2016 Fuel Filter Replacement - Pump Prime??? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
tmrut5
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2016 Fuel Filter Replacement - Pump Prime???

So replaced the fuel filter for the first time on my 2016, went to prime the pump by opening the bleeder screw and kept pumping but never got any fuel to come out the bleeders screw. Tried what some suggested by closing screw and pumping a few times and opening the screw, and repeating, still couldn't get fuel to come out screw. So I took off the filter to see if the gasket was out of place but it was in place. But I did notice that inside the fuel filter it had fuel in it, looked to be about the same amount of fuel as the old filter when I took it off. So I put it back on and tried pumping with the bleeder screw open and could not get fuel to bubble out. So I went ahead and started the truck and let it run for about 10 minutes, and then I put the fender lining back on while still running the engine, so that means the engine ran continuously for about 20-25 minutes no problems. I am assuming that was more then long enough for it to run beyond then the fuel that was already in the system. So what I am asking is was I suppose to see fuel squirt out the screw? There was fuel in the new filter when I took it off to checked the gasket. Should I not worry since I let it run 25 minutes no issues. Thanks for any guidance. This is my first diesel engine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
carhauler
Diesel Pro

You are likely OK but it should bubble out the bleed screw, I would maybe run some laps close to home and then not worry maybe a fluke. I know they are hard as hell to get to screw and primer pump on a LML so maybe it just wanted a more vigorous pump. Sorry could not give a definitive answer but if its running and starting OK you should be fine.

Last edited by carhauler; 03-10-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Roachie
Diesel Starter

Honestly, do yourself a huge favor and install a lift pump.... preferably one with extra filtration such as a FASS or AirDog.

I've installed a FASS and when I change a filter (either the FASS one or the OE one), I prime it by pressing a momentary contact micro switch I installed under the truck near the FASS.

My FASS is mounted above the drive shaft just fore of the rear diff and the microswitch is mounted inside a sealed plastic box. When I want to prime the system I just flip the lid off the little plastic box and press the microswitch with one finger/hand and have the other hand on the FASS filter to tighten it up before too much fuel escapes. With the OE filter, which doesn't get changed very often because the fuel it gets to "see" is already as clean as a whistle, I do the same but have to just monitor the fuel escaping from the bleeder screw from where I'm laying on the ground near the back wheel.

Roachie
Mickey Thompson 305/70/R18; twin spares.
TUFF bullbar.
FASS 150 lift pump/filters + back-up Kennedy lift pump.
Bean's fuel tank sump kit. Titan 57 gallon tank.
Banks 4" straight thru exhaust and cold air intake.
Fyrlyt Nemisis 250 watt spot lights
Front, side and rear LED bars.
Extra 100a/h battery in back to run 60 litre fridge.
PX07 air compressor and 18 litre tank.
3 sets of air horns.
EFI Live tunes (using TOW tune)
AirSafe Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
tmrut5
Low Boost

Thanks for the reply. This my first diesel, can you tell me what the advantages of adding a lift pump are. Thanks
Old 03-11-2018, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Roachie
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrut5 View Post
Thanks for the reply. This my first diesel, can you tell me what the advantages of adding a lift pump are. Thanks
GM don't supply a pump in or near the fuel tank to send fuel up to the engine compartment.

Instead, they rely on the High Pressure Injection Pump (HPIP) to create a vacuum in the fuel lines including the filter to "suck" the fuel up from the tank.

Try to imagine for a moment....you are up in the engine bay with a length of tubing going all the way to the back of the truck and into a soda bottle....but in between the tubing goes through a restrictive canister (ie: the fuel filter).

Now try to imagine sucking that soda drink through the tubing. You might be able to do it, but it's not going to be easy.

Add to that the fact that there are several junctions between rubber hose and steel tubing and the IN/OUT from the filter housing.....all of which are potential failure points....if one of these joints develops a tiny air leak, then you're going to be sucking AIR, not soda (or diesel fuel in the case of your HPIP.

Add to that, the CP4 HPIP in the LML is reputably an inferior product to that which was provided in the earlier models; which had a CP3 HPIP.

The CP4 needs all the help it can get to avoid self-destructing.

One of the best things you can do to try and protect your vulnerable CP4 is to take away one of its tasks....by adding a good quality lift pump which will ensure it ALWAYS has a good fuel supply to its front door.

I've gone one step further in my quest. I've added a Beans Diesel sump kit.

The reason for this bit of gear is this: The lift pump draws fuel from the tank at a much faster rate than the HPIP did on its own. The FASS takes 150 gallons per hour and returns most of it back to the tank.

Have a look at this LONG video for the reasons they do this....

That's all good and well...but the portion of the fuel "system" between the bottom of the tank and the inlet of the FASS (or any other lift pump), relies upon the "drawstraw" that lives inside the tank. That drawstraw is the next weakest link. There is a phenomenon known as "the quarter tank issue".

This relates to the scene inside the tank. The drawstraw goes from the top of the tank to the bottom of the tank, where it resides happily inside a plastic canister called a "swirl pot". The height of this swirl pot is approximately 1/4 the total height of the tank. While there is plenty of fuel in the tank such that the fuel simply falls into the swirl pot, all is okay.

However, when the fuel level in the tank gets to a point where it is below the lip of the swirl pot, the fuel has to enter the swirl pot via a relatively restrictive small hole. The result is that the FASS itself can cavitate and starve for fuel....which puts you right back where you started; no fuel getting to the HPIP.

I hope this explains it reasonably well for you.

Cheers from Australia

Roachie
Mickey Thompson 305/70/R18; twin spares.
TUFF bullbar.
FASS 150 lift pump/filters + back-up Kennedy lift pump.
Bean's fuel tank sump kit. Titan 57 gallon tank.
Banks 4" straight thru exhaust and cold air intake.
Fyrlyt Nemisis 250 watt spot lights
Front, side and rear LED bars.
Extra 100a/h battery in back to run 60 litre fridge.
PX07 air compressor and 18 litre tank.
3 sets of air horns.
EFI Live tunes (using TOW tune)
AirSafe Hitch
Old 03-11-2018, 03:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
carhauler
Diesel Pro

Roachie, Excellent Post Very informative !!!! Thanks
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

and yet 1 million+ trucks are running around ,stock with-out a lift pump,,

GM must be stupid
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
tmrut5
Low Boost

Roachie thank you for the detailed explanation. Definately sounds like a bad design on GM's part on the OE
Old 03-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

How far open are you turning the bleed screw?

They just need to be cracked a tiny amount - enough to let air/fuel blow thru.

I've never had the type of trouble being described when priming any of my dmax's.

It may need repair/replacement of the primer.
Some have had to replace fuel filter heads.

There is way the GM service and dealer system would put up with that kind of trouble if all of those engines had that kind of trouble priming.

And for that matter, there would be many threads about it on every diesel forum if they all had the problem.
Sorry, but it sounds like a 'method' problem or a 'broken part' problem.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 03-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
tmrut5
Low Boost

I tried cracking it, I tried a couple turns open. I just got done driving it a bunch and no issues. So I just tried cracking the screw, thought I heard air release, tried priming and nothing. Closed screw and drove some more. Must be the priming pump. Weird thing is that when I first installed and it didn't prime and I took the filter off to check seal, there was fuel in the filter similar to when I took old one off. Even though the truck seems to be getting fuel, I am going to take to dealer, hopefully they won't say I broke it!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in