Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   LML: I Love My CP4! (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/969200-i-love-my-cp4.html)

SwampWS6 09-11-2018 04:25 PM

I Love My CP4!

Let me tell you about that POF CP4. Screwed my life up for the moment but hey it could always be worse.

So Friday of Labor Day weekend I filled up my tank to the brim with fuel (about $90 worth here in MO) on my way to work. I traveled to my job which was about 15 miles away from the fuel station. On lunch I traveled about 34 miles one way all open interstate going between 55mph and 75mph. Not at any point I went WOT. On the way back from lunch cruising at approximately 65mph, the skinny pedal stop working and felt a loss for power. Pulled over on the shoulder and get a message saying "Change Fuel Filter".

I turn truck off in hopes that it will somehow reset itself (even though I knew that wasnt gonna work) and nope, still stuck in limp mode. So I proceed to drive on the shoulder for the next 3 miles because I was almost back to work. I had a friend come up after work and bring me another fuel filter (AC Delco to be exact). My truck is a deleted and tuned 2011 and I have EZ Lynk with PPEI tuning, so I read the code (P128e) and cleared the code once I changed the filter in the parking lot. I drove the truck around the lot a couple times and decided to try and drive 17 miles home and then boom, engine went into reduced power mode again and had to call for a tow truck. At that moment I knew the CP4 called craps at the beginning of Labor Day weekend.

Drop the truck off to the dealership because I wanted an accurate diagnosis and they called back to me and said "Bad new, catastrophic failure. CP4 exploded and took entire fuel system with it. Right now your looking at $16k in repairs. But, we can give you our employee discount @ $12,369.68 out the door". I was literally sick after hearing that. I do not have $12k just laying around to fix my daily driver. Truck has 132K miles on it. At this point I was considering trading it in but they only offered $10k for the truck as it sat.

So I got the wise idea to call the insurance (State Farm) and see if they would cover it. They were being complete pricks about everything and basically said they'd cover the repairs only if there was water contamination. So they sent an adjuster out yesterday to talk to the dealership and I am assuming taking a fuel sample. I pray that their is enough water in the fuel to get these charges covered.

Either way it goes, I have my parts list together of what I need from injectors, fuel lines, CP3 conversion and lift pumps. Plan on adding a Y bridge kit, down pipe and up pipes while its all apart.

I always change my oil prematurely, get fuel from the same 2 stations, use AC Delco air/fuel/oi filtersl and only been WOT a handful of times. At this point I am still in utter disbelief but back in 2014 when I purchased this truck, I knew there was a possibility that this could happen. So right now I am just sitting back waiting to see what happens.

NorCal2500HD 09-16-2018 08:17 PM

Were you running a lift pump with your tune?

SwampWS6 09-17-2018 09:30 AM

No lift pump. Was told it wasnt needed unless I was running 150hp tune or higher.

Its been a ton of argument that supposedly adding the lift pump was adding to the CP4 failure count. I personally thought the lift pump would relieve stress off the CP4. It seem to be more common that all or "most" failures had a lift pump installed. Not sure how true either one is....

NorCal2500HD 09-17-2018 11:44 AM

I would say you recieved some bad advice. Just because your not running 150HP tune and dropping rail pressure doesnt mean you shouldnt run a lift pump. CP4 needs all the help it can get

Running any tune on any CP4 truck without a LP is like playing with fire IMO.

SwampWS6 09-17-2018 11:50 AM

Yea that what my understanding was. But I kept having a ton of DEF issues which is the only reason why I deleted it. Got tired of being stranded. Been deleted 7 months and BOOM, this happens

gunnerdmax2003 09-20-2018 12:07 PM

Hopefully this helps but merchant automotive sells a full kit for 4600 dollars. You might call them, I donít know how long it would take for the labor part. Sucks bud sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimc295 09-20-2018 02:00 PM

Were you running an additive for lubricity?

SwampWS6 09-20-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnerdmax2003 (Post 9748576)
Hopefully this helps but merchant automotive sells a full kit for 4600 dollars. You might call them, I donít know how long it would take for the labor part. Sucks bud sorry to hear that.

I saw the merchant auto link. I even saw one cheaper than that. I also found the GM kit for $1600 with pump, fuel rails and injectors.I may have to tackle the job myself. It is going to take some time to finish this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimc295 (Post 9748612)
Were you running an additive for lubricity?

No, never knew it was a thing that I shouldve been doing

Jimc295 09-20-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampWS6 (Post 9748614)
No, never knew it was a thing that I shouldve been doing

The only reason I ask is I am at 130K and am learning that along with a LP some additive are 2 things you probably should do. I Just purchased mine and the high mileage are road miles so not to worried but plan on running XDP like I did in my Ram and probably a Kennedy LP so keeping my fingers crossed nothing bad happens til I get it taken care of.

SwampWS6 09-20-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimc295 (Post 9748672)
The only reason I ask is I am at 130K and am learning that along with a LP some additive are 2 things you probably should do. I Just purchased mine and the high mileage are road miles so not to worried but plan on running XDP like I did in my Ram and probably a Kennedy LP so keeping my fingers crossed nothing bad happens til I get it taken care of.

Yea I hope you have the best of luck. Mine crapped out about 2 weeks ago and I have 132k on mine. I've been deleted for less than 10k miles. Maybe a LP wouldve helped it live longer. I bought my truck with 60k on the dash and have not added any additives since I owned it. Lucky me I guess