MPG question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mp06011999

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
amanda121287
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

MPG question

I recently lifted the truck and am running 35 inch tires. Was just wondering if it would be worth it to look into some parts falling off the truck to gain a few MPG? I was getting around 20 when running stock and now with the lift and tires getting around 15/16.

I'm not looking for big power gains just better mpg.

Trucks a 2014 2500 4x4

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda121287 View Post
I recently lifted the truck and am running 35 inch tires. Was just wondering if it would be worth it to look into some parts falling off the truck to gain a few MPG? I was getting around 20 when running stock and now with the lift and tires getting around 15/16.

Trucks a 2014 2500 4x4

thanks
Welcome to the forum!

With these trucks, it's not the weight that kills MPG near as much as the profile. The wind resistance (drag) kills MPG. As the speed goes up, the drag goes up exponentially. So the best thing that you can do for MPG is to lower your profile (pretty impossible and a lift increases it) and the second is to lighten your right foot - keep the speed down. That's about it. Weight is a much smaller factor of MPG with these very capable powerhouses. One of the reasons a dually can get better MPG than SRW. All that extra weight sure didn't seem to hurt it. For even those that tow, it's more about the wind resistance of what they are towing than the weight.

I've traveled all over this country and kept detailed accounts of speed, altitude, temp and air density. And I am 100% positive of what I say above. The wind resistance (drag) is the biggest culprit. Reducing speed, because of this math, is your best bet. Reducing your onboard weight as you mention in an attempt for better MPG is a waste of time.

Now get ready to hear about one engine / fuel device after another (snake oil) that claims to help MPG.....

Btw, notice all the focus in the trucking industry and aviation about reducing drag? That's the science. Reduce drag to increase MPG.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 06-03-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda121287 View Post

Trucks a 2014 2500 4x4

thanks
Did you re-calibrate your speedo with the bigger tires ?
To be real honest if you want to get your mileage back, plain and simple put your old tires back on.

Here, enter your before and after tires to see the speedo difference.
BTW speedo and miles driven are affected, which will affect everything.
You didn't mention your tire sizes old and new, so you'll have to enter them on the link below.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; 06-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Your tires would be the biggest issue, even going to a mud tire vs a highway tire of the same size costs you mpg’s let alone a bigger tire.
NRA Member, GOAL member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in