LML: I Love My CP4! - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
I am the original owner of 2012 3500HD and I currently have 108900 miles on it with no mods. Should I have my CP4 pump replaced with a CP3 before it grenades? I don't want to add a fas kit or lift pump. I just want to know if there is a better after market direct replacement pump. Thanks.

quit worrying,just keep driving it

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
2011-2015 are the CP4s. I think the 2016 has something slightly different but dont quote me on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal2500HD View Post
All LMLs have the CP4. 2015+ got a redesigned CP4.
The 2016 still uses CP4.2 Pump
GM Part :12661059 PUMP,FUEL INJECTION(INCLUDES 1,3-11)(PLS REFER TO TSB 16-NAME-102 PRIOR TO ORDERING THIS PART)PUMP, Fuel Injector Pump years 2011-2016
These years 2011-2016 take the same pump. No redesign.

TSB 16-NAME-102
https://gm.oemdtc.com/3364/16-na-102...-chevrolet-gmc

Last edited by Rvn4me; 11-27-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 12:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax3500 View Post
quit worrying,just keep driving it
I am driving it and I do worry. I use to own several vehicles back in 2012. I sold them and purchase my 2012 3500HD dually brand new. I now have 109,000 on it and I don't have $12,000.00 just sitting around to have the fuel system rebuilt.
It is not a work truck. It is my personal vehicle and daily driver. I also use it to pull my 5th wheel camper. A friend had it happen to his 2015, just out of warranty, last year and that's what it cost him to have his fuel system replaced.
If the pump goes my truck it will become a permanent fixture in my garage for a long time.
That's why I'm going to spend $600.00 a FASS lift pump now in the hopes that it might help prevent it from happening any time soon. I am also going to start adding Opti-lube XPD to my fuel.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
gunnerdmax2003
Diesel Fanatic

Armed Forces Club Member

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

I listen to a pod cast and last month they were talking about LML along with all the previous models and Ford and Dodge.
The shop owner said the number one thing you can do is add a lift pump for LMLs to extend and protect the pump and injectors. Running an additive is important in my opinion too.

2012 GMC Denali HD

Edge monitor, PCV rerouted, FASS 150, Def removed, AFE SS 4inch down pipe back exhaust, MBRP down pipe, WC FAB Y-bridge kit with hot and cold side inter cooling pipes(chevy racing orange), EGR removed, EFI Live by Korey Willis, AFE momentum HD 10R intake, mag hytec Deep pan , leveled by cognito stage 3 kit with UCA's. Caltrac traction bars, Kryptonite straight center link, tie rods, PISC kit, HD sway bar end links, Amsoil in both diffs.Toyo Open Country A/T II 295/60R20s (34x11.61R20) on SOTA REPR 20x9 machined.

previous truck:

2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax

edge with attitude, AFE intake, MBRP 4inch stainless

H2 rims 315/70/17 BFG AT's

Should have never got rid of her!
Edge monitor, PCV rerouted, FASS 150, Def removed, AFE SS 4inch down pipe back exhaust, MBRP down pipe, WC FAB Y-bridge kit with hot and cold side inter cooling pipes(chevy racing orange), EGR removed, EFI Live by Korey Willis, AFE momentum HD 10R intake, mag hytec Deep pan , leveled by cognito stage 3 kit with UCA's. Caltrac traction bars, Kryptonite straight center link, tie rods, PISC kit, HD sway bar end links, Amsoil in both diffs.Toyo Open Country A/T II 295/60R20s (34x11.61R20) on SOTA REPR 20x9 machined.
previous truck:
2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax
Old 11-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
I am driving it and I do worry. I use to own several vehicles back in 2012. I sold them and purchase my 2012 3500HD dually brand new. I now have 109,000 on it and I don't have $12,000.00 just sitting around to have the fuel system rebuilt.
It is not a work truck. It is my personal vehicle and daily driver. I also use it to pull my 5th wheel camper. A friend had it happen to his 2015, just out of warranty, last year and that's what it cost him to have his fuel system replaced.
If the pump goes my truck it will become a permanent fixture in my garage for a long time.
That's why I'm going to spend $600.00 a FASS lift pump now in the hopes that it might help prevent it from happening any time soon. I am also going to start adding Opti-lube XPD to my fuel.
Its always easy for some to say not to worry when you have a ton of money laying around for these repairs. When the CP4 goes, it goes and takes a lot of things with it. A CP3 swap while the truck is fine is a very good preventive maintenance to spend your hard earned money on. Especially when you have things like a 5th wheel that you tow on occasion. 9/10 times youll have family with you and that'll be a huge inconvenience. Being out of warranty is another thing that should help you make this hasty decision.

I think when we all purchased our Dmax's with the thought in mind that these trucks could handle anything you throw at them! Not to create extra debt along with the cost of the truck. All vehicles have their issues and diesels have their own set of problems BUT, these bosch pumps are TRASH! Lift pump or not! Lift pump may extend the life some but why not just not eliminate the problem all together. Always think of the band-aid theory, you literally know what the problem is and your essentially doing patch job to get by.....

Now that I have learned the hard way, $3k with labor included sounds a lot better than $8-12k replacing the whole fuel system.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdmax2003 View Post
I listen to a pod cast and last month they were talking about LML along with all the previous models and Ford and Dodge.
The shop owner said the number one thing you can do is add a lift pump for LMLs to extend and protect the pump and injectors. Running an additive is important in my opinion too.

2012 GMC Denali HD

previous truck:

2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax

Yep. But they are admittedly telling you what the problem is and they are having you put a band-aid on it to get buy. When we pay $50k+ for a truck, we shouldnt be hitting a brick wall with repairs bills with as low as 20k miles on our trucks.

I went diesel because I wanted this to be my last truck, I wanted something to last past 300k miles and not be wore out towing less than 10k lbs, I wanted something that I can throw my little family in and hit the highway in. Not to have repairs that cost as much as 3 - 4 used cars. LOL
Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

nope ,I don't have tons of money laying around,,but

I have 20+ customers trucks 2011-2015,with 200,000+miles[some over 400,000] running fine and all stock

how many of all the people here really know of cp4 failures?,,and not your cousins brothers,aunts,dads trucks,,,but real failures
Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

I got lucky, had one with over 170,000 miles before I switched to a CP3. Another one with over 500,000 miles, that one never had a lift pump, and is still going LOL.

One of the company trucks that my cousin drives failed at a little over 100,000. Iíve personally seen quite a few at my local diesel shop. Never experienced it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax3500 View Post
nope ,I don't have tons of money laying around,,but

I have 20+ customers trucks 2011-2015,with 200,000+miles[some over 400,000] running fine and all stock

how many of all the people here really know of cp4 failures?,,and not your cousins brothers,aunts,dads trucks,,,but real failures
20+ customers? Thats great I guess. Thats 20ish customers of how many overall customers? 20 of your customers vs the overall amount of LML out there?

Im pretty sure most people dont know a lot about them. Like I said earlier, I think CP4 failures are less than 5% of all LMLs
Old 11-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmestransfer View Post
I got lucky, had one with over 170,000 miles before I switched to a CP3. Another one with over 500,000 miles, that one never had a lift pump, and is still going LOL.

One of the company trucks that my cousin drives failed at a little over 100,000. Iíve personally seen quite a few at my local diesel shop. Never experienced it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats what Im talking about.

Every end of the spectrum. The one with 500k and NO LIFT PUMP. That is what I mean when I say it depends on the CP4. Some make it 20k miles and some others last 500k.

You'll always hear about the failures, never the success stories.....
Old 11-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
SheeB
Heat Sink

CP4 is rated for 460 HFFR diesel fuel which a lot of fuel apparently doesnít meet this minimum requirement. Factor in the possibility of contaminated fuel (water is a big killer) and IMO recipe for disaster.

What the lift pump setups offer is filtering of fuel and ideally removing any water at the filter level. The water removal for me is the reason I donít use the CAT filter head and retain the stock Racor filter setup.

I donít believe in a lift pump for filtering as I have my own tank on the farm which I know is clean (filtered to 2 micron), fresh fuel that is additized with Optilube properly every time the tanker comes to fill the near empty bulk tank. I understand that most people donít have this option available to them.

I will eventually convert to a CP3 for performance and future reliability (as itís proven itself) though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in