LML: I Love My CP4! - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
LETHAL WEAPON
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

what's the reason for gm too use the cp4 when the cp3 is much better the the cp4 and will gm go back to using the cp3 in the newer trucks since those pumps are more reliable

Modified Allison 6 speed done by suncoast,
EFI LIVE with Danville performance Tow tune & ,DPF,DOC,EGR delete Best MPG is 21.3 PVC re-route
Filtration F.A.S.S. w/Donaldson P551313
Niketane filter head w/ Donaldson P553207 w/ site bowl
Wheels 22.5 ALCOA's wraped in Goodyear 255/70/22.5 and spun by 4.56 gears,Window Tint 5% on all windows Gauges... Boost,Fuel PSI,Differential, Air Pressure, Oil temp &EGT and EDGE CTS monitor,2 sets of shocker XL train horns, Fleece performance Tuff shafts(NO MORE PASSENGER SIDE DISCONNECT SLEEVE TO BREAK OR FRONT ACTUATOR NOT TO WORK) Front driveshaft will spin while in 2wd, MAG-HYTEC differential cover , Alligator Performance tranny lines, Coolant filtration kit, Krytonite UCA,Tie rods, Centerlink and Idler support kit, Merchant Automotive motor mounts....."ARB air locker install

INDIVIDUALITY....You laugh at me because I'm different....I laugh at you because yall LOOK all the same
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL WEAPON View Post
what's the reason for gm too use the cp4 when the cp3 is much better the the cp4 and will gm go back to using the cp3 in the newer trucks since those pumps are more reliable
Easy. To save money initially. Then create revenue by having you return to the stealership for repairs when these pumps fail. After all, GM sells a CP4 failure kit for about $2k to "fix" the issue..... But if you buy injectors out right, your going to pay more than $2k for them.

Think about how many people actually paid for the repairs through the stealership. Let's just say 1 truck every 6 months come in for a failed CP4. Then take that times the amount of actual stealerships across the country that has a diesel tech on site that actually does diesel mechanical work then take the fact that a stealership charges on average (IMO) about $11k in repairs. Then take that amount from the years of 2011-2015. That is a nice amount of pocket change for them trying to skimp out on using cheap parts. Lol

Last edited by SwampWS6; 11-29-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

I Love My CP4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL WEAPON View Post

CP4 is a dual-piston pump that is timed to the injector firing event. As opposed to the cp3 being a 3 piston pump, and not timed. Supposedly, by timing the piston strokes to the injectors firing, the CP4 was more efficient.

GM has since switched to a Denso pump, instead of the Bosch CP3 or CP4. Time will tell if they’re more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by holmestransfer; 11-29-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

I think when we all purchased our Dmax's with the thought in mind that these trucks could handle anything you throw at them! Not to create extra debt along with the cost of the truck.

I went diesel because I wanted this to be my last truck, I wanted something to last past 300k miles and not be wore out towing less than 10k lbs, I wanted something that I can throw my little family in and hit the highway in. Not to have repairs that cost as much as 3 - 4 used cars. LOL[/QUOTE]

That was the exact reason why I consolodated to one vehicle and shelled out 55k for my truck because I thought it would be the last new vehicle I buy. I always heard everyone talking about diesels and how long they last. You'll gets 300-400,000 miles out of them easy if you maintain them. How if someone bought a used diesel pickup with 150,000+ miles on it that it not even broken in yet.
One of the vehicles I got rid of when I bought my truck in 2012 was a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with the 4.0L straight six. I bought it used in 1994 in mint condition from an older man when I lived in NY. It had 15,000 on it and the only 2 things I had to do to it, besides routine maintenance and normal wear items, was the rear main oil seal and a distributor shaft because the bearing was making noise. When I traded it in to the dealer the day I picked up my new truck It was 21 years old and had over 302,000 miles on it and the only thing wrong was the original Transmission started having problems going into reverse.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post

That was the exact reason why I consolodated to one vehicle and shelled out 55k for my truck because I thought it would be the last new vehicle I buy. I always heard everyone talking about diesels and how long they last. You'll gets 300-400,000 miles out of them easy if you maintain them. How if someone bought a used diesel pickup with 150,000+ miles on it that it not even broken in yet.
One of the vehicles I got rid of when I bought my truck in 2012 was a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with the 4.0L straight six. I bought it used in 1994 in mint condition from an older man when I lived in NY. It had 15,000 on it and the only 2 things I had to do to it, besides routine maintenance and normal wear items, was the rear main oil seal and a distributor shaft because the bearing was making noise. When I traded it in to the dealer the day I picked up my new truck It was 21 years old and had over 302,000 miles on it and the only thing wrong was the original Transmission started having problems going into reverse.
Those Cherokee Laredo's with the 4.0 are BULLET PROOF. I know a guy that ran one for almost a week with less than a qt of oil in it. LOL

But I agree, that was my main reasoning behind me purchasing my Dmax. Longevity! But I did see a LML last night actually that has 1.2 million miles that was deleted with NO LIFT PUMP. I was impressed to say the least...
Old 11-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #36 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
Those Cherokee Laredo's with the 4.0 are BULLET PROOF. I know a guy that ran one for almost a week with less than a qt of oil in it. LOL

But I agree, that was my main reasoning behind me purchasing my Dmax. Longevity! But I did see a LML last night actually that has 1.2 million miles that was deleted with NO LIFT PUMP. I was impressed to say the least...
Wow, did it still have the original CP4 pump and were any other mods besides the delete done to it?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #37 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Stock CP4, turbo and injectors
Old 11-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

That's great to hear. Since people only post nightmare stories when their CP4 pumps fail maybe a thread should be started for people who have high mileage on their original CP4 pumps without a failure.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
SaguaroKid
Forum King

Does anyone know the typical parts and labor cost to switch out a CP4 to a CP3 before a failure? Thanks

" I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Unknown

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2019 Chevy 3500 SRW CC Duramax/Alli LTZ. Stock.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaguaroKid View Post
Does anyone know the typical parts and labor cost to switch out a CP4 to a CP3 before a failure? Thanks
CP3 conversion kit is usually between $1300-1800 (depending on how radical). Lift Pump is between $550-$700 (depending on how radical). Between $1500-$3000 depending on what part of the country and which shop is chosen.
This is from what I've seen

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in