LML: I Love My CP4! - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #41 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I just installed a Fass 95GPH titanium series lift pump yesterday. I paid $568.00 with free shipping.
I also bought the MaxTow 3 gauge set with the A Pillar pod mount that I'm going to install next week. The 3 gauges I got are, a 0-30,000 psi fuel rail pressure gauge to monitor the output of the cp4 pump, A 0-30 psi fuel pressure gauge to monitor the output press of the Fass lift pump and a 400-2200 deg EGT gauge. I got the 400-2200 deg gauge instead of the 0-1500 because I wanted more range at the higher temps and because I don't need to worry or care about my EGT below 400 degs..

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 12-07-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #42 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
I just installed a Fass 95GPH titanium series lift pump yesterday. I paid $568.00 with free shipping.
I paid $580 for my FASS 165 on black friday

Old 12-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #43 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
I paid $580 for my FASS 165 on black friday
Yeah...I was going back and forth for a while whether to get the 95GPA or the 165GPH. At first I was definitely going to get the 165GPH for the extra $30.00.
But after talking to Fass Tech support several times and yeah they said the 165GPH would work in my stock truck but I could have issues. So I decided, with their help, that the 95GPH would fit my needs.

1. The 95GPH is design for trucks that are stock or has some moderate mods up
to 600HP.
I have no interest in modding my dually to get 600+ Hp out of it. The only
other mod I will
be adding to it is the Edge evolution CTS 2 stage 1 kit with the cold air intake
next year.

2. The issue they said that I could have is a flow/suction problems with the 165GPH pump because my
factory suction tube in the sending unit can't handle it. They recommended
installing their
suction tube/sump kit with the 165GPH pump.
I had my factory fuel tank replaced several
years ago with a Transfer Flow 61 gal metal tank with the Trax 3 system which
uses myfactory sending unit and pick up tube.
I wasn't about to look for a place to drop my tank and drill into it to install a
new sump pickup tube . So that's the reasons why I went with the 95GPH
pump.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah...I was going back and forth for a while whether to get the 95GPA or the 165GPH. At first I was definitely going to get the 165GPH for the extra $30.00.
But after talking to Fass Tech support several times and yeah they said the 165GPH would work in my stock truck but I could have issues. So I decided, with their help, that the 95GPH would fit my needs.

1. The 95GPH is design for trucks that are stock or has some moderate mods up
to 600HP.
I have no interest in modding my dually to get 600+ Hp out of it. The only
other mod I will
be adding to it is the Edge evolution CTS 2 stage 1 kit with the cold air intake
next year.

2. The issue they said that I could have is a flow/suction problems with the 165GPH pump because my
factory suction tube in the sending unit can't handle it. They recommended
installing their
suction tube/sump kit with the 165GPH pump.
I had my factory fuel tank replaced several
years ago with a Transfer Flow 61 gal metal tank with the Trax 3 system which
uses myfactory sending unit and pick up tube.
I wasn't about to look for a place to drop my tank and drill into it to install a
new sump pickup tube . So that's the reasons why I went with the 95GPH
pump.
That makes perfect sense. Since Im already deleted and tuned and now swapping for a CP3, thats why I went with the 165. Plus I was adding the sump kit while I was at it because I didnt not want to have the 1/4 tank problems like FASS and other owners were having.

So it sounds like we did our research and did what was best for each of our rides. LOL.

All I am missing now is the sump and downpipe, and I will be ready for the install. Here are my parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20181201_190622_9352.jpg (62.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
That makes perfect sense. Since Im already deleted and tuned and now swapping for a CP3, thats why I went with the 165. Plus I was adding the sump kit while I was at it because I didnt not want to have the 1/4 tank problems like FASS and other owners were having.

So it sounds like we did our research and did what was best for each of our rides. LOL.

All I am missing now is the sump and downpipe, and I will be ready for the install. Here are my parts
The main reason I installed the Fass kit was to hopefully help/protect my cp4 pump. I don't have the resources or room for me to replace my cp4 pump with a cp3. I also started using opti-lube in my fuel...
Old 12-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
The main reason I installed the Fass kit was to hopefully help/protect my cp4 pump. I don't have the resources or room for me to replace my cp4 pump with a cp3. I also started using opti-lube in my fuel...
I think thats a decent plan. I was never informed to use any fuel additives and this probably assisted in my CP4 demise.....LOL
Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
I think thats a decent plan. I was never informed to use any fuel additives and this probably assisted in my CP4 demise.....LOL
Well, I've driven my truck for 6 years and 109,200 miles with nothing but the factory fuel/water water filter and I haven't had any issues. I'm sure my cp4 pump is worse for wear. It's only after a co-workers CP4 pump failed and it was $12,000 to fix did I start researching it. Who knows if any damage was already done to my pump. If you're interested look up Opti-Lube XDP.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #48 (permalink)
musclecarmike
Low Boost

Great thread! The same thing happened to me in October.. ( IE Original post regarding bad fuel, dealership diagnosis etc. ) Tank/lines/fuel system cleaned by them for $1100 and when they hit me up for the $12K I decided to bring it home and research. My truck is still running, FPR pulled and only a few flakes of metal on screen very minor, truck will build pressure up to about 18,000 PSI but no go after that. I am replacing the CP4 with another CP4 and running the system saver FPR with the dual / smaller micron screens. Total cost is going to be under $1800 to get it done and I think that's the right move for me. All the injector balance rates were good when tested so hopefully this is just a damaged pump going into failure. I guess it could also be a bad FPR but at least I know "what I got" after I change the pump. My truck is bone stock, and its an LGH so doing a delete, CP3 conversion, lift pump, tune and adding all the labor is way out of line for me $$ wise. I'm hoping the fuel saver FPR and proper break in, running the right additives and the CP4 will last a long time. Truck is going into disassembly / repair mode this week .
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #49 (permalink)
LBZjunkie
Diesel Apprentice

CP4 failures sure do suck, I would say the biggest reason I looked specifically for an LBZ, yeah I know 7-10 trucks are ok but not for me. Just a few pieces of advice from a diesel technician, first, if I did ever buy an 11-16 the first thing I would do is the CP3 pump change. Second, I've only read of one person talk about the COMPLETE repair procedure, drop the tank and clean it, all the chassis fuel lines, the filter head, the fuel supply and return lines on the engine. The GM kit comes with everything needed, but not supply and return lines, and yes, the tank WILL be full of metal, IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OUT AND ALL LINES CLEANED OUT OR THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, EVEN SOONER! I just did one on a 15 with just over 200k on it, just under 10k for repairs.
Primary/secondary fuel filter's, OE still in place
Firestone air bags
Pacbrake onboard air
EGR delete
Junk *** POS Duramileage tuner-WTF WAS I THINKING!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #50 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZjunkie View Post
CP4 failures sure do suck, I would say the biggest reason I looked specifically for an LBZ, yeah I know 7-10 trucks are ok but not for me. Just a few pieces of advice from a diesel technician, first, if I did ever buy an 11-16 the first thing I would do is the CP3 pump change. Second, I've only read of one person talk about the COMPLETE repair procedure, drop the tank and clean it, all the chassis fuel lines, the filter head, the fuel supply and return lines on the engine. The GM kit comes with everything needed, but not supply and return lines, and yes, the tank WILL be full of metal, IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OUT AND ALL LINES CLEANED OUT OR THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, EVEN SOONER! I just did one on a 15 with just over 200k on it, just under 10k for repairs.
I roughly spent $5300 on parts and my friend whose a diesel tech at performance diesel shop and is charging me $2800 in labor since I supplied the parts. Those Black Friday sales really really helped out a lot.

Im a gearhead for sure and I have learned a ton since purchasing my 11' in 2014. No one informed me that I was supposed to use additives in my fuel to help keep the CP4 happy. My advice to anyone that buys a 11-16 LML, either buy a CP3 from the jump or purchase a truck that already has the swap.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in