am assuming taking a fuel sample. I pray that their is enough water in the fuel to get these charges covered.

Either way it goes, I have my parts list together of what I need from injectors, fuel lines, CP3 conversion and lift pumps. Plan on adding a Y bridge kit, down pipe and up pipes while its all apart.

I always change my oil prematurely, get fuel from the same 2 stations, use AC Delco air/fuel/oi filtersl and only been WOT a handful of times. At this point I am still in utter disbelief but back in 2014 when I purchased this truck, I knew there was a possibility that this could happen. So right now I am just sitting back waiting to see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
NorCal2500HD
Diesel Head

Were you running a lift pump with your tune?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

No lift pump. Was told it wasnt needed unless I was running 150hp tune or higher.

Its been a ton of argument that supposedly adding the lift pump was adding to the CP4 failure count. I personally thought the lift pump would relieve stress off the CP4. It seem to be more common that all or "most" failures had a lift pump installed. Not sure how true either one is....
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
NorCal2500HD
Diesel Head

I would say you recieved some bad advice. Just because your not running 150HP tune and dropping rail pressure doesnt mean you shouldnt run a lift pump. CP4 needs all the help it can get

Running any tune on any CP4 truck without a LP is like playing with fire IMO.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Yea that what my understanding was. But I kept having a ton of DEF issues which is the only reason why I deleted it. Got tired of being stranded. Been deleted 7 months and BOOM, this happens
Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
gunnerdmax2003
Diesel Fanatic

Armed Forces Club Member

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Hopefully this helps but merchant automotive sells a full kit for 4600 dollars. You might call them, I donít know how long it would take for the labor part. Sucks bud sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edge monitor, PCV rerouted, FASS 150, Def removed, AFE SS 4inch down pipe back exhaust, MBRP down pipe, WC FAB Y-bridge kit with hot and cold side inter cooling pipes(chevy racing orange), EGR removed, EFI Live by Korey Willis, AFE momentum HD 10R intake, mag hytec Deep pan , leveled by cognito stage 3 kit with UCA's. Caltrac traction bars, Kryptonite straight center link, tie rods, PISC kit, HD sway bar end links, Amsoil in both diffs.Toyo Open Country A/T II 295/60R20s (34x11.61R20) on SOTA REPR 20x9 machined.
previous truck:
2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax
edge with attitude, AFE intake, MBRP 4inch stainless
H2 rims 315/70/17 BFG AT's
Should have never got rid of her!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jimc295
Low Boost

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Were you running an additive for lubricity?
GO DAWGS
Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdmax2003 View Post
Hopefully this helps but merchant automotive sells a full kit for 4600 dollars. You might call them, I donít know how long it would take for the labor part. Sucks bud sorry to hear that.
I saw the merchant auto link. I even saw one cheaper than that. I also found the GM kit for $1600 with pump, fuel rails and injectors.I may have to tackle the job myself. It is going to take some time to finish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc295 View Post
Were you running an additive for lubricity?
No, never knew it was a thing that I shouldve been doing
Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jimc295
Low Boost

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
No, never knew it was a thing that I shouldve been doing
The only reason I ask is I am at 130K and am learning that along with a LP some additive are 2 things you probably should do. I Just purchased mine and the high mileage are road miles so not to worried but plan on running XDP like I did in my Ram and probably a Kennedy LP so keeping my fingers crossed nothing bad happens til I get it taken care of.
GO DAWGS
Old 09-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc295 View Post
The only reason I ask is I am at 130K and am learning that along with a LP some additive are 2 things you probably should do. I Just purchased mine and the high mileage are road miles so not to worried but plan on running XDP like I did in my Ram and probably a Kennedy LP so keeping my fingers crossed nothing bad happens til I get it taken care of.
Yea I hope you have the best of luck. Mine crapped out about 2 weeks ago and I have 132k on mine. I've been deleted for less than 10k miles. Maybe a LP wouldve helped it live longer. I bought my truck with 60k on the dash and have not added any additives since I owned it. Lucky me I guess

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in