LML: I Love My CP4! - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
gunnerdmax2003
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

What happened with the truck?

2012 GMC Denali HD

Edge monitor, PCV rerouted, FASS 150, Def removed, AFE SS 4inch down pipe back exhaust, MBRP down pipe, WC FAB Y-bridge kit with hot and cold side inter cooling pipes(chevy racing orange), EGR removed, EFI Live by Korey Willis, AFE momentum HD 10R intake, mag hytec Deep pan , leveled by cognito stage 3 kit with UCA's. Caltrac traction bars, Kryptonite straight center link, tie rods, PISC kit, HD sway bar end links, Amsoil in both diffs.Toyo Open Country A/T II 295/60R20s (34x11.61R20) on SOTA REPR 20x9 machined.

previous truck:

2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax

edge with attitude, AFE intake, MBRP 4inch stainless

H2 rims 315/70/17 BFG AT's

Should have never got rid of her!

Edge monitor, PCV rerouted, FASS 150, Def removed, AFE SS 4inch down pipe back exhaust, MBRP down pipe, WC FAB Y-bridge kit with hot and cold side inter cooling pipes(chevy racing orange), EGR removed, EFI Live by Korey Willis, AFE momentum HD 10R intake, mag hytec Deep pan , leveled by cognito stage 3 kit with UCA's. Caltrac traction bars, Kryptonite straight center link, tie rods, PISC kit, HD sway bar end links, Amsoil in both diffs.Toyo Open Country A/T II 295/60R20s (34x11.61R20) on SOTA REPR 20x9 machined.
previous truck:
2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

I am the original owner of 2012 3500HD and I currently have 108900 miles on it with no mods. Should I have my CP4 pump replaced with a CP3 before it grenades? I don't want to add a fas kit or lift pump. I just want to know if there is a better after market direct replacement pump. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
I am the original owner of 2012 3500HD and I currently have 108900 miles on it with no mods. Should I have my CP4 pump replaced with a CP3 before it grenades? I don't want to add a fas kit or lift pump. I just want to know if there is a better after market direct replacement pump. Thanks.
I don't think you have a cp4, I might be mistaken but cp4 were on 2015+ years. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

2011, when the LML was released, is when the cp4 started being used. Anything pre-LML is cp3...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Thanks, I am glad my 09 has a CP3.
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdmax2003 View Post
What happened with the truck?

2012 GMC Denali HD

previous truck:

2003 Chevy 2500HD dmax

Funny that you ask.

Truck has been pretty much a paperweight in my driveway ever since that day. I refuse to take on more credit card debt and I refuse to take a hit on my savings. I just happened to find the money and saved it for the black Friday sales and got some great deals. As of yesterday i purchased:

DDP CP3 Sportsman
OEM injectors
OEM fuel rails and return line
Fass 165 with sump
HSP Y bridge
Down pipe
2" Stainless Steel Up pipes
water pump

I was planning on doing the work myself to save $$$ but right now, time is very important so I am probably have my friend do the work. I cant wait to get her on the road again. I miss her dearly....

Quote:
In all honesty, I hate spending money, no more than I'd have to. I would do a CP3 swap in a heartbeat! With the slightest contamination of fuel or bump in power (tuned), can grenade the CP4 without trying. The water separator should catch it, but if its too much......boom. I promise a CP3 swap is much cheaper than swapping a Cp3 because the CP4 blew. Metal shards throughout the fuel system is no joke. and $2k just for injectors plus your CP3 and then your lift pump install, the bill can get high quick.

If the truck is your money maker, do the swap. If this is the last truck you'll ever buy, do the swap. Luckily when mine shot craps when I was heading to work and less than 20 miles from home. Nothing would suck worse than to be on a family vacation or towing and this happens.

At the end of the day, these CP4 failures are less than 5% of all LMLs in my opinion. There are thousands of trucks like yourself un-modded and run well past 300k miles with minimal issues. It's almost like playing the lottery, do you have the lucky CP4 or not....... Good luck
Old 11-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjones View Post
I don't think you have a cp4, I might be mistaken but cp4 were on 2015+ years. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.
2011-2015 are the CP4s. I think the 2016 has something slightly different but dont quote me on that. The L5P supposedly doesnt have that issue with the injection pump. Not sure if its a version of a CP4 with a factory lift pump or not. Dont quote me on that either......
Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

At the end of the day, these CP4 failures are less than 5% of all LMLs in my opinion. There are thousands of trucks like yourself un-modded and run well past 300k miles with minimal issues. It's almost like playing the lottery, do you have the lucky CP4 or not....... Good luck.

For added piece of mind I decided that I'm going to install the Fast Titanium 95GPH lift pump kit.
For those of you who have a Fass kit installed are you still using your factory fuel/water filter or did you delete it? I noticed they make a delete kit for it.
I'm going to keep my factory filter installed. The more filters, the better.

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 11-27-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
SwampWS6
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
For added piece of mind I decided that I'm going to install the Fast Titanium 95GPH lift pump kit.
For those of you who have a Fass kit installed are you still using your factory fuel/water filter or did you delete it? I noticed they make a delete kit for it.
I'm going to keep my factory filter installed. The more filters, the better.
My opinion, the CP4 is just problematic. Adding a lift pump somewhat helps but the failures still happen. If you have any type of warranty, the lift pump will void that.

When I have my lift pump installed, I plan on running CAT filters on the FASS and still retain my factory filter.

Make sure you do the sump install as well because most lift pumps supposedly act weird when the tank gets under 1/4.....
Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
NorCal2500HD
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjones View Post
I don't think you have a cp4, I might be mistaken but cp4 were on 2015+ years. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confuzeld.gif[/IMG]
2011-2015 are the CP4s. I think the 2016 has something slightly different but dont quote me on that. The L5P supposedly doesnt have that issue with the injection pump. Not sure if its a version of a CP4 with a factory lift pump or not. Dont quote me on that either......
All LMLs have the CP4. 2015+ got a redesigned CP4.

L5P moved away from Bosh fuel components entirely and is using Denso.

Last edited by NorCal2500HD; 11-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in